Enjoy.

- Devz
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
post Feb 10 2004, 03:58 AM
Post #2

Group:
Member No.: 0

i see lycoris stole Opie on their screenshots.

+Quote Post
Guest_tapjpa_*
post Feb 10 2004, 03:59 AM
Post #3

Guests

Devz read this http://www.zaurususergroup.com/modules.php...rder=1&thold=-1 and this http://www.zaurususergroup.com/index.php?n...iewtopic&t=1391

+Quote Post
Devz
post Feb 14 2004, 04:22 PM
Post #4

Group: Members
Member No.: 911

Nice reference links tapjpa, thanks.

+Quote Post
treke
post Feb 14 2004, 04:43 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 1,050

Tough to steal something that is open source

+Quote Post
dawest
post Feb 14 2004, 06:44 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 1,315

Good Point... I thought the whole point of open source was to make it available for developement by others?!?! Not to make others come begging for this or that to be improved or developed along this line...

Maybe not?
DW

+Quote Post
Guest_tapjpa_*
post Feb 14 2004, 07:32 PM
Post #7

Guests

Personally I'm looking forward to this ROM, from what I have read so far on this it sounds like this should be a good solid ROM with plenty of function.
Just hoping the PocketPC monicker they gave the product doesn't ruffle M$ feathers and delay the release.

+Quote Post
VeeDubb
post Feb 14 2004, 09:25 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 698

Just hoping the PocketPC monicker they gave the product doesn't ruffle M$ feathers and delay the release.

THat was my response in the first thread about this. I just can't imagine any possible way that this ISN'T a gross copyright violation.

+Quote Post
Devz
post Feb 16 2004, 03:34 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 911

I have read somewhere that there was no copyright issues relating to the phrase 'Pocket PC'

If anyone can grab a relative link, or post any other evidence, please do.

+Quote Post
post Feb 16 2004, 07:43 AM
Post #10

Group:
Member No.: 0

Lycoris probably should have named it Pocket/LX just to be safe.

+Quote Post
lpotter
post May 17 2004, 02:22 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 1,001

the problem Opie devs have with this, is that Lycoris has only taken something, they haven't given back (in the form of development/code) to Opie. The problem Trolltech has with this is they did not license libraries from Trolltech, so it will be illegal for any closed source commercial Qtopia software to be written/run on this. See foot. Shoot.

+Quote Post
Joshp
post May 17 2004, 02:37 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 1,875

All this is I think is just OZ with more eye candy. The way I look at is if you want something thats going to be userfrandley buy a wince or palm device. And the fact that thay toke the code moded it and did not release the sorce goes aganst the GPL. Now for the good ? whan thay relase (if) will it cost any thing. Will thay release the source after thay release the fianle prodect? Or maybe thay wont realse the source. Witch if I am not mistaken is illeagl is it not?

JP

+Quote Post
amrein
post May 17 2004, 11:54 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 1,950

The way I look at is if you want something thats going to be userfrandley buy a wince or palm device.

Good jocke. I'm still laughing. biggrin.gif
Are you a comic?

The problem Trolltech has with this is they did not license libraries from Trolltech, so it will be illegal for any closed source commercial Qtopia software to be written/run on this.

Commercial QTE licencies have the rigth to run their software on any QTE version (GPL+ or closed source), don't they? This is what I read on Trolltech web site 3 months ago (the GPL addon for QTE give them this rigth).

The only problem I see is that if Lycoris doesn't share the modified Qtopia source and still doesn't buy the Qtopia/QTE commercial licence then they will be in trouble.

+Quote Post
padishah_emperor
post May 18 2004, 03:05 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 2,180

I have read somewhere that there was no copyright issues relating to the phrase 'Pocket PC'

If anyone can grab a relative link, or post any other evidence, please do.

I think thats right, if I remember a British company called DIP was the first to make a 'Pocket PC', Atari sold the machine as what is commonly called the Atari Portfolio. But it is actually a DIP 'Pocket PC'. Maybe the current owners of the Atari name or decendants of DIP have a secret court action waiting for just the right time..... oh God please let it be!

As for Lycoris on my Z, I wouldn't run their stuff on a PC, I don't like Opie very much and I doubt I'd bother with it, especially if there is a price tag. But if they commit their changes to the community then it could be a good thing, that's my tuppence worth..

+Quote Post
vishnja
post May 18 2004, 04:45 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 2,283

As for Lycoris on my Z, I wouldn't run their stuff on a PC, I don't like Opie very much and I doubt I'd bother with it, especially if there is a price tag. But if they commit their changes to the community then it could be a good thing, that's my tuppence worth..

I don't like Lycoris either. And they will have to support the new Zauri to get a little interest, as the market changed over the last months a lot. There are already several ROMs available, and IMHO OZ/Opie is the best for the SL5500. So we'll see what they are contributing...

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th December 2014 - 10:00 AM