Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> GPD Pocket Reviews
TheWalt
post Jun 20 2017, 04:21 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,836

Ok quick opening post for the GPD Pocket reviews.

I got mine yesterday and am very impressed with build quality. Went with the windows version, I hear the linux models are delayed due to kernel support. Havne't had any power or fan issues as some reported.

Only had time to run windows updates but plan on doing more this week and can post results / answer questions here.

Anyone else who gets theirs feel free to reply in this thread with thoughts as well.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Varti
post Jun 20 2017, 04:28 AM
Post #2

Group: Admin
Member No.: 21,713

Congrats on your new arrival.

I'm curious about the keyboard usability: how comfortable is it to use it, and how fast can you type on it compared to a Zaurus? Is there any missing key in the layout?

Varti

+Quote Post
ArchiMark
post Jun 25 2017, 10:48 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 208

Got mine too......

So far, great!

Keyboard is pretty good so far, but like all mini laptops, you need to get used to it.

It''s probably one of the best one I've used.

+Quote Post
Varti
post Jun 25 2017, 11:49 PM
Post #4

Great, looking forward for reviews and impressions, I hope that Linux support won't take too long to be released.

Varti

+Quote Post
Varti
post Jun 30 2017, 04:10 AM
Post #5

If you can't wait to get official Linux support, here's a page with a list of scripts and tweaks for Debian, Ubuntu and Linux Mint on the Pocket:

https://github.com/stockmind/gpd-pocket-ubuntu-respin

Varti

+Quote Post
njefferies
post Jul 3 2017, 01:36 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 10,611

Having now gone to the effort on tuning the Windows install with with ThrottleStop, NTLite and Spybot-anti-beacon I am loathe to blow it away to try Ubuntu (would rather have openSuse anyway but Kubuntu is servicable). Am seriously considering getting another one for that! With LibreOffice, RawTherapee, Firefox and NextCloud client running on Windows I have no immediate incentive to switch to Linux...although running some server stuff on the Pocket would be neat if a good hack for more internal storage were to materialise.

Everything seems to be working well and with ThrottleStop setting the package power limit to 2W (with a burst to 5W) rather than the 5W and 15W that it shipped with then I can get 8-10 hours battery life with normal desktop usage (mail, editing office docs, bit of browsing, NextCloud syncing in background). However, 2W is not enough for full HD YouTube playback (3W is fine) - but I can't actually really see the difference between 1080P and 720P on the display at any reasonable viewing distance so I'm not overly bothered.

+Quote Post
Varti
post Jul 3 2017, 06:40 AM
Post #7

You mentioned that you are using an image processing program (RawTherapee)... I'm just curious to know: how feasible is image editing on the Pocket's small 7" screen? Can it be used just for basic retouches, or it is useful for more complex editing?

Varti

+Quote Post
njefferies
post Jul 4 2017, 12:46 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 10,611

I use it for raw processing and overall image corrections so no retouching. To be honest I haven't found trackpoints or capacitative touchscreens really precise enough but a bluetooth mouse works fine. Screen size isn't a problem - after the U810 and Zaurus it's pretty large - mouse wheel zoom makes it pretty quick to get precision when you need it.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st July 2017 - 11:00 PM