OESF | ELSI | pdaXrom | OpenZaurus | Zaurus Themes | Community Links | Ibiblio

IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fubar'd My 4 Gb Sd -- Please Help, Fdisked down to to 1 GB...
sleepy
post May 8 2006, 07:22 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,739

Hey folks,

I picked up a 4 GB SD card which worked wonderfully with Cacko using the new SD module and also worked out of the box with OZ GPE 3.5.4.1-beta2 (A-data 150X -- ~ $100 USD from zipzoomfly.com). Of course, not willing to leave well enough alone I decided I want to format it ext2 to faciliatate symlinking on the card. So, after foolishly messing about with mkfs.ext2 and fdisk on my linux machine I now have a SD card that thinks it's 1 GB sad.gif

Ideally I would like a 4 GB ext2 card but right now I would love to have it back to it's old 4 GB vfat self. I'm hoping that some fdisk guru can walk me through some incantation to restore it back to the right cylinder size, # of sectors, etc. If anyone has any other ideas I'm all ears -- you'll have my undying gratitude.

Thanks,
Sleepy
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cresho
post May 8 2006, 10:35 PM
Post #2

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 809

easy....boot up your handheld and stick in your sd card.
open up terminal

okay do this first.
CODE
su
fdisk /dev/mmcda1
d
d
d
d

the d=delete and the 1-4 reffers to the partitions you created. delete all

now create your partition table
CODE
n
p
988(this part select the highest number which will tell you in the line..so for my 2gb i did 988 cuz it asks me 1-988----and yours the number is much higher.this part is self explanatory)

now you are ready to create type of format.

CODE
t
w

the t=change partition id, 1=selects partition you want to mess with, 6=tells it to do fat16, w=tells it to write.
now you have fat16. you must reboot or what ever so your permissions can revert back to normal. I dont want to bable on changing permmissions.

and another thing, this should not be here. should be in oz forums. this is the sharprom forums. wink.gif

+Quote Post
sleepy
post May 9 2006, 12:38 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(Cresho @ May 8 2006, 10:35 PM)
easy....boot up your handheld and stick in your sd card.
open up terminal

okay do this first.
CODE
su
fdisk /dev/mmcda1
d
d
d
d

the d=delete and the 1-4 reffers to the partitions you created.  delete all

now create your partition table
CODE
n
p
988(this part select the highest number which will tell you in the line..so for my 2gb i did 988 cuz it asks me 1-988----and yours the number is much higher.this part is self explanatory)

now you are ready to create type of format.

CODE
t
w

the t=change partition id, 1=selects partition you want to mess with, 6=tells it to do fat16, w=tells it to write.
now you have fat16.  you must reboot or what ever so your permissions can revert back to normal.  I dont want to bable on changing permmissions.

and another thing, this should not be here.  should be in oz forums.  this is the sharprom forums.  wink.gif

Brilliant! Worked like a charm biggrin.gif

Sorry about the offtopic post wink.gif

Sleepy

+Quote Post
Cresho
post May 9 2006, 01:10 PM
Post #4

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 809

Really? you actually understood it? tongue.gif

+Quote Post
sleepy
post May 9 2006, 06:28 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(Cresho @ May 9 2006, 01:10 PM)
Really?  you actually understood it?  tongue.gif

Actually, I had tried to do the same on my laptop running Ubuntu but fdisk thought it was a 1 GB card (kernel 2.6.15.1). I'm guessing the 2.6.16 that comes with OZ allows fdisk to properly recognize the full 4GB. I did decide to format it ext2 instead of fat16 for improved flexibility (partition type 83 followed with an mkfs.ext).

Just so this isn't totally offtopic, the card did work well with Cacko 1.23 as well (C1000) but with Tetsu's updated sd driver package.

Thanks again for your help smile.gif

Sleepy

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th September 2014 - 09:37 PM