Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Original Flash Partitioning
speculatrix
post Apr 21 2007, 01:04 PM
Post #1

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4,149

I've hacked around so much with my current OS on Cacko (put in bits of Mylo's libraries, bits of TomTom) that I want to start with a clean system, and thought I would take try out OZ and Angstrom.

I was looking at Angstrom install, and it says to use the original Sharp partitioning, but I don't know what that actually is; am not 100% sure of the *best* way to repartition either (I can think of several ways but which is best!)

Whg
thanks
Paul
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Meanie
post Apr 21 2007, 02:06 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,686

QUOTE(speculatrix @ Apr 22 2007, 07:04 AM)
I've hacked around so much with my current OS on Cacko (put in bits of Mylo's libraries, bits of TomTom) that I want to start with a clean system, and thought I would take try out OZ and Angstrom.

I was looking at Angstrom install, and it says to use the original Sharp partitioning, but I don't know what that actually is; am not 100% sure of the *best* way to repartition either (I can think of several ways but which is best!)

Whg
thanks
Paul

that only applies to models that install to NAND. The C3x00 models all install to MicroDrive anyway...

+Quote Post
ZDevil
post Apr 21 2007, 02:31 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 2,882

The original Sharp root partition in NAND is 58MB, iirc.

+Quote Post
raduga
post Apr 21 2007, 04:20 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 2,125

QUOTE(speculatrix @ Apr 21 2007, 01:04 PM)

Whg
thanks
Paul

The "standard" best way to repartition flash, is to use the Sharp NAND backup
from the hardware maintenance menu.
Having said that, Cacko doesn't ordinarily munge the NAND partition much;
its mostly a concern for pdaXrom users who set up one big 128mb root.

And, as others have said, it doesn't really apply to HDD users;
so you're probably fine.

If in doubt, just load a fresh C3100 NAND, before you install Angstrom.

+Quote Post
speculatrix
post Apr 23 2007, 05:15 AM
Post #5

thanks for all replies.. I was going to install the C1000 version, to minimise use of the microdrive and thus improve speed and battery life.

+Quote Post
koen
post Apr 23 2007, 05:53 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 6,107

QUOTE(speculatrix @ Apr 23 2007, 01:15 PM)
thanks for all replies.. I was going to install the C1000 version, to minimise use of the microdrive and thus improve speed and battery life.

Flash is faster than microdrive with an linux-rp kernel, so it won't make a big difference. The different models also have different flash chips, so blindly flashing another image won't work.

+Quote Post
speculatrix
post Apr 23 2007, 11:59 AM
Post #7

QUOTE(koen @ Apr 23 2007, 02:53 PM)
Flash is faster than microdrive with an linux-rp kernel, so it won't make a big difference. The different models also have different flash chips, so blindly flashing another image won't work.

hmm, so although the C1000 has the same amount of flash as the C3100, the OZ or Ang image won't work. good to know, thanks.

+Quote Post
koen
post Apr 23 2007, 01:02 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 6,107

QUOTE(speculatrix @ Apr 23 2007, 07:59 PM)
QUOTE(koen @ Apr 23 2007, 02:53 PM)

hmm, so although the C1000 has the same amount of flash as the C3100, the OZ or Ang image won't work. good to know, thanks.

Correct, while it has the same amount of flash, it needs a different NAND driver.

+Quote Post
speculatrix
post May 12 2007, 10:46 AM
Post #9

In the end, realising that I was installing s/w for Spitz, I simply set the partition for root to be 17MB..

it was my efforts to use the rest of the flash that resulted in me thinking I'd bricked it but luckily D+M menu saved it's life!

+Quote Post
macwiz
post Jul 6 2007, 06:02 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 157

I'm trying Angstrom on my c860. df -h soon after installing gives me only 15.8 MB left on /, though I did install Dillo too. An earlier install, when I tried to install Abiword ran out of space.

15.8 Mb is really tiny. Is there anyway using the c860 that I can install Angstrom to my SD?

I suppose I could make ipkg just install ipks onto the SD...

Incidentally, I find that a 2GB SD card that no flavour of pdaXrom I tried ever recognised is supported out of the box.

Thanks for any help.

John

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th December 2014 - 02:05 AM