> Restarting After A "shutdown -h 1"
guscpu
post Mar 18 2008, 12:03 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,696

Have done a shutdown after exiting the GUI as follows

shutdown -h 1

Z shuts down but when i press the power button to reboot nothing happens. The only way it seems to restart is to pull the battery, why does this happen.

If i want to shutdown the Z to conserve power what should i be doing so i can reboot it without having to pull the power each time?

Cheers
Gus
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Capn_Fish
post Mar 18 2008, 12:39 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 10,575

Have you tried

CODE
shutdown -h now

? That's how I normally shut down from the CLI.

+Quote Post
kkazakov13
post Mar 18 2008, 01:31 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 13,063

Why anyone needs shutdown at all ?

I do suspend always - never ever had any problems.

+Quote Post
guscpu
post Mar 18 2008, 01:45 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(Capn_Fish @ Mar 18 2008, 08:39 PM) *
Have you tried

CODE
shutdown -h now

? That's how I normally shut down from the CLI.

same problem, I'm afraid.

+Quote Post
Stubear
post Mar 18 2008, 02:46 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 1,219

I remember from way back in the days the C7xx came out that there was a number of threads on this topic. I can't seem to find them now, but it had something to do with the way the power button is wired. The Z is not designed to be shutdown, but suspended.

The power button doesn't actually power on the device, and when shutdown the unit can't receive the signal from the button. Removing the battery puts the unit back in a state where it can receive the power button signal.

The take home message that I got from the discussion was - don't use shutdown unless you are willing to pull the battery to restart.

Cheers

Stu

+Quote Post
guscpu
post Mar 18 2008, 02:56 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(Stubear @ Mar 18 2008, 10:46 PM) *
I remember from way back in the days the C7xx came out that there was a number of threads on this topic. I can't seem to find them now, but it had something to do with the way the power button is wired. The Z is not designed to be shutdown, but suspended.

The power button doesn't actually power on the device, and when shutdown the unit can't receive the signal from the button. Removing the battery puts the unit back in a state where it can receive the power button signal.

The take home message that I got from the discussion was - don't use shutdown unless you are willing to pull the battery to restart.

Cheers

Stu

Thanks Stu that seems to bear out from what I've seen smile.gif

Gus

+Quote Post
guscpu
post Mar 19 2008, 05:55 AM
Post #7

Cheers

Stu

In that case is there any way of putting the Z into suspend mode from the Command Line Interface?

+Quote Post
kkazakov13
post Mar 19 2008, 07:23 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 13,063

QUOTE(guscpu @ Mar 19 2008, 03:55 PM) *

Cheers

Stu

In that case is there any way of putting the Z into suspend mode from the Command Line Interface?

apm --suspend

+Quote Post
guscpu
post Mar 19 2008, 02:47 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(kkazakov13 @ Mar 19 2008, 03:23 PM) *
QUOTE(guscpu @ Mar 19 2008, 03:55 PM) *

Cheers

Stu

apm --suspend

tried suspend already....

bash: suspend: cannot suspend a login shell

+Quote Post
Jon_J
post Mar 19 2008, 04:41 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 8,821

I see by your signature, you are running pdaxii13.
Have you tried "Suspend" on the menu?
My C3200 suspends immediately after clicking it.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  screencap1.png ( 220.21K ) Number of downloads: 11

+Quote Post
guscpu
post Mar 20 2008, 11:33 AM
Post #11

QUOTE(Jon_J @ Mar 20 2008, 12:41 AM) *
I see by your signature, you are running pdaxii13.
Have you tried "Suspend" on the menu?
My C3200 suspends immediately after clicking it.

From the GUI suspend works, but am wondering is there an equivalent for the CLI.

Thanks

+Quote Post
Jon_J
post Mar 20 2008, 01:53 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 8,821

I was looking for something else, and found the script that is tied to the "Suspend" icon on the start menu.
It's located here
/usr/apps/suspend
In Rox filer, you need to navagate to /usr/apps/ then right-click on Suspend and select "Look inside"
This will open the "Suspend" folder (is it actually a folder? Rox makes it appear to be).
Inside this folder is the script called "AppRun". This is what actually "suspends" your Zaurus.
I opened it in a text editor, and below is the script.
I just pasted the second line into a terminal, hit enter, and my Zaurus suspended immediately.
CODE
#!/bin/sh
exec xset dpms force off "$@"

+Quote Post
guscpu
post Mar 20 2008, 02:08 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(Jon_J @ Mar 20 2008, 09:53 PM) *
I was looking for something else, and found the script that is tied to the "Suspend" icon on the start menu.
It's located here
/usr/apps/suspend
In Rox filer, you need to navagate to /usr/apps/ then right-click on Suspend and select "Look inside"
This will open the "Suspend" folder (is it actually a folder? Rox makes it appear to be).
Inside this folder is the script called "AppRun". This is what actually "suspends" your Zaurus.
I opened it in a text editor, and below is the script.
I just pasted the second line into a terminal, hit enter, and my Zaurus suspended immediately.
CODE
#!/bin/sh
exec xset dpms force off "$@"

Wow will give that a try, nice work I think smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th August 2014 - 05:18 AM