Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Building For The Sharp-based 'roms' With Oe
lardman
post Aug 24 2005, 05:01 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 464

I've been a bit busy lately and hadn't noticed this, but OE can now build Sharp-based 'ROM' compatible stuff.

Take a look here: http://oe.handhelds.org/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/SharpROM

Then head over to the Getting Started page to see how to install everything and get going: http://oe.handhelds.org/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/GettingStarted

Si
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Stubear
post Aug 24 2005, 06:29 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 1,219

Unfortunately, the process is not yet 100% stable. So do not be surprised if you have some problems along the way.

I've tried this a number of times and have yet to get a sinlge qt app to compile. Had a heap of trouble with a bunch of apps that needed the .bb files edited to get to work, and a bunch where I had to cross-compile them manually.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has had success with this to see what I'm doing wrong

Stu

+Quote Post
lardman
post Aug 25 2005, 07:05 AM
Post #3

I imagine the Qt/Opie apps might have issues as you'd need to remove any deps on libopie & friends?

Si

+Quote Post
Stubear
post Aug 27 2005, 06:45 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 1,219

Yeah, but I haven't been able to get the base (CLI only) stuff fininshed compiling.

Just wish I had more time to spend on it cause I find openembedded easy to use - it's way similair to Gentoo's portage, the bb files have a similair syntax to the ebuild files so they are very easy to port over.

Stu

+Quote Post
lardman
post Aug 27 2005, 06:57 AM
Post #5

I find openembedded easy to use

smile.gif Yep, me too and this is what Mickeyl has been trying to tell anyone who'll listen for ages.

What it needs is some more developers who want to develop for the Sharp-style 'ROM's to get stuck in and do some bug-fixing etc.

Any more volunteers?

Si

+Quote Post
kopsis
post Oct 25 2006, 04:30 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 3,880

For reasons I won't go into (in the interest of avoiding a flame war), I've gone back to the Cacko ROM and so I need to get a Sharp compatible dev env going again. I can always fall back on my DSL based system, but there are a lot of advantages to being able to use OpenEmbedded.

I know it's "theoretically" possible, but it seems the original page referenced by this thread is 404 and the only reference I can find on the OE wiki says:
Building packages for the Sharp ROM is as easy as setting

DISTRO = "sharprom-compatible"

in your local.conf and then compiling as usual. Unfortunately, the process is not yet 100% stable. So do not be surprised if you have some problems along the way.

Has anyone tried this recently, and if so could you summarize your results? The condition "not yet 100% stable" can be satisfied by 1% stable just as well as 99% stable. I'd love to know which end of that spectrum we're really talking about. Time is in short supply and I can't afford to waste a bunch on a doomed experiment.

+Quote Post
koen
post Oct 25 2006, 04:53 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 6,107

http://www.openembedded.org/bonsai/query/d...ption/sharprom/

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th September 2014 - 05:41 PM