Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bzip Or Only Tar Via Usb
ShiroiKuma
post Jul 3 2006, 02:48 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,385

I have a 3200 and want to back up the harddrive, which is full, cca 6 gig...

So what I'm gonna do, is attach an iPod or external harddrive via the USB, and back up the data there.

Now considering USB write to an external harddisk is slow, but tar bzipping the files is also slow due to the Z's processor, what would be better in this case.

Explanation, I can't pre tar, or pre tar bzip the files to a CF or the harddrive itself because it's full, so I'm gonna launch either tar or tar bzip directly from the Z to write to the external harddisk.

Option 1: tar the files to the external harddisk, which will mean more data to be sent over the USB, but no slowing down due to compressing the data by the Z's processor.

Option 2: tar bzip the files to the external harddisk, which will mean less data to be sent over the USB, but being slower due to bzipping the files by the Z's processor.

Which option will result in a faster execution of the whole process.

It will surely take a number of hours, but what would be the recommendation?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lardman
post Jul 4 2006, 03:38 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 464

You may spend more time working out the optimum solution than it takes to actually choose one and get on with it wink.gif

Anyway it sounds like an interesting optimisation task. You need to work out roughly what level of compression (and therefore time/mb) your data will produce vs the transfer speed.

A couple of test runs to work out bzip compression speed (for the average file) and usb transfer speed will give you enough info to work out the fastest way, or you might want to optimise depending on file type, so you don't bother compressing certain types, which will transfer faster uncompressed than compressed + compression time.

Si

+Quote Post
speculatrix
post Jul 4 2006, 04:48 AM
Post #3

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4,149

maybe you'd be better of using rsync to copy the files, that way you can restart the copying if it fails as rsync will see if the target already exists, and rsync has its own compression modes.

+Quote Post
speculatrix
post Jul 4 2006, 04:49 AM
Post #4

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4,149

p.s. you could use rsync to copy the files to a desktop computer using usb networking instead, or use wifi?

+Quote Post
ShiroiKuma
post Jul 4 2006, 05:00 AM
Post #5

Yep, good suggestion. However I need to archive to a FAT volume, so can't use rsync and have to somehow tar and/or compress. smile.gif

+Quote Post
lardman
post Jul 4 2006, 06:30 AM
Post #6

Could you not mount the drive as a mass storage device and perform the compression on the desktop machine (not the optimum solution in terms of time, but at least you'll get everything compressed quickly)? Or is the HDD (in the Z) not FAT formatted (I thought they were)?

Si

+Quote Post
ShiroiKuma
post Jul 4 2006, 06:43 AM
Post #7

QUOTE(lardman @ Jul 4 2006, 03:30 PM)
Could you not mount the drive as a mass storage device and perform the compression on the desktop machine (not the optimum solution in terms of time, but at least you'll get everything compressed quickly)? Or is the HDD (in the Z) not FAT formatted (I thought they were)?

Yep, I reformatted the HD to ext3, so have to do it from the Z.

+Quote Post
lardman
post Jul 4 2006, 08:04 AM
Post #8

An option:

http://www.fs-driver.org/

Si

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2015 - 01:24 PM