OESF | ELSI | pdaXrom | OpenZaurus | Zaurus Themes | Community Links | Ibiblio

IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pocket[workstation|debian], To chroot or not to chroot?
acpkendo
post Jun 3 2005, 12:52 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,327

I've recently become interested in X/Qt and running X apps on the Z in general. Looking over this thread, I have two questions:

1) When people are saying "PocketDebian," do they actually mean "PocketWorkstation"?

2) Is there any reason/advantage to use a chroot environment (such as the one provided by PocketWorkstation) to install Debian ARM packages? Is it a "bad idea" to install this sort of thing directly using apt-get (which is present in the OZ 3.5.3 feed)? Is it because of the need to install everything on the SD card?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
adf
post Jun 3 2005, 01:30 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 4,572

1, yes

2. If you can make OZ match the deb dependencies and you get your paths setup right (maybe make /usr and /home on sd partitions?) It sounds like a great idea. If you can make it work, the OZ -server is going to be a lot fatser than XQT, I think.

basically the chroot system is easier to get going (I don't know if the OZ thing can work) and easier to manage.

You might consider using an x server (oz or pdax) and chrooting--would be snappier than xqt, I think--though you'd lose your qtopia

+Quote Post
acpkendo
post Jun 6 2005, 07:51 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 2,327

Should have added:

1) I'm using a 5500--pdaxrom (AFAIK) is out, although there is supposedly a test version of the ROM out for collie somewhere

2) I'd like to keep Opie for PIM, hence the preference for X/Qt.

3) I was thinking of fiddling around with unionfs, so that Debian/X apps installed to SD would appear in the directories under <root >. I'm surprised that the OZ developers aren't using this already, although I imagine that since ipkg-link works so well there's no reason to. . .

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th October 2014 - 09:30 AM