OESF | ELSI | pdaXrom | OpenZaurus | Zaurus Themes | Community Links | Ibiblio

IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How To Get A Zaurus Sl-c3200 In Brisneyland, Getting it, keeping it and repairing it!
AdamD
post May 12 2006, 01:56 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,800

Hello Everyone,

Well it seems from teh enthusiastic replys I've had over in the general discussion area that a "Z" will do nicely ass a data collection/mobile research tool. Thanks to Ipotter Meanie and DeamonsGR I'm "reasonably sure" I can convert to English - If not I'll buy a ROM from Trolltech and pester the hell out of Ipotter till I can get it to work biggrin.gif

So the next question is obvious - How do I get one in Brisbane??

More to the point if it up and dies (HDD's are fickled beasts!) how do I get a repair warranty on it (assuming any "Repair" is a trip by express post back to Japan!)?

Cheers,
AdamD cool.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lpotter
post May 12 2006, 11:00 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 1,001

Trolltech doesn't sell roms. The ones we have are provided free. smile.gif
I am quite sure you can untranslate it from Japanese.

One of my office mates purchased a 3200 (so I can reasonably assume we can soon provide a 3200 rom) from
http://dynamism.com/sl-c3000/main.shtml
or
http://www.conics.net/temp/sharp-z-index.htm

If you buy from one of these places, I do believe it comes with warranty.

+Quote Post
AdamD
post May 12 2006, 11:40 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 9,800

QUOTE(lpotter @ May 13 2006, 05:00 AM)
Trolltech doesn't sell roms. The ones we have are provided free. smile.gif
I am quite sure you can untranslate it from Japanese.

One of my office mates purchased a 3200 (so I can reasonably assume we can soon provide a 3200 rom) from
http://dynamism.com/sl-c3000/main.shtml
or
http://www.conics.net/temp/sharp-z-index.htm

If you buy from one of these places, I do believe it comes with warranty.

OOooopppppssssss,

Sorry Ipotter. Didn't realise that about your ROM's.

Thanks for the sites the one at conics looks great. I was toying with ebay - but all the fraud and troubles with getting repair was just not worth the few extra dollars.

Does anyone know the amount customs will charge to bring this through (anticipating around $900AUD to purchase)

May I say that I'm really impressed with this forum. I'm getting quick replies with excellent advice. I think I'll go the Zaurus just on the basis of the support I've found here.

Cheers,
AdamD

+Quote Post
conicsnet
post May 13 2006, 07:55 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 7,466

QUOTE(AdamD @ May 13 2006, 04:40 PM)
Does anyone know the amount customs will charge to bring this through (anticipating around $900AUD to purchase)

Hello,

Customs duty into Australia will vary from state to state and city to city....

When we send packages in to the capital cities usually customers report they pay :
GST + occasionally a $50 customs clearance fee on any item valued over $900 AUD (including the postage cost).

however, Brisbane seems not to charge any fees (no GST or clearance)....
(from what I have heard back)

Further away from a capital city and usually customers will never pay any fees:
When I send packages to people on the Sunshine Coast or friends on the Gold Coast they have never paid tax even on $2000+ laptops and cameras etc.

regards,
-Brett
(edited>> and if you were wondering, yes, we did declare full value on the $2000+ items, and it was customs who decided not to charge the tax.... for unknown reasons)

+Quote Post
lpotter
post May 13 2006, 09:53 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 1,001

QUOTE(conicsnet @ May 14 2006, 01:55 AM)

When I send packages to people on the Sunshine Coast or friends on the Gold Coast they have never paid tax even on $2000+ laptops and cameras etc.

regards,
-Brett
(edited>> and if you were wondering, yes, we did declare full value on the $2000+ items, and it was customs who decided not to charge the tax.... for unknown reasons)

In Brisse, at least, I think it depends on if the destination address is a business. or maybe a whim of the customs agent guy.

I have also noticed they like to pick and choose what they charge tax for. The only thing they ever added tax on for me was a handmade craddle, go figure.

+Quote Post
Meanie
post May 13 2006, 03:52 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 6,686

QUOTE(lpotter @ May 14 2006, 03:53 AM)
QUOTE(conicsnet @ May 14 2006, 01:55 AM)

regards,
-Brett

In Brisse, at least, I think it depends on if the destination address is a business. or maybe a whim of the customs agent guy.

I have also noticed they like to pick and choose what they charge tax for. The only thing they ever added tax on for me was a handmade craddle, go figure.

I had to pay $50.60. They have some formula they use to calculate how much GST you need to pay and if the total amount is under $50, then they won't charge you. My purchase, including insurance and postage, came to $50.60 tax so I had to pay tax. sad.gif When I calculated it, the exchange rate was better and it was under $50, but it must had fluctuated unfavourably for me when it went through customs. Every cent counts when converting currency.
That was for my first Zaurus. The second one was cheaper since the price had dropped and naturally, no tax was charged smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd September 2014 - 06:03 AM