OESF | ELSI | pdaXrom | OpenZaurus | Zaurus Themes | Community Links | Ibiblio

IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Oz 3.5.4.1 Beta 2 Questions, Bugs? Or am I a dummy?
Antikx
post Apr 16 2006, 08:04 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,127

I have a few issues I'm trying to resolve with OZ 3.5.4.1 Beta2 and I thought I would post them here incase they aren't bugs and I'm just need to do somethign to make them work, etc. If they are bugs I'll be happy to report them.
-Audio through the headphone jack doesn't seem to work. When I plug in headphones I hear nothing in the headphones and I still hear audio through the external speaker. Do I need to adjust something?
-From searching I found this: OE Forum but it's not too helpful. sad.gif
-Adjusting the volume from the applet does not adjust the volume.
-How do you close the "Audio Mixer" cleanly? I've been closing it by killing the process.
-Plugging in a USB mouse and USB keyboard (from what I see) does not work even though "dmesg" says it installs a driver. I read something in the forums about a USB driver that is needed, but dmsg says it installs a driver, so I'm confused. Sorry.
-Installing applications using the pakage manage does not alwyas work but installing it via commandline ipkg install packagename works. I tried to duplicate the problem so I could give you the error message, but it behaved itself then I tied. rolleyes.gif Go figure.
-What do OZ/GPE users us to read PDF's? Searching the fourm/feed hasn't helped me.
-What do OZ/GPE users use to read comic books?
-Has anyone successfully setup the proper timezone in 3.5.4.1?
-I appreciate the work put into making gpe-minibrowser availalble, but I find I have to shut it down and restart it avery 4 min because it ends up using all my RAM and gets really slow. Is Dillo available for OZ? ( Sorry for sounding like a pdaXrom fanboy smile.gif )
-What is the poper method for configuring OZ to use a Swap partition on an SD card?

Thanks for your patience. I promise to be more of an asset and less of a hindrance soon. smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
darmou
post Apr 16 2006, 08:55 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 5,956

QUOTE(Antikx @ Apr 17 2006, 04:04 AM)
I have a few issues I'm trying to resolve with OZ 3.5.4.1 Beta2 and I thought I would post them here incase they aren't bugs and I'm just need to do somethign to make them work, etc. If they are bugs I'll be happy to report them.
-Audio through the headphone jack doesn't seem to work. When I plug in headphones I hear nothing in the headphones and I still hear audio through the external speaker. Do I need to adjust something?

try using alsamixer from the command line. I have been having problems with sound also. the 'm' key umutes so if you see an 'm' that option is mutted '00' means its not muted.

-From searching I found this: OE Forum but it's not too helpful. sad.gif
-Adjusting the volume from the applet does not adjust the volume.
-How do you close the "Audio Mixer" cleanly? I've been closing it by killing the process.
-Plugging in a USB mouse and USB keyboard (from what I see) does not work even though "dmesg" says it installs a driver. I read something in the forums about a USB driver that is needed, but dmsg says it installs a driver, so I'm confused. Sorry.
-Installing applications using the pakage manage does not alwyas work but installing it via commandline ipkg install packagename works. I tried to duplicate the problem so I could give you the error message, but it behaved itself then I tied.  rolleyes.gif Go figure.
-What do OZ/GPE users us to read PDF's? Searching the fourm/feed hasn't helped me.

you can use either evince or xpdf.

-What do OZ/GPE users use to read comic books?

Not sure what format they are in, there is a reader (fbreader in the upgrades feed)

-Has anyone successfully setup the proper timezone  in 3.5.4.1?

I found linking Melbourne in the australia-timezones packages with /etc/localtime then using
ntpdate time.apple.com to update the time works but then on reeboot you need to update the time again.

In one of the origonal oz releaces 3.5.2? adding more timezones would add them to the gui. This does not happen any more. I don't know why it's now broken, but it is:(. So this is a work around.

-I appreciate the work put into making gpe-minibrowser availalble, but I find I have to shut it down and restart it avery 4 min because it ends up using all my RAM and gets really slow. Is Dillo available for OZ? ( Sorry for sounding like a pdaXrom fanboy smile.gif )

yes dillo is avaliable for oz just ipkg install dillo2

-What is the poper method for configuring OZ to use a Swap partition on an SD card?

Don't know I'm afraid.
Thanks for your patience. I promise to be more of an asset and less of a hindrance soon. smile.gif

No problem,

I'm still trying to get things to work also:)

darmou

+Quote Post
Antikx
post Apr 17 2006, 04:40 AM
Post #3

Thanks for you replies. I'm better off now.
Anyone have any advice for settng up a swap partition?

+Quote Post
grog
post Apr 17 2006, 06:54 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 1,564

QUOTE(Antikx @ Apr 16 2006, 10:04 PM)

I use gpdf. Not tested extensively, but seems to work fine.

-Has anyone successfully setup the proper timezone  in 3.5.4.1?

Just setting it in the time applet seems to have worked for me (CST, since we're both in the same one smile.gif). I also have TZ=CST+6CDT in both my own user & root's ~/.profile files. I'd put that there to support some scripts I run; maybe that's why I don't have problems? Don't know.

I use dillo2 as well. There's some things I liike about gpe-mini-browser, but until the anchor problem is fixed, won't be my only browser.

This is what I do. Probably not the right way, but hey, it works for me smile.gif. I have the attached script saved under /etc/init.d/swapon.sh & the following symlinks:

CODE
grog@grond[pts/1][~]$ find /etc/ -type l -name \*swapon\* -ls
 4945    0 lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           19 Apr  2 20:19 /etc/rc0.d/K15swapon.sh -> ../init.d/swapon.sh
 4946    0 lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           19 Apr  2 20:19 /etc/rc1.d/K15swapon.sh -> ../init.d/swapon.sh
 4948    0 lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           19 Apr  2 20:19 /etc/rc5.d/S30swapon.sh -> ../init.d/swapon.sh
 4947    0 lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           19 Apr  2 20:19 /etc/rc6.d/K15swapon.sh -> ../init.d/swapon.sh

Like I said, works for me. HTH
Attached File(s)
Attached File  swapon.sh.txt ( 1.17K ) Number of downloads: 34

+Quote Post
koen
post Apr 17 2006, 07:13 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 6,107

[quote=grog,Apr 17 2006, 02:54 PM]
[quote=Antikx,Apr 16 2006, 10:04 PM]-What do OZ/GPE users us to read PDF's? Searching the [quote]-What is the poper method for configuring OZ to use a Swap partition on an SD card?
[/quote]
This is what I do. Probably not the right way, but hey, it works for me smile.gif. I have the attached script saved under /etc/init.d/swapon.sh & the following symlinks:

CODE
grog@grond[pts/1][~]$ find /etc/ -type l -name \*swapon\* -ls
 4945    0 lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           19 Apr  2 20:19 /etc/rc0.d/K15swapon.sh -> ../init.d/swapon.sh
 4946    0 lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           19 Apr  2 20:19 /etc/rc1.d/K15swapon.sh -> ../init.d/swapon.sh
 4948    0 lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           19 Apr  2 20:19 /etc/rc5.d/S30swapon.sh -> ../init.d/swapon.sh
 4947    0 lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           19 Apr  2 20:19 /etc/rc6.d/K15swapon.sh -> ../init.d/swapon.sh

Like I said, works for me. HTH

[/quote]

Why not add the swap partition to /etc/fstab like on your desktop? That seems to work fine over here.

+Quote Post
grog
post Apr 17 2006, 08:48 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(koen @ Apr 17 2006, 09:13 AM)
Why not add the swap partition to /etc/fstab like on your desktop? That seems to work fine over here.

The last time I tried that (oz/opie 3.5.3) the fstab wasn't being recognized, so that's why I came up with the script. I'll try it again & see what happens. thks

+Quote Post
Antikx
post Apr 17 2006, 08:58 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(darmou @ Apr 16 2006, 10:55 PM)
darmou

I'll be jiggered if I can find either of those two apps. Can you give me a hint?

+Quote Post
darmou
post Apr 18 2006, 01:43 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 5,956

QUOTE(Antikx @ Apr 18 2006, 04:58 AM)
QUOTE(darmou @ Apr 16 2006, 10:55 PM)
darmou

I'll be jiggered if I can find either of those two apps. Can you give me a hint?

Oops, I got them both from the koen feed but not that feed does not exist:(

I notice evince is in embedded so I'll ask hrw to build it.

In the meantime try this ipk:

http://darmou.freeshell.org/evince_0.3.2-r1_arm.ipk

My openembedded setup is somewhat borked atm.

darmou

+Quote Post
Antikx
post Apr 20 2006, 06:39 PM
Post #9

darmou: Evince is very nice! Thanks!

+Quote Post
Hrw
post Apr 20 2006, 10:54 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 1,413

evince 0.5.2 is in upgrades

+Quote Post
grog
post Apr 21 2006, 03:12 AM
Post #11

QUOTE(Antikx @ Apr 20 2006, 08:39 PM)
darmou: Evince is very nice! Thanks!

I second that smile.gif

+Quote Post
Antikx
post Apr 21 2006, 06:54 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(Hrw @ Apr 21 2006, 12:54 AM)

Thank you hrw. It's a really great app.

+Quote Post
ShiroiKuma
post Dec 8 2006, 10:33 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 3,385

QUOTE(Hrw @ Apr 21 2006, 07:54 AM)

Where is it? I can't find it.

+Quote Post
rolf
post Dec 10 2006, 01:28 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 4,884

QUOTE(ShiroiKuma @ Dec 8 2006, 08:33 PM)
QUOTE(Hrw @ Apr 21 2006, 07:54 AM)

Where is it? I can't find it.

1) go to http://ewi546.ewi.utwente.nl/tmp/hrw/fb/
2) type in evince
3) install and be happy ;-)

+Quote Post
xjqian
post Jan 18 2007, 10:53 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 1,478

don't want to open a new thread. This is OZ 3.5.4.2-rc2 on Tosa.

Why all my sd cards are mounted as /dev/mmcblk0pl on /media/mmcblk0pl? The line in fstab were not honored.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th November 2014 - 05:35 PM