OESF | ELSI | pdaXrom | OpenZaurus | Zaurus Themes | Community Links | Ibiblio

IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How2 dial into GPRS using blueZ+dialup applet?
Flowmoon
post Feb 23 2004, 02:35 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 518

I got stuck with setting up a dial-up connection thru GPRS on my SonyEricsson Z600...

Dialup over GSM and GPRS from my laptop works fine:
* dial-up over a normal GSM line works from the Z, using BlueZ and the dialup applet from http://my-zaurus.narod.ru/bluetooth.html -so apparantly the Z and the phone are paired and the dialup applet does it job fine.
* dial-up over a GSM line AND GPRS both work fine from my Win2k laptop, using the same blue monkey bluetooth CF card which I use for the Z -so also the phone appears to be OK.

But if I try to dial-in from my Z using the settings below then the CF card LED flashes one or two seconds, the phone shows a BT link but no GPRS connection icon and the Z shows "initializing modem" forever until the connection is aborted after about one and a half minute.

The dialup applet settings for the GPRS connection for my provider (Orange Netherlands) I took from various sources -and again, these same settings work fine if I dial up from my PC:
* account: username and password are set to "orange" (actually I believe an arbitrary string would be OK), phone number to dial: *99***1#
* modem, BT device: /dev/rfcomm0, init string: AT+cgdcont=1,"IP","internet", speed: 57600, hardware flow control 6 secs
* network: all set to auto-detect
These settings match a data account CID=1, APN address "internet" on my phone.

What might be the problem here /what did I overlook?

Thanks for any suggestion...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tamarian
post Feb 24 2004, 02:17 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 1,617

I don't use cell phones for GPRS, but I did find this docuemt helpful:

http://kotinetti.suomi.net/mcfrisk/linux_gprs.html

Try some of the scripts from the command line, and if it works, copy the script over to override your applet script (named DIALxxxx

+Quote Post
maslovsky
post Feb 26 2004, 07:38 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 89

Try to add this string instead:

AT+cgdcont=1,"IP","internet"

Also, make sure that you've configured /dev/rfcomm0 device using instructions on this site.

+Quote Post
Flowmoon
post Feb 26 2004, 01:51 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 518

It works!!

This "cgdcont" is apparantly the key: I found a file /etc/ppp/peers/DialupBluetooth-etc (suppose that is what you meant with "DIALxxxx script") which appears to contain the information entered using the dial up applet, including the "cgdcont" line -then found an example script which suggests to simply enter "ATZ" here (or in the corresponding line of the dialup applet) -and it works, finally managed to get a connection thru GPRS, browse the internet with Opera etc.

Amazingly really because all sources suggested a line like AT+cgdcont=1,"IP","internet" -and this also worked from my Win2K laptop.. Suppose the reference to the data account CID=1 through the dialnr *99***1# is enough to do the job..

Anyways, thanks for your suggestions -another happy Z browser!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th August 2014 - 01:13 PM