Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Guylhem Distrib Update: Document Tab Bug Fixed !, new release getting closer
guylhem
post Sep 1 2005, 12:21 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,365

Hello

I know a new release is overdue, but I want clean polished stuff :-) And the document tab bug was really annoying to me.

But after a long hacking night I could finally fix the most important bug preventing a new release : the document tab bug. That's what caused ipk installation problem and files not appearing in usual location.

It seems to be due to a bad sharp hack with the filesystem "cleaning" revealed. Basically, mount should update /etc/mtab when something is mounted.
Sharp mount does not (!). So they symlinked it to /proc/mounts (!)

Man mount will tell you this is not a good idea and it could cause bugs - well it did (!) Basically, the document tab is using libsl to read /etc/mtab ...

I don't even what to know how they worked around the problem *they* created in the sharp rom. It's ugly and deserves to die. Mtab also reports /dev/root instead of correctly reporting /dev/mtdblock2 - which also cause problems.

A fix in on the way. I will recompile the latest busybox and add mtab support. This will hopefully be enough. Else I will add a new standalone mount tool.

Thanks **A LOT** to whoever reported inserting cards was a workaround for the document tab bug. It helped me pinpoint the bug (along with some debugging :-)

Speaking of debugging; you will be happy to know a new zgcc will be made available for the SL6000. It uses /opt/zgcc and takes currently 8 Mb thanks to squashfs. So you can have it on your zaurus all the time!

I will just add perl file and a couple of other apps before releasing it. Yet recompiling on a standalone zaurus is just very cool. zgcc will certainly be released before the new nandbackup, but it should work like a charm on the previous one.

Now working on the last remaining keyboard bug! (so that *every* key over the keyboard can be remapped to applications - this is quite cool since I use a lot of apps at the same time and wanted to have the light key start an app, while a long press on the ( o ) key ("user key") turn on and off light. Same for power key, record key and other keys - long presses and short presses will have different functions (under work)

Fellow latin users (french, spanish...) will appreciate a reworked keyboard with easy access to accentuated chars. No need of additional applications or complicated setup - fn+shift+your key does it, in every application.

Guylhem
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
rip
post Oct 18 2005, 06:27 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 4,916

Still very impatient to test the new release any update ?

+Quote Post
adf
post Oct 18 2005, 07:54 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 4,572

have you tried the one at externe.net/zaurus/.... ?

It is pretty polished... zplayer, etc..

+Quote Post
jbruno
post Oct 19 2005, 06:42 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 2,351

Do you have the actual location (what directory do you mean by "/...." ????

QUOTE(adf @ Oct 18 2005, 07:54 PM)
have you tried the one at externe.net/zaurus/....  ?

It is pretty polished... zplayer, etc..

+Quote Post
adf
post Oct 19 2005, 11:16 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 4,572

http://www.externe.net/zaurus/guylhem-rom/

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th December 2014 - 09:50 PM