IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Continued Connectivity Problems :(, ibiblio may not have been a good choice
offroadgeek
post Jan 19 2005, 10:04 PM
Post #1

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

I can't understand why there's continued troubles with ibiblio lately. I ask that you please bear with us while we try to figure this out. I'm working with ibiblio suuport on this. The problem is definitely not isolated with our site. elsix.org, groklaw.net, externe.net (all ibiblio hosted sites) are having the same problems.

I trust that ibiblio will be a reliable hosting provider, they are a nonprofit organization with resources available to have a significant hosting infrastructure. I'm hoping that this is just a fluke. At a zero cost, they definitely hit the mark as cost effectiveness (for me smile.gif).

Good news is that I have moved the sites off my servers at home, and can now get rid of the $300/month sdsl service. Bad news, we're not having much luck with reliability.

Other bad news is last week I found out that I would be getting laid off in mid February. ohmy.gif We've (my other half and myself) decided to take my severance package and move to Minnesota. I'm not worried at all about finding a good job when I get there. The cost of living is much cheaper in Minnesota (as compared to San Francisco), so after I get a new job and start making good money again, I'll be able to invest back into the sites and oesf. smile.gif

While I'm working with ibiblio to try and resolve our connectivity issues, I am also looking into other (relatively inexpensive) hosting options. It is definitely my priority to make sure the forums are available and on a reliable host.

Thanks for your patience!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
tumnus
post Jan 20 2005, 09:22 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 547

Yeah, sorry to hear about the redundancy. Hope all goes well with the move and finding another job.

I'm sure iBiblio are just having some hiccups with the new hardware or something. They've been going for a long time without many problems and sites such as groklaw.net have to withstand a regular slashdotting (and usually do).

This page is useful for announced downtime and large problems, etc. : http://www.ibiblio.org/systems/ (The System Status page shows they're regularly dealing with 0.4Gbps peaks in traffic)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th December 2014 - 09:12 PM