Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Oz3.5.3 Wpa_gui, What Other Packages Needed
sibble-comp-oesf
post Jul 17 2006, 11:24 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,814

OKay, running 3.5.3 and want to get wpa-gui running on the unit. Using the 3.5.4 base and opie sources under recommendation from another thread, I also added the x11 source for 3.5.4, and got wpa-gui and it's dependencies all installed, but when run I get "cannot connect to X server" what packages do I need to install now to resolve this issue??
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tekisui
post Aug 10 2006, 07:27 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 6,699

I'm in the same boat you are. I've got a 5600 with OZ3.5.4 and want to get WPA working, but have no idea where to start. Can you slap a detailed list of the steps you've taken so far, so I can see if I can come up with the next steps? Also, is the wpa gui available via the feeds? If so, you theoretically should be able to just do
# ipkg install wpa-gui
And it pull the dependencies, including x11. Theoretically. I dunno if it'll do that drastic of a job of meeting dependencies, though..

+Quote Post
Hrw
post Aug 11 2006, 12:03 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 1,413

wpa-gui use qt4/x11 so it need X11 enviroment. OPIE users have to edit /etc/wpa-supplicant.conf by hand (it is easy).

+Quote Post
koen
post Aug 11 2006, 12:17 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 6,107

QUOTE(tekisui @ Aug 10 2006, 03:27 PM)
And it pull the dependencies, including x11. Theoretically. I dunno if it'll do that drastic of a job of meeting dependencies, though..

It will pull in *all* dependencies it needs to run, OZ prides itself in having working depencies, unlike all other distros for the Z.
And no, it won't pull in a Xserver, since it doesn't need that to run, because you can point the $DISPLAY to your workstation running X.

+Quote Post
sibble-comp-oesf
post Aug 11 2006, 01:29 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(koen @ Aug 11 2006, 01:17 AM)
It will pull in *all* dependencies it needs to run, OZ prides itself in having working depencies, unlike all other distros for the Z.
And no, it won't pull in a Xserver, since it doesn't need that to run, because you can point the $DISPLAY to your workstation running X.

Hmmm, well on my 3.5.3 unit, I had to do a LOT of the dependencies manually :-( Even though I'd set my sources pointing to the 3.5.4 feeds as you'd (Koen) recommended to me under the "Pwm/pi Won't Work On Oz 3.5.3" thread. Now I am at running wpa_gui from the cli and getting:

wpa_gui: cannot connect to X server

echo $DISPLAY comes back blank. I assume this is what you are refering too?

+Quote Post
sibble-comp-oesf
post Aug 11 2006, 08:15 AM
Post #6

Also running export DISPLAY= results in

export xx DISPLAY: bad variable name

where xx is a number the increments each time the command is run. Doesn't matter what you have after the '='

+Quote Post
sibble-comp-oesf
post Aug 11 2006, 06:33 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(Hrw @ Aug 11 2006, 01:03 AM)
wpa-gui use qt4/x11 so it need X11 enviroment. OPIE users have to edit /etc/wpa-supplicant.conf by hand (it is easy).

Sure, when you only have 1 or 2 access points to connect too, it's easy, when you have say a dozen or more that you use regularly and that change the keys regularly, it gets less easy. Add in random other access points that you connect to on a random/infrequent basis and easy goes out the door. Add in a mix of AP's that use different crypto algo's and authentication methods and you end up wishing for a gui based wifi network configurator.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2014 - 05:37 PM