Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sharp Zaurus Sdk The Easy Way, QEMU/LiveCD based devel environment
speculatrix
post May 12 2006, 02:31 PM
Post #46

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4,149

vmware player?

I've been playing with DSL image for vmware, and the Kopsis image... is anyone interested in the results? vmware runs a bit faster than qemu, and of course with their player, is free as well.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
stbrock
post May 12 2006, 06:33 PM
Post #47

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,879

QUOTE(speculatrix @ May 12 2006, 06:31 PM)
vmware player?

I've been playing with DSL image for vmware, and the Kopsis image... is anyone interested in the results? vmware runs a bit faster than qemu, and of course with their player, is free as well.

Definitely interested. I was working on deglitching this setup a few months back, lost my work in a disk crash, and never got back to it. A vm for the free VM player approaches being idiot-proof for cross-compiling setup -- which seems to be what I need.

+Quote Post
speculatrix
post May 16 2006, 05:00 AM
Post #48

I found it was quite easy to run Kopsis' DSL stuff on VMWARE. I created a 1GB partition to run it all in

Briefly, as I remember it
1) install vmware
2) download the DSL vmware program from one of the mirrors - look for dsl-2.4-vmx.zip
http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/download.html
then unpack it
3) fire up vmware and open the DSL image; upgrade it to the latest vmware format
4) create a 1GB partition for the hard drive
5) start up the virtual machine and install DSL to the virtual hard drive
6) login as dsl
7) copy over Kopsis' Embedix & Qtopia UCI files, and the gcc dsl one to ~dsl/MyDSL
8) start ATerminal, cd to MyDSL, install gcc with "mydsl-load gcc-2.95.dsl"
9) Using the file explorer, Emelfm, browse to the MyDSL directory, and open the Embedix.uci and Qtopia.uci

Done! Now in the home dir of mysql just ". dev-x86-qpe.sh" to develop for x86, or ". dev-arm-qpe.sh" to develop for arm - just follow Kopsis' excellent notes.

I'll upload the resulting vmware image - but note that it's 200MB!

-- EDIT: uploaded to www.zaurus.org.uk downloads section under dev.. and it's 192 MB.
Once you start vmware, you need to "run" the UCI files as per 9 above, no need to do the load gcc bit. BTW, the root password is "dsl", there's no password for the user dsl.

I'd be grateful if a few people can mirror that file to save my bandwidth and post the locations here. thanks.

+Quote Post
lpotter
post May 16 2006, 11:29 AM
Post #49

Member No.: 1,001

nice. I might be able to mirror this... after I test it of course smile.gif

+Quote Post
speculatrix
post May 17 2006, 02:27 AM
Post #50

QUOTE(lpotter @ May 16 2006, 08:29 PM)
nice. I might be able to mirror this... after I test it of course smile.gif

Maybe you could do a specific DSL vmware install for qtopia2.2+qte2.3.x development - ready with a complete Zaurus rom build script?

Given that a vmware workstation license comes with a 30 day eval, you wouldn't even have to buy a license to do it, or, of course, install vmware server beta for free.

You can also convert between vmware and qemu images.

+Quote Post
lpotter
post May 19 2006, 10:18 AM
Post #51

Member No.: 1,001

actually, if I have time, I might do a nice vmware/iso Qtopia development package.

And Trolltech has a nice licensed copy of vmware station on my windows box at work. wink.gif How convenient.

+Quote Post
Meanie
post May 20 2006, 12:10 AM
Post #52

Member No.: 6,686

QUOTE(speculatrix @ May 16 2006, 11:00 PM)
I found it was quite easy to run Kopsis' DSL stuff on VMWARE. I created a 1GB partition to run it all in

Briefly, as I remember it
1) install vmware
2) download the DSL vmware program from one of the mirrors - look for dsl-2.4-vmx.zip
http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/download.html
then unpack it
3) fire up vmware and open the DSL image; upgrade it to the latest vmware format
4) create a 1GB partition for the hard drive
5) start up the virtual machine and install DSL to the virtual hard drive
6) login as dsl
7) copy over Kopsis' Embedix & Qtopia UCI files, and the gcc dsl one to ~dsl/MyDSL
8) start ATerminal, cd to MyDSL, install gcc with "mydsl-load gcc-2.95.dsl"
9) Using the file explorer, Emelfm, browse to the MyDSL directory, and open the Embedix.uci and Qtopia.uci

Done! Now in the home dir of mysql just ". dev-x86-qpe.sh" to develop for x86, or ". dev-arm-qpe.sh" to develop for arm - just follow Kopsis' excellent notes.

I'll upload the resulting vmware image - but note that it's 200MB!

-- EDIT: uploaded to www.zaurus.org.uk downloads section under dev.. and it's 192 MB.
Once you start vmware, you need to "run" the UCI files as per 9 above, no need to do the load gcc bit. BTW, the root password is "dsl", there's no password for the user dsl.

I'd be grateful if a few people can mirror that file to save my bandwidth and post the locations here. thanks.

wow, the GUI customisation looks even better than the default DSL one which I thought was pretty impressive already. This is just perfect. I was working on building a dual boot vmware image with DSL/Kopsis for Qtopia development and pdaXrom X86 for my OQO, but I am gonna use your vmware image for the base now instead of what I had since it looks so much nicer and the boot is much cleaner smile.gif

+Quote Post
DoTheDog
post May 28 2006, 06:36 AM
Post #53

Member No.: 7,823

speculatrix,
Very cool stuff. I got it up and running in a couple of minutes. I do have a question. Is there a trick to getting networking running? VMWare has two network adapters in Winbloze but all I get in DSL is the localhost.

+Quote Post
speculatrix
post May 29 2006, 11:29 AM
Post #54

QUOTE(DoTheDog @ May 28 2006, 03:36 PM)
speculatrix,
Very cool stuff. I got it up and running in a couple of minutes. I do have a question. Is there a trick to getting networking running? VMWare has two network adapters in Winbloze but all I get in DSL is the localhost.

You need to configure vmware in the host... I've used both NAT and bridging. NAT means that your PC acts as a router, and you use address/port translation (or internet connection sharing, I think, on windows)... bridging is easier in some ways as the VM appears like another network card in the PC and gets its own DHCP address.

+Quote Post
malik
post Jul 31 2006, 05:01 AM
Post #55

Member No.: 5,839

hello,

i tried the vmware image and it works great, but i have the following problem. i do not know much about the dsl uci stuff, only that particular files (embedix resp. qtopia) are added as read only to the system. as i miss for instance sdl devel packages, i do not know how to handle it. where do i get the corresponding sdl packages (and other typical ones for the zaurus develeopment) and how do i add them correctly to the system?

thanx in advance, malik

+Quote Post
speculatrix
post Jul 31 2006, 06:40 AM
Post #56

QUOTE(malik @ Jul 31 2006, 02:01 PM)
dsl uci stuff

basically, the UCI files are a compressed ISO image which you can simply mount using loopback. When you've done so using the standard DSL tools for doing this, you just need to fix your environment.

+Quote Post
kopsis
post Jul 31 2006, 07:13 AM
Post #57

Member No.: 3,880

QUOTE(malik @ Jul 31 2006, 08:01 AM)
where do i get the corresponding sdl packages (and other typical ones for the zaurus develeopment) and how do i add them correctly to the system?

Welcome to one of the problems with stock Zaurus ROM development. There are no "standard" cross-development libraries beyond the ones included in the image. Things like SDL libs are built by the community and how they need to be integrated into your cross-dev environment depends largely on who built them and how.

Though UCI files aren't terribly difficult to modify, in most cases the easiest thing to do is just put the extra cross-dev libraries and headers somewhere under the /home directory on the virtual HD and then modify the application's Makefile to look there for them. If the app uses autoconf then there's often a ./config parameter to specify things like SDL lib location.

+Quote Post
matthis
post Aug 22 2006, 04:58 PM
Post #58

Member No.: 9,124

I agree that having SDL cross-libs would really be a life-saver!!

+Quote Post
wrc4
post Aug 25 2006, 01:08 AM
Post #59

Member No.: 9,848

What's the su password? Is that dsl? I tried that but it said Authentication failure.

+Quote Post
kopsis
post Aug 25 2006, 03:52 AM
Post #60

Member No.: 3,880

QUOTE(wrc4 @ Aug 25 2006, 04:08 AM)
What's the su password? Is that dsl? I tried that but it said Authentication failure.

DSL (like many distros) has root logins disabled by default. To get root, do a "sudo su" (no password is required unless you've set a password for the "dsl" user).

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th November 2014 - 11:37 AM