OESF | ELSI | pdaXrom | OpenZaurus | Zaurus Themes | Community Links | Ibiblio

IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> "normal" Java On The Z?, can we run it?
ludo
post Jan 11 2006, 12:32 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,688

I am often refering to Meanie's web site , and have to go back to what there often because as some things get clearer, I have new questions.

One here:
what would prevent the normal java (the sun's J2SE distribution for Linux) to run on the Z?

I have not tried it yet, but it seems that Blackdown Java-Linux is actually the J2SE. So does it mean that we can run any application written and compiled on the PC on the zaurus?

Ludo

(C3000 sharp ROM)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Meanie
post Jan 11 2006, 01:22 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 6,686

QUOTE(ludo @ Jan 11 2006, 06:32 PM)
I am often refering to Meanie's web site , and have to go back to what there often because as some things get clearer, I have new questions.

One here:
what would prevent the normal java (the sun's J2SE distribution for Linux) to run on the Z?

I have not tried it yet, but it seems that Blackdown Java-Linux is actually the J2SE. So does it mean that we can run any application written and compiled on the PC on the zaurus?

Ludo

(C3000 sharp ROM)

You can run j2se apps on the Z, however, they will be slow and you will need X//Qt if you want to run a GUI, ie awt or swing. Also, blackdown is only jre 1.3.1 so any java application using newer apis for 1.5 or 5.0 will not run on the Zaurus.
If you look at my HdPad application, it was written for 1.3.1 so it runs on the Zaurus without needing any modifications or recompilation. Even my HdCrawler app which was compiled with 1.4.1 compiler runs because it hasn't used any of the newer 1.4.x methods and classes.

+Quote Post
DrWowe
post Jan 16 2006, 05:29 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 1,468

QUOTE(Meanie @ Jan 11 2006, 03:22 AM)
Also, blackdown is only jre 1.3.1 so any java application using newer apis for 1.5 or 5.0 will not run on the Zaurus.

Retroweaver can help here.

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st December 2014 - 06:27 AM