3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> [news]zaurus Sl-c3100
TsingTao
post Jun 7 2005, 07:12 AM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,033

It certainly looks cooler (I've always liked black for electronics). And more flash memory is good. But I think I'll stick with my plan to purchase a C1000...and maybe one of those wierd Magpie PDA's as a side dish...

I mean it IS COOL...but it's not THAT cool...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Leinadmx
post Jun 7 2005, 07:18 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 6,808

I love it!!!
It really looks great!
I had a doubt about to buy a C3000, but now I really want a C31000, Why?
1 - the upgrade of the flash memory that is very important (I think).
2 - the upgrade of the Core (linux), how everybody know when a product is released always there are few bugs to fix.
3 - the color (yes! god bless the vanity), black cover is really pretty.

I had the hope to see a product that could be a combination between C3000 y C1000, and it comes true.
Yes, us of all want to see a Zaurus with wireless skills but, It is really dificult, because business is business and Sharp have a great market with the CF Cards (Wi-Fi or BlueTooth or whatever).
But It could be good because in a future we could see a CF Card with VoIP
What do you think?
The only thing that I need to know is Which is the price of this baby?
And by the way, anybody knows a japanese friend to get one?

Best regards, this is a good day to work.

+Quote Post
orange
post Jun 7 2005, 07:56 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 5,785

Yes this baby looks nice

And I guess you can now add a internal bluetooth to it since the OS is on the flash and put the Microdrive in the CF slot?

+Quote Post
zaurian
post Jun 7 2005, 08:18 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 5,724

C3100 has 4GB HDD and 128 MB flash, any other improvement?

+Quote Post
ev1l
post Jun 7 2005, 08:24 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 3,774

More links:
TechJapan
Gizmodo
Engadget

QUOTE(Leinadmx @ Jun 7 2005, 07:18 AM)
I had a doubt about to buy a C3000, but now I really want a C31000, Why?
It's black.

1 - the upgrade of the flash memory that is very important (I think).

Yeah except it's more RAM we want. Whatever. I don't get why you'd need any more flash. It's good policy though, because they can maintain a very similar software stack for the C-1000 and this.
2 - the upgrade of the Core (linux), how everybody know when a product is released always there are few bugs to fix.

Still uses the same uLinux, what are you talking about?
I had the hope to see a product that could be a combination between C3000 y C1000, and it comes true.

What's the point?
Yes, us of all want to see a Zaurus with wireless skills but, It is really dificult, because business is business and Sharp have a great market with the CF Cards (Wi-Fi or BlueTooth or whatever).

They don't make or brand the damn things. They are needed because Japan never agreed a long-range wireless standard.
But It could be good because in a future we could see a CF Card with VoIP
What do you think?

Right now VoIP on the Zaurus is a software problem, not a hardware. Sharp isn't capable of producing utility software, let alone a decent softphone.
QUOTE(zaurian @ Jun 7 2005, 08:18 AM)

Not in the hardware, no.

+Quote Post
maslovsky
post Jun 7 2005, 08:26 AM
Post #21

Member No.: 89

A few things I like about this one:

1. Internal flash is 128 Mb. This means the whole ROM can be stored on it, microdrive can be removed and a bluetooth or maybe even a wifi card can be plugged in instead.

2. It looks even nicer - it's more black than C1000 smile.gif

The thing I don't like is the price - due to the microdrive AND internal flash it will be most expensive Zaurus we've ever seen sad.gif

+Quote Post
offroadgeek
post Jun 7 2005, 08:30 AM
Post #22

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

QUOTE(zaurian @ Jun 7 2005, 08:18 AM)

Can we PLEASE not start a dozen new threads for the same topic? This goes for all.

Thanks

+Quote Post
Cresho
post Jun 7 2005, 09:00 AM
Post #23

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 809

palm has a lifedrive. wifi, bluetooth voice record, 256 memory, 4gb hitachi drive........................video and audio player..........................

shit some of the features i want in my sharp. this is a bummer but.....................

ill stick with sharp anyway.

+Quote Post
speculatrix
post Jun 7 2005, 09:06 AM
Post #24

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4,149

Right now VoIP on the Zaurus is a software problem, not a hardware. Sharp isn't capable of producing utility software, let alone a decent softphone.

Yup, Sharp are crap at s/w, but q. good at hardware. Why Sharp can't do full disclosure, and even fund OE project, I don't know? They'd only need to loan a few Zs, sign some NDAs, and pay a fraction of their dev budget, as they'd get all their testing for free, and development q. cheap!

SIP for zaurus is catered for by KP/pi; it's not too bad, works for me, even over bluetooth network - I can login to employe's voip system with it.

Skype for Z, well, QT/arm/linux is now vaguely coming.

Anyway, this is the wrong thread to discuss telephony.

+Quote Post
bluedevils
post Jun 7 2005, 10:44 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 1,633

well conics has got it up with an initial price. After streamline gets it, I think c1000 might still be the better value. I do wonder if this opens up the door for people putting internal wifi/bluetooth cards inside. That might be worth it.

+Quote Post
ev1l
post Jun 7 2005, 10:51 AM
Post #26

QUOTE(speculatrix @ Jun 7 2005, 09:06 AM)

Why Sharp can't do full disclosure, and even fund OE project, I don't know? They'd only need to loan a few Zs, sign some NDAs, and pay a fraction of their dev budget, as they'd get all their testing for free, and development q. cheap!

Full disclosure of specs would have helped Sharp tremendously, but they cannot let 3 parties develop the whole platform. Someone has to do the boring stuff, and provide an environment that's stable enough to let the tinkerers tinker.
OESF has nothing to do with software development, it's more oriented towards the fostering of a community around mobile devices and open architectures.
The signing of NDA's is really something open-source coders will tend to avoid, to prevent them from being limited in what they can do in the future, and because once you have the software source, whatever spec was used to develop it is easy to reverse-engineer. The Nokia way of going at it is much smarter: provide *good* functionality for whatever the device is supposed to do, and make it open so 3rd parties can take care of the long tail.
Of course, maemo on the one pre-eminent liunx PDA is probably not something Trolltech would be happy about.
QUOTE(Cresho @ Jun 7 2005, 09:00 AM)
wifi, bluetooth voice record, 256 memory, 4gb hitachi drive, video and audio player.
some of the features i want in my sharp.

It's also a totally closed architecture. And it's unlikely they'll open it any time soon: they want to sell the middleware.
QUOTE(offroadgeek @ Jun 7 2005, 08:30 AM)
Can we PLEASE not start a dozen new threads for the same topic?  This goes for all.

You might want to make it a bold sticky-yicky.

+Quote Post
ashikase
post Jun 7 2005, 02:49 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 2,375

QUOTE(speculatrix @ Jun 8 2005, 12:11 AM)
QUOTE(ashikase @ Jun 7 2005, 02:57 PM)
If, like me, you're paranoid about losing data, you can always do like I do... keep a backup of all the important stuff on a RAID array, and use something like unison to keep it in sync.

cool, so with the C3000 & C3100 you can use the USB host function to have a USB-IDE adaptor, and then carry round a small double disk pack with RAIDed disks!

doesn't this make the Z a little bit big?

I knew when I wrote that that I should have said "on a PC/separate computer".

- ashikase
- anpachi, gifu, japan

+Quote Post
merli
post Jun 7 2005, 11:47 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 7,008

QUOTE(maslovsky @ Jun 7 2005, 06:26 PM)
A few things I like about this one:

1. Internal flash is 128 Mb. This means the whole ROM can be stored on it, microdrive can be removed and a bluetooth or maybe even a wifi card can be plugged in instead.

2. It looks even nicer - it's more black than C1000 smile.gif

The thing I don't like is the price - due to the microdrive AND internal flash it will be most expensive Zaurus we've ever seen sad.gif

Yes you can remove microdrive ... but you have to pay for it at least $200 ...
Now there should be two models C3100 with microdrive and 1100 without microdrive smile.gif

+Quote Post
ev1l
post Jun 8 2005, 02:17 AM
Post #29

QUOTE(merli @ Jun 7 2005, 11:47 PM)
Now there should be two models C3100 with microdrive and 1100 without microdrive smile.gif

What's the difference between the 3100 without microdrive and the 1000?

+Quote Post
merli
post Jun 8 2005, 02:27 AM
Post #30

Member No.: 7,008

QUOTE(ev1l @ Jun 8 2005, 12:17 PM)
QUOTE(merli @ Jun 7 2005, 11:47 PM)

What's the difference between the 3100 without microdrive and the 1000?

In C1000 there is no connector to place microdrive and no controller to internal CF bus. Of course you can buy controller and connector and solder both by hand, (because board is same) but I wouldnt do it on my Z personally. smile.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 09:35 AM