OESF | ELSI | pdaXrom | OpenZaurus | Zaurus Themes | Community Links | Ibiblio

IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How Many Of You Are Recent Switchers?, Just wondering...
eji
post Jul 12 2006, 10:05 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,659

This isn't a Mac "issue" per se, but it doesn't really belong in a non-Mac-related forum here.

We're a pretty geeky crowd here, and I was wondering how many of you fellow Z users are recent (as in, the past year) switchers to the Mac? You get one side on, for instance, the MacRumors forums, where non-techie folks seem to be a dime a dozen, but it'd be nice to get some idea of how many power users have taken the plunge.

For the record, I switched in the pre-iPod days.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
adf
post Jul 12 2006, 10:14 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 4,572

QUOTE(eji @ Jul 12 2006, 06:05 PM)
This isn't a Mac "issue" per se, but it doesn't really belong in a non-Mac-related forum here.

We're a pretty geeky crowd here, and I was wondering how many of you fellow Z users are recent (as in, the past year) switchers to the Mac? You get one side on, for instance, the MacRumors forums, where non-techie folks seem to be a dime a dozen, but it'd be nice to get some idea of how many power users have taken the plunge.

Linux linux linux and linux--and a win2k installation on an old scsi to run games smile.gif

+Quote Post
koen
post Jul 12 2006, 10:45 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 6,107

QUOTE(eji @ Jul 12 2006, 06:05 PM)

I switched about 2 years ago when the uni mandated laptops, and i didn't want to spend a year getting linux to work on it -> powerbook 12". My workstation and server are still running linux, though.

+Quote Post
BarryW
post Jul 12 2006, 10:46 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 3,570

I've also been a mac guy since before the iPod. If anybody had technical mac questions, fire away. That's what I do for a living. I'm also a linux geek and keep one winxp machine for gaming.

+Quote Post
InSearchOf
post Jul 12 2006, 11:13 AM
Post #5

Group: Admin
Member No.: 8,961

Converted to Linux (Offically) back in 2002...
(Dove into Mandrake, Redhat and Debian back in the mid-late 90's but never stuck)
Haven't looked back since... if I didn't have to use the Active Directory Admin tools at work... I would run Linux on my 'all' my pc's at work...
(I have a total of 3 desktops on my desk... Fedora, Solaris 10 and XP)

Late

+Quote Post
dhns
post Jul 12 2006, 11:34 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 2,043

Hi, here my story:

I am a Mac user since 1992 and switched from M68000 to PowerPC and not yet to Intel (still waiting for the Powerbook G5 - oops - the MacBook Pro Merom). So, I used the Mac even before the modern Zaurus appeared (there was a non-Linux Zaurus 5800 with a full PCMCIA slot around 1996 and of course the Newton).

And before that I was a user of HP/UX 9.x and 10.x - at that time a really great system based on X11 and Motif/Xt. And even before NeXT was developed (but those guys knew the HP/UX system).

With this "heritage" the Zaurus was my first Linux system...

-- hns

+Quote Post
chrisl
post Jul 12 2006, 11:52 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 10,198

QUOTE(dhns @ Jul 12 2006, 01:34 PM)
Hi, here my story:

I am a Mac user since 1992 and switched from M68000 to PowerPC and not yet to Intel (still waiting for the Powerbook G5 - oops - the MacBook Pro Merom). So, I used the Mac even before the modern Zaurus appeared (there was a non-Linux Zaurus 5800 with a full PCMCIA slot around 1996 and of course the Newton).

And before that I was a user of HP/UX 9.x and 10.x - at that time a really great system based on X11 and Motif/Xt. And even before NeXT was developed (but those guys knew the HP/UX system).

With this "heritage" the Zaurus was my first Linux system...

-- hns

I am a mac user since 1987 when my wife wanted a computer she could use without taking a class. Since that time I have tried LinuxPPC, Yellow Dog Linux and Debian. Each time I have tried a Linux flavor was due to the need of a command line interface, UNIX tools and programs found on X Windows. With Mac OS X, I am back to mac for good. I have had a performa, a PowerTower Pro, a 9500, a Silver Bullet (which I still have), an iBook provided by work and now a MacBook Pro. I would of waited for a merom based machine, but when my iBook died, my agency provided me a Dell Lattitude piece of junk. I just am not productive on Windows so I bought my own mac laptop. I also owned a Newton which was crushed in the truck of the company car.

While linux is not new to me, the Zaurus is cool, especially after putting up with a hormonal palmos for the last few years.

Chris--

+Quote Post
nevarrie
post Jul 12 2006, 12:27 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 1,112

I have used Mac on and off for years with Mac Plus being used at home beside my linux workstations and servers. I finally worn to a ibook at work since i did not want a windows machine and I still wanted to IT staff to take care of my workstation. I still have a windows workstation but I uses my ibook for almost everything.

I am still debating if I will buy an macbook instead of a linux laptop when I leave my current job to take care of my own company. I still have a few months to decide that though.

+Quote Post
bluedevils
post Jul 12 2006, 12:58 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 1,633

I'm new to mac in this last month. I have a mac mini core solo. I'm using fetchmail, procmail, qpopper, postfix and stunnel to make a more secure mail server for my zaurus to retrieve mail from road runner.

The thing is a dream for having low power, small size, and the OS is both simple, powerful and flexible. I'm still trying to make the time to learn launchd. I wasn't interested in macs until OS X.

The mac is in the company of many boxes (gentoo, solaris 10 x86, kubuntu and xp) and a few laptops.

+Quote Post
Guest_tapjpa_*
post Jul 12 2006, 02:03 PM
Post #10

Guests

I got my first Mac about 1.5 years ago a 12" PowerBook and then about 3 weeks ago I got the new MacBook in Black. I love both machines! only problem I have had of late was when I got my 3200 I'm can see it on the MAC but am unable to see any files ect....
One of these days when things get quiet (like that will ever happen wink.gif ) I'm going to play around and try to figure it out.

Jim

+Quote Post
kopsis
post Jul 12 2006, 07:36 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 3,880

I switched from a Linux desktop to a PowerMac G5 early this year. The experience has been a bit like when I sold my Porsche and bought a Corvette. I loved the Porsche but there were a lot of quirky little things that I had to ignore and there was always something that needed tuning or fixing. The Mac, like the Vette, not only has more power, it's much more usable as a daily driver smile.gif

Now, I still have Linux on my Thinkpad, my web server, my MythTV system, a half dozen virtual machines, and of course, the Zaurus but those are special purpose environments where I can get a narrow arc of capabilities working the way I want and then leave it alone.

+Quote Post
Ferret-Simpson
post Nov 13 2006, 02:54 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 7,295

I'm a mac user since er. . . Thursday. wink.gif

iBook G3 Dual USB (The sexier version of the iBook G4 in translucent white and magnesium instead of white plastic.) 700mhz, 256MB RAM, 40GB HDD, 14", Combo Drive, OS 10.4.7

Now, how do I get it hooked up to my 5600? ^^

+Quote Post
daniel3000
post Nov 13 2006, 04:01 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 7,027

I'll be a Mac user too in a few days. Have ordered a Macbook in order to replace my Windows PC at home.

Of course, I am also interested in the chances to synchronize Macbook and KDEPIM/PI on pdaXrom, also maybe setting up a cross-compiling envoronment for pdaXrom on the Mac etc etc.

I have never used a Mac by now, so I'll be totally new to this system.

Any recommendations regarding software for PIM?

Did someone even get KDEPIM/PI itself to run on the Mac?
Well, the Windows version can probably be used under Parallels, but it should also be possible to compile and use a native Mac version...

daniel

+Quote Post
Snappy
post Nov 13 2006, 04:56 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 5,633

I used an Apple IIe back in the 80s ... that's about as close to a Mac as I ever did ... minus playing with executor emulator and couple of others ... wink.gif

I might be getting another notebook in the new year and hey, might just get a mac! ... but as it is ... the Kohjisha is high on my list as a potential. 8D ... Although it does not have a touch screen ... it can still be pretty nifty in slate form as an ebook. 8)

Too bad Apple never quite make a convertible tablet ... and the only 3rd party modder company EOLed that family of products. sad.gif

+Quote Post
bam
post Nov 17 2006, 01:50 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 7,306

recently I played with a macbook and I was impressed with the ease of use and speed. best of all its unix based as far as I can tell. So I am saving for a macbook pro, unless I get impatient then i will grab just the regular macbook. smile.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd September 2014 - 12:24 AM