Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Guylhem Rom: First Qtopia 1.5 Release
guylhem
post May 7 2005, 06:50 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,365

Hello

The first "end user ready" release is being uploaded. It features a nice GUI and should work out of the box (no command line special knowledge should be necessary)

Get it on: http://externe.net/zaurus/guylhem-rom/

The only bugs I could find (and honnestly, they are not serious drawbacks) are:
- some remaining keyboard remapping (power/record are used like a jogdial, but should also be able to start applications - they can't yet)
- the network application refuses to add new interfaces. So I replaced the usual netsetup by a different one I compiled and I created a "Get online" icon, which can be used to create a new connection, before using the network application (that's the only if you really want to use the old one called netsetup.old). I have no idea why it doesn't work :-( Trolltech version works fine, Sharp doesn't. Any help would be welcome

If you feel like giving a try, your feedback would be very welcome. What you get :
- a polished qtopia 1.5 rom loaded with applications
- a cleaned filesystem (no symlinks everywhere)
- 24 Mb free to add your own applications (I doubt you'll need them - it's *loaded* with applications, basically every app I use is there, PIM, Hancom, Opera, etc etc.)

What's new since last version :
- added qtopia 1.5 interface
- made sure it worked well
- fixed the zoom/systemtime bugs reported in the standalone qtopia packages.

What's missing :
- special modules used by special card. If you have such a card, please tell me or adf so we can compile your missing module for you

To install it, simply restore the nandbackup. That's all. On reboot, you may see jffs2 errors - that's normal. It's just very verbose. You are presented with a login: if you log in, qtopia won't start. Press home twice to open another console. Press userkey/light to move between consoles. You must log out of every shell so Qtopia may start 30 seconds later. However the keyboard may not be usable if you didn't return to the first console. So if you want to use qtopia, simply don't log in.

Anyway, let's start the beta test ! I'm also preparing a dedicated feed for the ROM. If you have a .ipk that works fine and you think should be interesting to other people, please send me a URL where I can download it and add it to the feed.

If you think some application should be included by default, please tell me too. I'd like to create a "different" rom, very user oriented. Everything should be simple and work out of the box - the apps. I did choose tend to do that.

Guylhem
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
10 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 14)
adf
post May 7 2005, 11:03 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 4,572

Getting it now smile.gif this should be excellent.

XQT comes to mind as a much used app that will fit, if it isn't there already.

still messing w/ the pocketworkstation stuff, for those interested. Looks like maybe the fbvnc that I'm using isn't happy. People have sorted this out elsewhere..It shouldn't be too awful.

btw I have space and some badwidth, --I'll start compiling kernels and modules and do a little hosting if you like?

+Quote Post
adf
post May 7 2005, 11:35 PM
Post #3

killer splash screen
tree explorer? or advancedfm, maybe?
very snappy.
This is a definite improvement in the way the 6k works, thanks.

I need to go play with it for a while now....

+Quote Post
eddiectc
post May 8 2005, 03:25 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 5,088

Great rom!
Just tried, very usable!

Now planning to upgrade to Opera7.5

+Quote Post
guylhem
post May 8 2005, 05:07 AM
Post #5

Regarding the splash screen - believe it or not but *I* took the pic in the everglades. Really ! Guess why it's got such a big mouth ? I was *that* close :-)

If you have suggestion on opera, etc. [especially if you can provide me with an updated version .ipk where voice stuff works : I tried multiple times but never suceeded ] well I'm quite open.

Regarding treeexplorer, it's not GPL, I don't like it a lot -complex user interface. There must be better software out there.

+Quote Post
rip
post May 8 2005, 12:27 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 4,916

what a fuck...ing time it should took you for such a job.

great man, thanks for feeding our great 6000

i'll give it a try a soon a possible.

a good, "indispensable" ipk for me is "tipterm" also called "terminal" its a vt100 emulator really simple to use and i use it on a daily basis in my job.
if you don't like treeexplorer, why not a good mc, or all other double panel explorator?

i'll tell you if its really simple to install, if i manage to, so it will be. smile.gif

thanks again guylhem

also if you want to implement bt with cf, it would be great no?

+Quote Post
adf
post May 8 2005, 01:28 PM
Post #7

a small issue.

when trying to install packages, small ones go just fine, but big ones (like opera or tree explorer) crash with a no space error in tar. I'm guessing that this has to do with how tmp is allocated. you have a quick fix by any chance?
also,
cf does not seem to auto mount quite right in qtopia 1.5. I suspect tyhis is in fstab. I'll poke at it.. I think it shouldn't be a big deal. it mounts manually. I'll just change the vfat fstpe to auto

I see you have devinmg i.6 set for cf. this work ok if devimg is put there?

+Quote Post
guylhem
post May 8 2005, 02:58 PM
Post #8

Hello

rip- it tooks a long long time. A grand total may be ~ 2 to3 weeks, but selfishly I though I had to do it because every rom sucked. I wanted the tool for the job, so I created it myself.

I just hope everybody will like it. vt100? qkonsole should be fine - I tweaked it to use userdef button as a "alt tab". bluetooth shouldn't be a problem either. All my scripts are in /usr/local/bin BTW - adapt them to your needs. It's shipped with bluez 2.16 - the latest version available, and obexftp for cell phone operation (sync, pics...)

I just didn't compile every kernel module possible. Feel free to ask adf, he'll compile them for you (if you know which module your card needs)

adf - regading fstab - oops. I use ext2 on my SD. I will fix that. devimage is not working yet - I've got to fix its paths, etc. It should take a while. Regarding ipkg - oops again. To minimise flash wear, I put /tmp and /var in a ramdisk. It's only 1 Mb that's why it's exhauting. I'll fix that. Meanwhile simply replace /tmp link by a real /tmp when you do an install.

+Quote Post
adf
post May 8 2005, 04:55 PM
Post #9

fixed both easily. thnx. gott play around with the kernel this week. atm i'm getting errors in "tools". something unnecessary I thought was interesting, no doubt.

a small nagging issue with a qtopia applet..if you have any insight on it.
inputhelper (and probably, though I haven't tried it the usb mouse applet for the c3k) heeps the
"powerbar" of qtopia on top when using xqt. this seems to me to be something in the applet itself saying "stay on top"

It really needs to be fixed, I think. any ideas? It might just boild down to tweaking the applet a little....
anyone up to trying?

(I'll get to trying it myself eventually, though no guarntees of success..)

+Quote Post
eddiectc
post May 9 2005, 03:46 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 5,088

the link to get the opera 7.5 http://www14.software.ibm.com/webapp/downl...CBW71&S_CMP=&s=

actually if u untar the ipk, you can get the file opera_arm.ipk, which is actually the opera w/o rubbish, just around 2.3mb.
you can get them here if u like, but i'll remove them later:
http://www.syhk.net/temp/zaurus/opera/multimodal_arm.ipk
http://www.syhk.net/temp/zaurus/opera/opera_arm.ipk

i can install opera_arm.ipk using sharp rom, but failed with Guylhem rom.
maybe i'll test it later

QUOTE(guylhem @ May 8 2005, 01:07 PM)
Regarding the splash screen - believe it or not but *I* took the pic in the everglades. Really ! Guess why it's got such a big mouth ? I was *that* close :-)

If you have suggestion on opera, etc. [especially if you can provide me with an updated version .ipk where voice stuff works : I tried multiple times but never suceeded ] well I'm quite open.

Regarding treeexplorer, it's not GPL, I don't like it a lot -complex user interface. There must be better software out there.

+Quote Post
gfdsa
post May 9 2005, 05:32 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 6,256

opera_sl-5x00-7.30.9965_arm.ipk
installs cleanly, if someone needs it:
http://www.gfdsa.org/~gfdsa/opera_sl-5x00-7.30.9965_arm.ipk

+Quote Post
systemparadox
post May 9 2005, 07:16 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 4,776

WOW! A ROM for a 6k? I must be dreaming. Well, there is OZ, but I don't class it as usable on a 6k yet.

Are these instructions correct?
http://externe.net/zaurus/guylhem-rom/README
I'm not really very happy about NAND updating.
Why isn't it possible to just use the update menu (hold ok and power on), with initrd, zImage, updater.sh, and possibly a few other files on a cf/sd card?

Thanks
Simon

+Quote Post
rip
post May 9 2005, 09:16 AM
Post #13

done straight forward, all stuff works, wifi also with wep key 40 bits
sd formatted in ext 2 recognized fine

could you have a look into this ipk:
http://my-zaurus.narod.ru/memory.html
it works on normal rom and make a swap on ram, sd or cf available till 32 meg and give a status of memory.

thanks a lot guylhem, i'll test it in all possible ways.

+Quote Post
kahm
post May 9 2005, 10:27 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 4,809

QUOTE(gfdsa @ May 9 2005, 07:32 AM)
opera_sl-5x00-7.30.9965_arm.ipk
installs cleanly, if someone needs it:
http://www.gfdsa.org/~gfdsa/opera_sl-5x00-7.30.9965_arm.ipk

Does this version of Opera do the small screen formatting correctly? On every 7.xx version I've seen, save 7.25 from the Cacko feed, the small screen formatting is optimized for the 5x00 series, which just gives you a 240 pixel wide column down the left side of the screen.

I haven't got my 6k yet - but I'll probably be going for this rom when I get it.

+Quote Post
rip
post May 9 2005, 11:22 AM
Post #15

pb i think, i cant install anything to sd or cf, it just does not give me any choice. is there anything i missed?

the file manager see all files in cf and sd
and my sd is ext2formatted

+Quote Post

10 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2014 - 07:30 AM