OESF | ELSI | pdaXrom | OpenZaurus | Zaurus Themes | Community Links | Ibiblio

IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> How Does One Reduce The System Cache Size?, The teal part of Cacko's memory use bar
Ragnorok
post Apr 17 2006, 11:06 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 781

- If cache and free memory are counted together, I have about half of my memory "free", yet Cacko's memory applet often nudges into the yellow, and when I check, I see "free" is very low, about a meg, but there is always plenty of "cache". Right now I have 5MB "free" and 25MB "cache".
- I'd like to tell the system to be more aggressive about reducing the "cache" part, so I'll have more "free" part. I'd be much happier to see cache limited to about 10MB, just to see how the system responds with that, and have the rest be left as free RAM. I'm not entirely convinced that it's freeing cache when it's low on memory, and I have a hard time believing it really needs 20MB of cache at all times.

- I'm thinking of trying this same thing on this FC4 desktop system. It's got a paltry 256MB RAM, and uses RDRAM, so upgrading isn't really an option. It shows a paltry 48MB free, and I don't like that, when top shows 122MB cached. Seems to be a Linux trait. (grin)

- Is cache size reduction possible? If so, how does one go about it? Thanks for your time...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th August 2014 - 11:15 PM