OESF | ELSI | pdaXrom | OpenZaurus | Zaurus Themes | Community Links | Ibiblio

IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Can't Mount Cf Card, I think i'm missing something.
cybernetseraph
post Oct 25 2005, 01:39 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,363

Hey,
I've installed the snapshot (as of the 23rd oct i believe). and i've been configuring it to my liking. However, i've hada problem mounting my cf card.

I know it's /dev/wd1c, it's fat32 formatted. however, there's no mount_vfat option for mount, and mount_msdos gives the error
CODE
mount_msdos: /dev/wd1c on /mnt/cf: Inappropriate file type or format

is it possiblt to mount this drive? or am i going to have to reformat it fat16?

I need to use it on windows (at Uni), and linux at home, so ffs wouldn't be suitable.

apart from this little hiccup i'm very happy with it.

One other question. does anyone know if they're working on autorotation? I don't use it often, but it would be handy.

I know pdaXrom has it, but i think they use a different mechanism (they have a shell script that runs when it rotates, OBSD's is in the xorg.conf).

thanks for any help.

-0-
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
darkloran
post Oct 25 2005, 06:16 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 5,525

QUOTE(cybernetseraph @ Oct 25 2005, 09:39 AM)
CODE

just try

CODE
mount wd1c /mnt/cf

it should work.

the real device should be something like /dev/[r]wd1c check
CODE
dmesg

for the real name of the device

hope it helps

loran

+Quote Post
Sequethin
post Oct 25 2005, 03:35 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 5,903

QUOTE(darkloran @ Oct 25 2005, 10:16 AM)
QUOTE(cybernetseraph @ Oct 25 2005, 09:39 AM)

CODE

just try

CODE
mount wd1c /mnt/cf

it should work.

the real device should be something like /dev/[r]wd1c check
CODE
dmesg

for the real name of the device

hope it helps

loran

You might also try mounting wd1a as opposed to wd1c

I use wd1a but I have fdisk-ed my cf card and formatted it with 4.2BSD [which does suck when I forget that it only works on my zaurus or freebsd box wink.gif] YMMV

good luck! smile.gif

Mike

+Quote Post
darkloran
post Oct 25 2005, 09:37 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 5,525

QUOTE(Sequethin @ Oct 25 2005, 11:35 PM)
You might also try mounting wd1a as opposed to wd1c

I use wd1a but I have fdisk-ed my cf card and formatted it with 4.2BSD [which does suck when I forget that it only works on my zaurus or freebsd box wink.gif] YMMV

oh yes, you're right mike. I'm not completely familiar with obsd - not yet wink.gif - and i didn't notice the 'c' label.

cybernetseraph you should use
CODE
disklabel wd1
to see which partition supports your files. especially because you use dos format and the partitiion should be something like wd1i more than wd1c or wd1a. In BSD format the 'c' label stands for the 'whole disk' partition.

loran

+Quote Post
cybernetseraph
post Oct 28 2005, 07:35 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 6,363

Hey guys, i didn't get some of the replies until just now, but i worked it out myself,

disklabel /dev/wd1 told me that the partition i was looking for was i (i knew that c was the whole disk, but wasn't sure if it could be mounted if the device wasn't partitioned).

I've now set up hotplugd to automount it, though i'm tempted to use amd instead (i've used automounters in linux before for the same purpose.

Thanks for the help.

+Quote Post
Wildherb
post Oct 3 2008, 05:38 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 8,887

I'm having real trouble mounting CF card on OBSD 4.3

before starting X, If I insert or remove the CF card I see it referenced as wd1 and wdc1

If I do disklabel wd1 I see a c partition (unused) and an i partition (MSDOS)

fdisk wd1 shows four partitions, the first being formatteed Win95 FAT and the others all unused.

There cant be a technical problem becuse I installed the operating system from the same media card!

very similar story if I put a memory stick on the USB host cable, is shows as sd1 with disklabel partitions c and i, four partitions under fdisk.

I'm confused. 8(

====EDIT====
Ive concluded that somehow my system was screwed as I could also not edit simplt files such as kismet.conf
Done a rebuild and now I can mount CF and also, I can mount SD is this a first on OBSD??

mount_msdos /dev/wd1i /mnt/cf
mount_msdos /dev/sd0i /mnt/card

BINGO!

+Quote Post
Lance
post Oct 3 2008, 03:35 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 1,484

<QUOTE>
Done a rebuild and now I can mount CF and also, I can mount SD is this a first on OBSD??
</QUOTE>

Mounting and reading an SD card is no problem. It's writing to the SD card that's been the problem.

+Quote Post
sdjf
post Oct 5 2008, 08:45 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 8,551

QUOTE(Lance @ Oct 3 2008, 04:35 PM) *
Mounting and reading an SD card is no problem. It's writing to the SD card that's been the problem.

Could it be a hardware problem? I have been having similar issues with trying to read and write to a CF card via USB instead of using my Tosa's CF slot, and Quickening seemed to think it was the device (Lexar CF reader) that was the problem. I haven't resolved it at this point.

Make sure "mount" shows the device as rw and not just ro. That may not resolve the issue, but is a piece of the puzzle to be sure of. And check permissions with "ls -l". You may want to play around with sudo, if it's available on OBSD?

sdjf

+Quote Post
Wildherb
post Oct 6 2008, 02:00 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 8,887

QUOTE(sdjf @ Oct 6 2008, 05:45 AM) *
QUOTE(Lance @ Oct 3 2008, 04:35 PM) *

Could it be a hardware problem? I have been having similar issues with trying to read and write to a CF card via USB instead of using my Tosa's CF slot, and Quickening seemed to think it was the device (Lexar CF reader) that was the problem. I haven't resolved it at this point.

Make sure "mount" shows the device as rw and not just ro. That may not resolve the issue, but is a piece of the puzzle to be sure of. And check permissions with "ls -l". You may want to play around with sudo, if it's available on OBSD?

sdjf

No, not a hardware problem. My Spitz was happily writing to the same SD card using Cakco just before I flashed it with OBSD.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd July 2014 - 11:52 PM