Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Changing Hdd3 On The C3100
BarrySamuels
post Oct 31 2005, 07:23 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,325

I don't want to connect my C3100 to a Windows machine so I'd like to convert hdd3 to ext3.

I unmounted that partition and ran fdisk.which listed 3 partitions on /dev/hda but when I went to delete a partition it asked which partition (1-4). Are there 4 partitions and, if so, why doesn't it show in fdisk? Where has the 4th partition come from? Do I need it?

Do I need to change a script somewhere to cope with the change when the partition is mounted. I see that it's not listed in /etc/fstab.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GadgetGuy
post Oct 31 2005, 07:27 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 7,977

QUOTE(BarrySamuels @ Oct 31 2005, 10:23 AM)
I don't want to connect my C3100 to a Windows machine so I'd like to convert hdd3 to ext3.

I unmounted that partition and ran fdisk.which listed 3 partitions on /dev/hda but when I went to delete a partition it asked which partition (1-4). Are there 4 partitions and, if so, why doesn't it show in fdisk? Where has the 4th partition come from? Do I need it?

Do I need to change a script somewhere to cope with the change when the partition is mounted. I see that it's not listed in /etc/fstab.

1. There is no 4th partition by default.

2. See here: http://www.eleves.ens.fr/home/leurent/zaurus.html for details about how to convert hdd3 to ext3 ( that website tells you about the scripts to be changed)

+Quote Post
BarrySamuels
post Oct 31 2005, 09:17 AM
Post #3

QUOTE(GadgetGuy @ Oct 31 2005, 04:27 PM)

2. See here: http://www.eleves.ens.fr/home/leurent/zaurus.html for details about how to convert hdd3 to ext3 ( that website tells you about the scripts to be changed)

There appears to be a fourth partition on my disc. Running fdisk on /dev/hda and entering 't' to change partition type it asks me 'which partition (1-4)?'.

Where is this invisible partition is it number 1 or number 4?

That link could be useful - thanks.

+Quote Post
GadgetGuy
post Oct 31 2005, 09:20 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 7,977

QUOTE(BarrySamuels @ Oct 31 2005, 12:17 PM)
QUOTE(GadgetGuy @ Oct 31 2005, 04:27 PM)

There appears to be a fourth partition on my disc. Running fdisk on /dev/hda and entering 't' to change partition type it asks me 'which partition (1-4)?'.

Where is this invisible partition is it number 1 or number 4?

That link could be useful - thanks.

As far as I know, there is no invisible partition. Fdisk always offers you (1-4) for all modifications. I would assume that if you have only 1 partition on the whole disk, you would still get (1-4) mentioned by fdisk...

In my case, fdisk asked about (1-4), when I had only 2 partitions ( after I deleted partition 3).

+Quote Post
BarrySamuels
post Oct 31 2005, 09:30 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(GadgetGuy @ Oct 31 2005, 06:20 PM)
As far as I know, there is no invisible partition. Fdisk always offers you (1-4) for all modifications. I would assume that if you have only 1 partition on the whole disk, you would still get (1-4) mentioned by fdisk...

In my case, fdisk asked about (1-4), when I had only 2 partitions ( after I deleted partition 3).

Yes, of course, you're quite right - I had forgotten that. It's got to be within that range to be a primary, rather than a logical, partition. It's just a maximum and not an indication of how many partitions there are.

Thanks for the reminder. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th December 2014 - 02:41 PM