Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Zaurus To Web Sync, PHPPIM/PI? Interface to "Web 2.0" APIs
jan
post Mar 10 2006, 02:58 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,115

Most PDA/PIM users sync or backup to their desktop/notebook computers if they backup at all. That's great if you use desktop PIM, it's OK if you use your own PC on a daily basis. I don't use any desktop PIM. Many people don't use personal computers at all; they use computers at home, office and/or school, but they don't/can't install extra software; those computers don't always offer reliable and private long-term storage. PC software/storage was partly replaced by web services (for some, not for me yet). However those web services are not really suited for use with the Z: small screen, not always connected, available browsers not Firefox/MSIE* compatible, ...

My idea is to connect the both: Zaurus/PIM to Web/PIM sync without need for a PC.

Is there any method known? I'm thinking of a PHP calendar/addressbook application which can be configured to accept all fields that OPIE/GPE have and offers a API. Then we can a write some software to run on the Z and connect to the web server by https. (Today you can usually get web access where ever you are, IP MASQ or mandatory proxies are not a problem. Servers that can run PHP/MySQL apps are wide spread.)

* I do know that Firefox does run on the Z and MSIE sucks.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
zipmaster
post Mar 13 2006, 12:55 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 5,353

maybe a sync app for the website http://30boxes.com

+Quote Post
jan
post Mar 14 2006, 06:05 AM
Post #3

QUOTE(zipmaster @ Mar 13 2006, 10:55 PM)
maybe a sync app for the website http://30boxes.com

Maybe. They do offer an API and the plan syncing. That's a start.

I'm not sure whether I'm smart enough to work out a sync algorithm. I'd love to look at an successfull example first. Furthermore I don't know (yet) how well the various standards do (ical, REST, opensync). Hopefully someone with PIM syncing experience will provide hints. My doubts are:
* how to mach entries on both sides. (Subjects and times may change, unique IDs may not be available)
* how to find changes since last sync (timestamps, keep a journal on both sides)
* how to delete (delete&purge, mark as deleted?)
* syncing is a means of backup. Most syncing approaches have "lost data" issues. Shouldn't sync be designed in a way to prevent data loss under all circumstances?

By searching freshmeat I found BRIM promising because it's more than a calender.

As I do not use any PIM yet, I'm absolutely open.

+Quote Post
zipmaster
post Mar 15 2006, 01:41 AM
Post #4

well yes the api isnt complete yet. like you said it needs things like del, and add but it is getting there. i would imgine a sync app would work like how syncing your outlook,or qtopia desktop, with the z works now. you run the program and tell it to sync. from what i get in ur post you want something a little more automatic, i see problems arising from that

+Quote Post
jan
post Mar 15 2006, 09:26 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(zipmaster @ Mar 15 2006, 11:41 AM)
well yes the api isnt complete yet.

Are you a 30boxes developer?

+Quote Post
zipmaster
post Mar 15 2006, 10:55 PM
Post #6

heh nah just a loyal fan.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th December 2014 - 08:26 PM