Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Edge On Zauri
qbert
post Aug 17 2005, 06:50 AM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,835

QUOTE(albertr @ Aug 16 2005, 10:18 AM)
If not that, personally I would go with Verizon - their  EV-DO network is much better that EDGE (in my area, anyway) - it has both better bandwidth and lower latency.

If you are gonna get a new phone anyway and shelling out $80 or so a month for unlimited data, I would strongly suggest to take a look at Verizon and Moto E815. Assuming that Verizon has a good coverage in your area, of course.

I wish I could but unfortunately, I recently sold my soul to Cingular for another 2 year contract laugh.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
obscurite
post Sep 9 2005, 01:16 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 4,882

I just signed up for unlimited t-mobile internet. I plan on using their EDGE service (just upgraded from GPRS - available in most cities in their network) with a bluetooth device tethered to my laptops, and my zaurus c3100.

Sadly, I won't be able to use a bluetooth card with OpenBSD, but I'll install Cacko or pdaXrom or a sharp rom and use it that way.

I've heard that the up/down speeds are much faster, but what about latency? GPRS t-mobile latency was typically 700 - 1100ms which was painful for SSH and other high-transaction applications.

What' the latency on EDGE like? I've seen speedtest screenshots from people's phones saying upwards of 2s !!! (afraid)

Will post when I have tethered via bluetooth. I plan on testing with my mac mini and my existing GPRS phone first to make sure my service works.

+Quote Post
albertr
post Sep 9 2005, 02:33 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 2,195

In my experience, the latency is the same as with GPRS. So if you see 700 - 1100ms with T-mobile GPRS, you'll probably see the same number with T-mobile EDGE.
-albertr

+Quote Post
obscurite
post Sep 9 2005, 06:35 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 4,882

Thanks albertr - the dream is over. At least it's cheaper than the $80/mo I was paying for EVDO wink.gif

+Quote Post
bluedevils
post Sep 10 2005, 01:19 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 1,633

BTW I found out my v551 does *not* have edge. the firmware I have is too old. I would flash a newer one except I need to buy a special usb cable and I don't want to spend more money into the thing. I'm going to wait until my contract is up at the beginning of the next year and go verizon (evdo). By then I will have a new Z to take advantage of it.

+Quote Post
Ragnorok
post Oct 18 2005, 06:56 PM
Post #21

Member No.: 781

- gbert I don't see how you could fail to love it. The 3100 wasn't out, so I got the 1000, but with Cacko BT is seamless.
- I had a lot of trouble with BlueZ, which Cacko uses, on while on the Sharp ROM. It worked fine, but it was a process getting it to link. I haven't seen others posting about this, so it must be my "good fortune".

- EDGE I'm using Sprint, and have no clue what-so-ever if it's EDGE or what. I do know it works just fine, and it's a darned sight faster than nothing, which is what I had before. (shrug) I use it primarily for live traffic updates when the wife and I are on the road, searching for movies where-ever I happen to be, and getting a doppler radar image when I'm riding the motorcycle, and it's certainly usable in those capacities.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th December 2014 - 12:04 PM