4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Carbon Fibre/kevlar Zaurus Body, Feeler for interest
ztep
post Mar 27 2006, 03:23 AM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,751

I'm also interested in buying one of these.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fushnchupsh
post Mar 27 2006, 11:33 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 8,282

Yeah, I'd totally be interested!

Keep us posted!

--Fish

+Quote Post
InSearchOf
post Mar 27 2006, 11:42 AM
Post #18

Group: Admin
Member No.: 8,961

Yea... keep us posted... if they are reasonably priced... count me in...

+Quote Post
maytagman
post Mar 27 2006, 03:33 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 9,366

Okay, I have a mold struck on my C1000 and I've put in a material order for a small sheet of kevlar.
To this point I've had difficulty finding a reliable carbon vendor whose prices don't suck, but I'm getting closer.

With regards to added features, modifications...
I don't know what you want, and I want everyone to have *exactly* what they want. For now I am re-creating the sharp body panels exactly, from a struck mold in composite. The idea with the internal CF access is a good one, as well as some of the other thoughts. Keep in mind, though, every modification to the relatively simple base design complicates things pretty heavily. Each hole/opening in the composite requires it either to be laid in (as in, the material is layed with a hole in the desired area prior to any finishing) or machined in. Machining is easier, laying looks prettier. But still, I chose to do this only because the case of the zaurus is relatively simple in shape and angles. The challenges will be the CF/Headphone/IrDA ports, battery door mechanism, and speaker outlet.

If you want to submit a custom design, that's fine. However, I cannot tell just what you want and where you want it by you telling me 'do this'.
I will need you to provide a mold for the design you wish, and hopefully a CAD model or just a detailed drawing of how you want the finish product to look. If you want to go nuts with accessability and extra ports, you may want to look into an option such as plate CNC machining. CNC machines can take your CAD model and mill it exactly from a solid chunk of aluminum (or other material) to your specs. The upside, it may be cheaper, and it will be faster and more precise. The downside is, it will be heavier, less durable, and won't look nearly as cool (although brushed aluminum does look nice and hides scratches well).

I personally would go for a CNC job if this is what you are looking for.

Right now I am thinking of carving a mold for two variants, a slightly fatter version to accomidate integrated electronics such as bluetooth, wifi, and a larger battery, and the normal sized exact duplicate shell.

But I'm jumping the gun. We'll see if I can get my hands on some raw materials first. If anyone knows a source for thin, non sandwiched CF fabric, normal carbon color, 2x2 pattern preferably, let me know.

I'll keep the thread updated.

Update: Found a few rolls on eBay... checking out the sources, may have it sooner than I thought, although the proto model will almost definetly be in kevlar.

+Quote Post
Da_Blitz
post Mar 28 2006, 03:38 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 6,806

cool might shoot you off some diagarams soon, lukily for me i dont need the speaker and i have to rewire the headpone jack due to exessive wear.

+Quote Post
kahm
post Mar 31 2006, 09:05 AM
Post #21

Member No.: 4,809

I'd have to put my vote in for an exact replica. I'll be very interested in seeing the results...

+Quote Post
jerrybme
post Mar 31 2006, 12:08 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 401

Great idea! I'm interested too; at minimum an exact replica. But perhaps one with extra room for a wifi dongle (my dream Z would have both internal BT & WiFi)

Look forward to seeing some pics biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
BarryW
post Mar 31 2006, 05:12 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 3,570

Some pics of the build process would be pretty cool as well. I'm sitting at my desk waiting for the ups dude with my new C3100!

+Quote Post
adf
post Mar 31 2006, 06:38 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 4,572

QUOTE(BarryW @ Apr 1 2006, 01:12 AM)
Some pics of the build process would be pretty cool as well.  I'm sitting at my desk waiting for the ups dude with my new C3100!

Welcome back tongue.gif

+Quote Post
BarryW
post Mar 31 2006, 07:28 PM
Post #25

QUOTE(adf @ Mar 31 2006, 05:38 PM)
Some pics of the build process would be pretty cool as well.  I'm sitting at my desk waiting for the ups dude with my new C3100!

Welcome back tongue.gif

Still waiting... sad.gif

What, like you guys didn't think I'd be gone long did you? I do have to say I was very dissapointed with the Axim. Hardware wise it's killer, it's just Micro$oft effed it up.

+Quote Post
Cresho
post Mar 31 2006, 08:16 PM
Post #26

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 809

QUOTE(BarryW @ Mar 31 2006, 07:28 PM)
QUOTE(adf @ Mar 31 2006, 05:38 PM)

Welcome back tongue.gif

Still waiting... sad.gif

What, like you guys didn't think I'd be gone long did you? I do have to say I was very dissapointed with the Axim. Hardware wise it's killer, it's just Micro$oft effed it up.

I knew you'd post in here. your a modder at heart. Axim is a piece of crap hardware from what i read already.

+Quote Post
BarryW
post Apr 1 2006, 12:09 AM
Post #27

Well I got it!! Now I'm trying to convert it back to something I can use. It had bsd on it. Trying to get it back to "stock" then go from there. What's the most user frendly rom for it right now? OpenZ looks pretty good, but I don't see the install files for it.

+Quote Post
Da_Blitz
post Apr 1 2006, 01:32 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 6,806

http://www.oesf.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=18353; trust me its worth it 2.6 flies

+Quote Post
BarryW
post Apr 1 2006, 02:40 AM
Post #29

QUOTE(Da_Blitz @ Apr 1 2006, 12:32 AM)

Except I get a kernel panic at boot with it. So far the only rom I can get to boot is cacko. I can't even get the stock sharp rom to boot, get the hdd1 error there. Pulled the drive and reformatted it on my linux laptop, put the files where they are supposed to go and... hdd1 error.

+Quote Post
BarryW
post Apr 1 2006, 11:30 AM
Post #30

Who Hoo!! Got OpenZ to boot! Missed the initrd / hdimage1 part.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2014 - 11:05 PM