OESF Portal | OESF Forum | OESF Wiki | LinuxPDA | #planetgemini chat on matrix.org | #zaurus and #alarmz chat on freenode.net | ELSI (coming soon) | Ibiblio

IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fast charging support, A quick round-up of what standards should be supported
Varti
post Jan 2 2018, 01:58 AM
Post #1

Group: Admin
Member No.: 21,713

Lately I have been trying to figure out what type of fast charging will be supported by the Gemini, and what will be the expected performance. There have been some comments on the matter on both the indiegogo page and on the #planetgemini channel, I'll post here what I have found so far:

- it will be possible to charge the Gemini either using its power supply cable (supplied with all the perks) or an USB-C power supply charger (one is supplied with the All-In and Connectivity packages).

- I believe it will be possible to fast-charge the device only via USB-C (otherwise, it would make no sense to supply both a normal and an USB-C charger in the All-In perk).

- Planet has claimed that only the left USB-C connector will support charging, and that it will support Pump Express, Mediatek's own charging standard. Mediatek provides two versions of it: Pump Express 2.0+ (for lower cost MicroUSB and USB-C devices) and Pump Express 3.0 (for high-end USB-C phones). It is not known yet if the Gemini will support 2.0 or 3.0, most likely 3.0 since the Helio X27 CPU is a recently released CPU.

- Compatible chargers: apart from Pump Express ones, both 2.0 and 3.0 support Quick Charge 2.0 (a Qualcomm standard) chargers too. Pump Express 3.0 also supports USB Power Delivery (an official USB 3.1 spec) adapters that support 3V to 6V at 5A+, and any cable that supports 5A.

- Charging speeds: Pump Express 3.0 devices can charge up to 75 percent in 20 minutes. Pump Express 2.0+ devices take about 30 minutes to reach the same capacity.

A detailed review of all the available fast charging standard can be found on Digital Trends: https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/how-do...-charging-work/.

Thanks to potate on #planetgemini for most of the info provided here.

Varti
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Alius
post Jan 9 2018, 01:32 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 815,867

Thank you for this info! To my knowledge, I have never had a device that supports fast charging, but it sounds great. My current android phone is starting to die on me if I don't plug it in partway through the day, so the Gemini can't come any sooner

+Quote Post
Varti
post Jan 9 2018, 01:47 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(Alius @ Jan 9 2018, 10:32 PM) *
Thank you for this info! To my knowledge, I have never had a device that supports fast charging, but it sounds great. My current android phone is starting to die on me if I don't plug it in partway through the day, so the Gemini can't come any sooner

Same for me, never had any fast charging device before, and my smartphone is also starting to bite the dust. Perfect timing for the Gemini release smile.gif

Varti

+Quote Post
speculatrix
post Jan 9 2018, 03:28 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 4,149

My current phone is an LG V20 and it supports fast charging, the qualcomm standard. I generally avoid fast charging it because it makes the battery warmer than normal which will reduce its life (not so worrying since phone's battery is easily replaced), but when I do need to charge it in a hurry, it's great.

I use a RAV Power charger, four ports of which one is fast charge. It seems very well made, not a lightweight thing, an older version of this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B018Q7HNRQ
I would hope we can find something similar which does MediaTek fast charging.

I can plug non-QC devices into its QC port and they charge normally, so there's no risk there. Only if I plug my LG V20 with its QC feature, using a UCB-C cable, into the QC port will I get fast charging. Mostly I slow charge it off a different port.

+Quote Post
Mike D.
post Jan 9 2018, 03:56 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 815,757

What happens if you accidentally plug the charger into the right-side socket? Does is just safely not do anything, or will it fry something?

+Quote Post
Mike D.
post Jan 9 2018, 07:37 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 815,757

QUOTE(speculatrix @ Jan 9 2018, 06:00 PM) *
the phone charges normally if I plug it into the QC socket, it's only if I use a USB-C cable with a device capable of using QC that it gets activate, so it is safe.

But what happens if you plug the usb-c charger cable into the right-side socket?

+Quote Post
Varti
post Jan 10 2018, 12:35 AM
Post #7

QUOTE(Mike D. @ Jan 10 2018, 04:37 AM) *
QUOTE(speculatrix @ Jan 9 2018, 06:00 PM) *
the phone charges normally if I plug it into the QC socket, it's only if I use a USB-C cable with a device capable of using QC that it gets activate, so it is safe.

But what happens if you plug the usb-c charger cable into the right-side socket?

This is an interesting question, and something I'd ask to Planet on their Indiegogo page. I have searched in Google for an answer, with no avail.

Varti

+Quote Post
speculatrix
post Jan 10 2018, 12:42 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 4,149

I deleted some of my comments and edited/clarified my original post about my QC-enabled LG V20, because I didn't want to muddy the water about discussing the Gemini and how it might do fast charging with the right kind of power supply.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th January 2018 - 11:57 PM