IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> For Those Looking For An Audio Player, Try glurp and mpd
JohnX
post Dec 20 2005, 02:57 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,070

I was poking around the openembedded build environment when I ran across musicpd. Musicpd is a music playing daemon that can be controlled from a front end that connects to it over a network connection. GMPC and Glurp are two Gtk front ends to this daemon that as of 12/19/2005 build with no errors out of the OE dev tree. The memory requirements are impressively low, especially without a front end running (music continues to play when the front end is closed). MP3s and OGGs play fine (though OGGs take 60% - 80% CPU time!). Theoretically it should support AACs and FLACs but I haven't tried either. Glurp has an interface that I find is a nice match to the 640x480 resolution that my C1000 does. Anyways, down to the important part, how to make it work. biggrin.gif
I attached the packages that I built. They're for the C1000 so they should work fine on the 5600 and up IIRC, but the interface seems to have a resolution of at least 640x480 in mind. If they depend on things not in the default GPE feeds, you might try looking in one of these two feeds:
CODE
http://naismith.sakura.ne.jp/feed/
http://ewi546.ewi.utwente.nl/sfeed/

If the dependencies aren't there tell me what it asks for and I'll try and post that package as well. If it just complains about a minor version mismatch it's probably fine to -force-depends. Also attached is a sample configuration file, mpd.conf. I added an mpd user, added him to the audio group and chown'ed /dev/dsp and /dev/mixer to be root.audio. You could of course make them world writable if you wanted to. I didn't want log files to be written to flash, so I pointed thos at /var/log. Because of permissions the user mpd won't be able to write there by default. You can either make a /var/log/mpd subdirectory or do like I did and touch the two log files and chown them to mpd.mpd before starting mpd. GMPC comes with a desktop icon. Glurp does not. I included the one that I hacked up for Glurp. It uses the same icon that GMPC does because I couldn't be bothered to search for anything more suitable. You should change the music and playlist directories in mpd.conf to point someplace more suitable for your install.

Warning: Use these at your own risk! They are barely tested! All I can say is they work for me.

-John
Attached File(s)
Attached File  glurp_0.11.6_r0_armv5te.ipk ( 55.27K ) Number of downloads: 66
Attached File  mpc_0.11.2_r0_armv5te.ipk ( 23.61K ) Number of downloads: 59
Attached File  libao2_0.8.6_r0_armv5te.ipk ( 11.18K ) Number of downloads: 60
Attached File  gmpc_0.11.2_r1_armv5te.ipk ( 85.88K ) Number of downloads: 58
Attached File  glurp.desktop.txt ( 251bytes ) Number of downloads: 43
Attached File  ncmpc_0.11.1_r0_armv5te.ipk ( 41.19K ) Number of downloads: 59
Attached File  mpd_0.11.5_r5_armv5te.ipk ( 75.78K ) Number of downloads: 66

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
grog
post Mar 6 2006, 12:58 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,564

Hi John. Thanks for the pointer from this topic. I do get one error though:

CODE
Installing mpd (0.11.5-r5) to home...
Nothing to be done
An error ocurred, return value: 1.
Collected errors:
ERROR: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for mpd:
        libflac4 (>= 1.1.0)

There's no libflac4 in the test5 feed. I did find it at ipkgfind, but I've never had too much luck using packages from there, so I figured I ask first. thks
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2014 - 11:48 PM