Cacko Rom 1.23 Is Released, Full version
Cacko Rom 1.23 Is Released, Full version
Oct 31 2005, 09:19 PM
Joined: 22-October 03
Member No.: 89
Cacko ROM 1.23 is released. Supporting Zaurus models are: SL-C1000, SL-C3100/SL-C3200 in addition to SL-C7x0/SL-C860. Note that SL-C3000 is not supported yet, but I hope Andy (aka iamasmith) will release proper version soon.
Please, visit http://cacko.biz/cacko/ for download links.
Enjoy and remember that donations are always welcome
Important! Main Cacko feed has not been updated yet, please, use Cacko feed mirror:
CACkO Zaurus Qtopia ROM 1.23 1029311005 (SL-C1000) "Nastya"
Mon Oct 31 10:35:34 MSK 2005
© Cacko Team (http://cacko.biz), 2003-2005
Visit our web site for more information: http://cacko.biz/cacko/
Make sure to read FAQ at http://cacko.biz/cacko/faq
Report bugs at http://cacko.biz/cacko/bugs
IMPORTANT: This ROM requries a flash partition at least 32 MBytes in size!
Make sure to repartition your internal flash before updating ROM!
1. Extract the 3 files - initrd.bin tools.tar updater.sh - to the root of your CF or SD/MMC card.
2. Make sure that Zaurus isn't plugged into AC power.
3. Remove battery for at least 5 seconds.
4. Replace battery (replace battery cover, lock cover), plug in AC power.
5. Press and hold the "OK" button on the keyboard.
6. Turn the power on, you should see the Japanese service menu.
7. Now Plug in the Power Cord. (You will get an error if it isn't plugged in!)
8. Select option 4 (flash/update).
9. You then have several options including CF and SD
10. Choose either CF or SD, depending on which media you put the files on.
11. Select "3 NAND Flash Utils"
12. Select "1 Resize root partition"
13. Enter 32 when prompted for root partition size.
12. Flash will be repartioned and Zaurus will reboot.
13. Repeat steps 2-10 again and wait for the menu start menu.
14. Now select "1 Install new ROM" and wait. Reboot your Zaurus when ROM installaiton is complete.
This ROM version wa smainly intended to support Zaurus models (C1000 and C3100). Later on it was decided to include support for older models as well. It also insludes some minor updates and fixes found during 1.22 ROM usage.
Many thanks to all the beta testers who have contributed a lot of efforts to help produce this ROM.
- Added Cacko boot logo (every other ROM already had one
- Added latest kernel patches from Tetsu
- Added MTD emulation module (blkmtd.o) for block devices (to mount jffs2 images on Zaurus)
- Enabled detection of SCSI Multi-LUN (Logical Unit Number) devices, such as multi-format card readers
- Updated kayboard map to include some missing characters in console
- Updated serial driver (thanks to albertr and 2x4ever)
- serial_cs driver is built as module, so that it can be easily updated
- Included updated USB storage and serial drivers from 2.4.31 kernel
- SCSI drivers are build as modules
- Cursor blinking rate in pure Linux console is configurable via /proc/sys/dev/fb/cursor_blink_rate
- Squashfs filesystem updated to version 2.2
- Added NTFS module
- Added HFS and HFS+ (Apple File System) modules
- Added ISO/Joliet (CD-ROM) and UDF (DVD) modules
- Added support for new partition types: Macintosh and Win2K Dynamic Disk
- Updated FUSE to version 1.4 (latest verison available for 2.4.x kernels)
- Updated OpenSSL package to 0.9.7g
- Updated OpenSSH package to 4.1p1.
Note that empty passwords are not allowed by default! Set root password to be able to login via SSH
- Updated networking scripts to clean up DHCP leftovers
- Added PPP Deflate compression option, updated aliases in modules.conf
- Updated pppd to 2.4.3
- Bringing usbd0 interface down during suspend
- Updated Pegasus USB Network drivers to 0.4.32
- Updated RTL 8150 USB Network drivers to 0.4.3
- Included driver modules to support for USB Ethernet devices
- Included driver modules for Serial USB devices
- Increased DHCP timeout for LAN network connections
- Updated configuration entry for TRENDnet TE-CF100 Fast Ethernet CF Adapter
- Updated USBNET driver from 2.4.32 kernel source, supporting many USB Ethernet dongles
- Added USB Network applet to configure network using USB Ethernet dongles
- Updated wget to 1.10.2, build with SSL support
- Wireless Extentions updated to v16
- Wireless Tools updated to 0.27
- Hostap drivers updated to version 0.3.7
- Orinoco/Spectrum driver updated to 0.15rc2-CVS (with monitor mode)
- Added drivers for USB Prism and Orinoco based wireless devices
- Socket/Symbol WiFi card is now fully supported via Network Setup
- New Socket WiFi card (with Agere Hermes II chipset) is supported (OpenKey WEP only)
- Fixed problem with non-specific ("Any") ESSID
- Added entry for "WAVEline Compact Flash Wireless Adapter"
- Added support for Prism3 WiFi cards without firmware in flash,
such as "IO Data WN-B11/CFZ Wireless CF Adapter" and "PLANEX GW-CF11X Wireless CF Card"
- Changed interface name for wireless cards from ethX to commonly used wlanX
- Updated bluez library and utilities to version 2.21, hcidump to 2.21
- Improved support for USB bluetooth devices
- Updated bluetooth dialup network applet (thanks to Michail Kostousov).
New applet allows to configure multiple rfcomm entries.
- Fixed problem with network icon not appearing in TaskBar with some serial bluetooth CF cards
- Updated tinylogin to 1.4
- Updated unrar to version 3.5.4
- Updated Card Manager utilities to 3.2.7
- Added cpio 2.6
- Updated sed to 4.0.7
- Updated readline library to patchlvel 5
- Updated bash to patchlevel 16
- Added patched version of USB library (fixes ARM alignment issues)
- Updated usb.ids file
- Updated scmxx utility to 0.8.0
- Updated configuration scripts to better support USB joysticks and joypads
- Kino2 is updated to version 0.4.3c
- Latest versions of mplayer 1.1.5 and bvdd 0.4 video driver are included
- Latest Sharp applications included: PIM apps from C1000 and C3100, Photostorage, MusicPayer, Netfront 3.1
- Added new keymaps: esperanto, catalan, espanyol and cyrillic-phonetic-psion
- Updated Deutsch keymap (thanks to Andre Beckedorf)
- Added PickBoard input method
- Updated neocal to 1.7.7
- Made it possible to remove Qtopia background image
- Made it possible to create a swap file in internal flash or built-in hard disk
- Added InputHelper applet to support USB mouse in Qtopia
- Added some missing mime types
- QKonsole launch speed has been improved
- Updated Sysinfo application to display information about attached devices
- Updated Card Monitor applet not to display popup messages
- PIM data is send via IRDA with UTF-8 encoding
- SDL libraty has been removed form the ROM. Updated library optimized for PXA270 should be installed separately.
Nov 5 2005, 06:22 PM
Joined: 14-April 05
Member No.: 6,879
I'm a first time user of Cacko rom (Cacko 1.23 full) - I installed it a couple of days ago on my C1000 which is also my first Z.
Below are my first impressions - at length.
The installation itself worked without a hitch (32M root, clean user are etc) and I kept no trace of the previous rom (trisoft/sharp) or apps on the SD card. The 1G SD card (SanDisk) is permanently kept in the machine.
For the apps I used the mirror feed from http://web.mol.ru/~zaurus/feed/.
I couldn't connect w the WiFi card (Pretec CompactWLAN 802.11b). The card took a very long time to initialize but only sometimes became usable; not very often. This card works almost flawlessly w the sharp rom: I use it w Kismet, Opera etc.
That's why I made a feed directory on the SD card & put all I wanted there.
The apps install fine (GUI or cmd line). I used only apps from this feed: opie reader, kismet, kismet-qt, wellenreiter etc. They worked ok. I installed only a few apps not mentioned here on the SD card - most of them & all libs in the main memory.
Wellenreiter could use the card every time without problems but it would only start from the cmd line - never from the icon. If left on for a long time it would run out of available memory thus needing a reboot. I put the file logs/capture on a usb hdd w powered hub - no problems. The same if no capture was enabled. This may be a wellenreiter specific problem - don't give up reading just yet.
Kismet qt & terminal versions both seemed to run ok as usual.
Now - there was a real problem when I tried to use the machine without the external power, only on battery. I must point out that it wasn't over/underclocked & the battery was always over 75% (75 to 100) charged according to the battery applet.
Backlight at minimum on battery, suspend after 30 min. There was no active screensaver and no network card inserted.
When I removed the external power the screen went blank for a second and come back for two-three seconds only to go blank again by itself sometimes or the first time I would touch a key or the screen. This was repeatable with only opie reader running.
Different things happened after this depending on my actions :P
- If I plugged the power back in it would resume work "normally" without touching the power button.
- If I pressed the power button briefly it would sometimes flick on for a second or not then go blank again. It would not start anymore from the power button - external power or not. Reboot needed.
Reboot w external power would be ok.
Without it would go blank at the first fullscreen splash or immediately after that when showing the clock. Plug in the power and it would repeat the above.
The only app kept in memory was opie reader. The battery cover was closed & the switch properly set. I checked repeatedly.
I didn't see anybody having this problem yet and I wonder if there is anything one would care to suggest.
As another experiment I restored a full NAND backup made before Cacko install and I'm waiting to see if the problem would appear w the previous sharp rom. I also restored my SD card contents w apps & whatnot. It's been already an hour and everything worked fine through a few suspend resume cycles. I'll play for a while w the network card and see if it causes any problems.
Leaving aside this problem it looks like a very thorough job, thanks Anton.
On another subject: are the Cacko sources available from somewhere w or without instructions for setting up a development environment?
|Lo-Fi Version||Time is now: 23rd May 2015 - 03:52 AM|