OESF | ELSI | pdaXrom | OpenZaurus | Zaurus Themes | Community Links | Ibiblio

IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Next Pdaxrom Release W/ Different Images?, fluxbox, matchbox, etc.
btanoue
post Nov 7 2006, 05:16 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,687

Hi,

I was wondering if there are enough resources (people) available to create standard images for different window managers.

I feel that it would take a lot of work out of the end user's hand if for example a user can go to the pdaxrom website and have a choice of which window manager image he/she would like to install on top of pdaxrom.

For example, if I would like to try fluxbox, I could download the fluxbox tailored image, flash my Zaurus and have a complete already configured environment. The main benefit here is that a person that is completely knowledgeable about the window manager could make it easier for others to try. It can only expand the use of pdaxrom. Personally I don't necessarily know where all the configuration files for each window manager reside. So when I switch to XFCE, I have to do a lot to research on how to install it and configure it.

Tell me what you think?

btanoue
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Capn_Fish
post Nov 7 2006, 05:42 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 10,575

I think that it would be better, easier, and less painful for people to simply package up their configurations for WMs, or even a whole new WM package, and post them. This would make it much easier to try out WMs without reflashing.

Just my opinion.

+Quote Post
btanoue
post Nov 7 2006, 06:05 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 1,687

QUOTE(Capn_Fish @ Nov 8 2006, 01:42 AM)
I think that it would be better, easier, and less painful for people to simply package up their configurations for WMs, or even a whole new WM package, and post them. This would make it much easier to try out WMs without reflashing.

Just my opinion.

Great Idea! I like that as well. Perhaps we need a meta-package that will grab the window manager, specific applets (clocks, wifi connection, date etc), and configuration package to be installed.

Any other ideas?

btanoue

+Quote Post
Capn_Fish
post Nov 7 2006, 07:46 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 10,575

Write a program that automatically edits configuration files for you? tongue.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th September 2014 - 11:51 AM