Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Copying Roms To Flash Card From Osx, Nightmare with Zaurus SL-5500 ROMs/ OSX
sentinel
post Dec 2 2005, 01:15 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,601

Hi,

I've previously made some posts to the general 55xx forum, but suspect some of my questions are more relevant here.

I bought a Zaurus SL-5500, which displayed some strange behaviour (applications starting automatically and cycling between each other), and was advised to update the ROM to the latest Sharp Image (3.13)

However, it keeps bombing on the ROM upgrades.

Two possibilities - each the device I have is a lemon, and no amount of fiddling will ever make it work again - OR, because I am copying ROM images to a flash card from OSX (10.4.3), some minor quirk could be causing a problem.

The first thing that came to mind were the hidden files that are copied to the Flash Card (i.e. .DSSTORE, .Trashes folder), so I went into the Terminal / Midnight Commander and removed these hidden files.

Do these have the potential to cause problems (and do they get written back to the card anyway when I eject it from the Desktop) ?

I just thought I'd check with others who have or may not have had problems upgrading the Zaurus via OSX.

Thanks
Neil.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
jfv
post Dec 2 2005, 07:11 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 202

I usually load ROM images on my flash card using my wife's Mac, since my linux box is an ancient beast without a usb port. I've never bothered removing hidden or non-hidden files and, in fact, sometimes if I want to try a different program on a different ROM, I put the ipk on the card, so when it's done flashing, it can be installed and tried right away. Never had any problems with that. As long as your initrd.bin and zImage are correctly named and in the card's root directory, it should work. As people above mentioned, either the files are corrupted (check the md5sums) or it's something with the Zaurus.

Felipe
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2014 - 11:06 PM