Varti @ 08-11-17 00:33
Read: 460   Comments: 2
Varti @ 08-9-17 02:12
Read: 1,111   Comments: 0
koan @ 08-8-17 05:38
Read: 554   Comments: 3

> First impressions on the Gemini PDA
Posted by Varti - 09-18-17 00:30 - 3 comments
""Tiny" in the USA connotes "toy-like", and people expect toys to be (a) cheap and (b) not suitable for doing real work. Not so in Japan, where "tiny" connotes "finely crafted" and "precious"."

A very interesting and thoughtful insight on today's need of small devices with real keyboards, and some interesting information about the Gemini from the backers' meeting during the recent MWC America show in San Francisco.

https://hasbrouck.org/blog/archives/002303.html

Some interesting facts: the first 100 produced units will be used for testing to failure, "(...) including drop and vibration testing, keyboard testing, and at least 10,000 opening and closing cycles of the clamshell hinge." 2.000 units will be produced for the backers, and other 8.000 for sale through other channels. The company will break even with those 10.000 units, but sales of at least 100.000 units will be required for profitability.

The main targets for the device are previous Psion owners (and I'd add Zaurus ones), the Japanese market (roughly 40% of the backers are Japanese) and writers.

The device will ship with a special tool to be used to pry off the cover to get access to the SIM card, eSIM and micro-SD card slots, possibly the battery too. Automatic adjustment of the screen brightness, depending on ambient light, is planned (I wonder if the GPD devices have this feature too). Neither a stylus nor a stylus holder will be included, but they are planned as an option at a later stage.

Varti
Read 206 times - last comment by ArchiMark   

> New Gemini PDA forums added
Posted by Varti - 08-11-17 01:03 - 3 comments
Hi,

After the latest progress updates on the Gemini PDA campaign I have now decided to open a new forum dedicated to it. I have divided it into 3 subforums (hardware, Linux and Android). In the next months I'll post there any news and updates about this project, and anyone having an interest on this device is of course welcomed to contribute.
Attached Image

Varti
Read 2,277 times - last comment by speculatrix   

> Noodle PI, a new crowdfunded handheld based on the Raspberry PI
Posted by Varti - 08-9-17 02:12 - 0 comments
Ashish Gulhati, who is according to Wikipedia "[...] one of India's first online activists and open source hackers", is currently holding a crowdfunding campaign on Kickstarter for a portable case for the Raspberry Pi Zero, called Noodle PI.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hash42...-pocket-compute

Attached Image

The project includes a high-resolution multi-touch screen, a battery, a power management system, and a camera inside the case. With 7 days still remaining for the end of the campaign, it has already reached CA$ 9,821 of its CA$ 1,024 goal. It's third stretch goal has been enabled, too: the production of the Noodle Key Micro dock, which allows to use a readily available backlit mini-keyboard with the device, making the device a fully fledged UMPC.

On a side note, mr. Gulhati still owns a Zaurus SL-C3100, which he claims to be the most usable among all the portable devices he has owned, although "[...] it was still too small and fiddly, and didn't have backlit keys or built-in WiFi or Bluetooth", hence the need for this project.

Varti
Read 1,111 times - make a comment   

> OESF Portal now set as the main page
Posted by Varti - 07-28-17 04:38 - 4 comments
As previously announced, I have now set the Portal as the forum's main page. I have created 4 new forums for the news too, all the threads opened there will appear on the portal, while all the other (sub)forums will appear only on the main forum, as always. Let me know if you like this change, and if any of you would like to help me with posting news items.

I have followed the suggestion made by koan, now the portal and the forum can be reached as follows:

Portal: http://www.oesf.org
Forums: http://www.oesf.org/forums

You can reach the forums also from the portal, by clicking on one of the two links on the top left side, or on any thread title.

Varti
Read 2,170 times - last comment by Varti   

> New Forum Layout
Posted by Varti - 03-7-17 08:13 - 1 comments
Hi,

As you have noticed, we have now a new forum layout which should better serve the current needs, a long overdue change I believe. This is what has been changed:

- many forums, which are not used anymore since years, have now been archived in a new Archived forums section. All the forums there are read-only, so no new thread can be added or replied to. If required, you can open a new thread in one of the active forums and link to the older thread
- some older forums have been merged into single ones
- the whole forum is now not a (mostly) Zaurus-only one anymore; the sections which are devoted to the Zaurus are now clearly labeled as such. This is done so that any newcomer will find it easier to find out, in the Model Specific section, to which model is each forum related to.

The ELSI and Wiki forums will remain the same as before, we'll eventually change them when both the Wiki and the ELSI will be back online.

If you need any new forum to be opened, or any old one to be taken out of the archive, please let me know.

Varti
Read 9,170 times - last comment by TheWalt   

> Latest News
Posted by Varti - 12-25-16 04:21 - 4 comments
Hi everyone,

I think it is time to update all of you on what's happening behind the scenes, regarding this forum's administration. I have some good news for you to share: Speculatrix and me have finally gained access to the OESF's shell account on ibiblio. This means that we can now remove all the malware that has gathering here during the last years. I have done a preliminary search and cleanup, unfortunately there are still files though which can be only removed by the host's admins, I'll get in touch with them once I'll complete the list of all the malicious files. We have now a complete backup of both the forum's files and the database, I'm doing manual backups for now but I'll see if I can set an automatic rsync setup. Also, Speculatrix and me have been thinking of upgrading the Invision Power Board software to the latest version (we are using the 2.3.1 version, which was in September 2007; the current version is 4.1.17.1), in order to make it more secure to all the latest malware floating around, more about this later.

We can now put back online the Wiki, too; there's already a great replacement Wiki that has been recently setup by koan (thanks!), we can decide to keep it there or move it on this server. For now, in place of the old Wiki pages I have put a redirection link to the forum itself, so that it can be accessed by just typing oesf.org.
Regarding elsix, all the files are unfortunately stored on a different account on ibiblio, and for now we still don't have access to it. I'll keep hunting for the account details, also there are a couple of ex-maintainers which we can get in touch with.

That's it for now. What I'd really like for this forum is to continue to be a reference for both all the information regarding the Zaurus (and I believe it's the only remaining English forum devoted to it), and any other present and future device which shares the same philosophy as the Z.

Warm greetings and best wishes for Christmas and the New Year!

Varti
Read 8,118 times - last comment by Varti   

> Just In Case Of Dns Problems
Posted by speculatrix - 10-3-16 04:31 - 0 comments
Just in case we get DNS problems, it's worth adding the following to your hosts file

# last checked 20161003
#152.19.134.41 www.oesf.org vhost.ibiblio.org

then if the oesf.org domain loses valid DNS, you can still access the forums by uncommenting the 2nd line.
Read 7,684 times - make a comment   

> News About Moderators, Admins And Registration Validation.
Posted by speculatrix - 10-1-16 08:01 - 6 comments
Hello Everyone,
It's been a long time. we're all older and greyer I'm sure.

I appointed a new moderator today, thanks Varti for being volunteered.

I also amended the sign-up/validation process to hopefully make it easier for someone to become a member. Even the validation forums had become full of spam. Varti kindly cleaned a lot of it out, I only did the first four pages, Varti did the other 20-ish!

I'd like some other active members to volunteer to be moderators too. And if people can second their appointment, promote someone to be an admin as well.

One problem we have is that there doesn't appear to be anyone with a shell account on the server, or ftp access to remove some of the dodgy files which have been put onto the server when security was breached. I am hoping we can get that and make things better.

I'll try and spin another whole forum archive using httrack and post a squashfs archive with namazu free text DB like I once did long ago.

Best wishes,
Paul
Read 7,956 times - last comment by Varti   

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd September 2017 - 06:04 PM