Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Installing Ipk Files With Ipkg On Oz
fennis
post May 11 2006, 02:12 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,834

Hello,

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this, if it is not, I apologise.

I just flashed my rom on my zaurus 5500 with OZ. I am trying to install a bunch of apps and games all in ipk format.

My ipk files are on my SD card, so i go to the directory and type
ipkg install name-of-file.ipk

it then installs it to root, or so it says.

However, I can't find the files and how to run them. I can see that it is installed somewhere as when i go to package information it has the app installed (as it happens it has a whole range of other apps and tools installed, but i cant find out where they are and how to access them)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Fennis
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lardman
post May 12 2006, 02:41 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 464

Assuming they are installed, the icons (assuming you're using Opie) will only appear if you click the 'refresh icons' (or similar) icon on the settings page.

If the binaries actually don't exist, then you might look at whether you've run out of space on / (this happens quite often with the 5500 as it only has a small flash partition.)

If you've run out of space, I'd install to SD (ext2 formatted) by adding '-d sd' to your ipkg command line.

Si

+Quote Post
fennis
post May 12 2006, 05:55 AM
Post #3

Thanks for your reply....

well i am running opie, but it does very strange things, and i am not sure it is properly installed.

I dont have anything installed in the rom in the moment,as i just flashed the rom to put OZ on. I dont have any icons that are similar to refresh icons or anything like that. when i look at my packages installed (via package manger) it has a whole load of things, like i can see the game i am trying to install zsudoku, but i cant find it! i have 4 tabs at the top, pim, applications, Settings and documents and i cant see any useful icons in any of them!

i am trying to install it from SD on to ROm but perhaps i should try and install it on the SD card.

Thanks

QUOTE(lardman @ May 12 2006, 02:41 AM)
Assuming they are installed, the icons (assuming you're using Opie) will only appear if you click the 'refresh icons' (or similar) icon on the settings page.

If the binaries actually don't exist, then you might look at whether you've run out of space on / (this happens quite often with the 5500 as it only has a small flash partition.)

If you've run out of space, I'd install to SD (ext2 formatted) by adding '-d sd' to your ipkg command line.

Si

+Quote Post
Greg2
post May 12 2006, 06:31 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 792

You will have to let us know what kernel you are using for us to help you. Did you install the 64-0, 58-6 or which one?

Can you post the output of
CODE
df -h

Greg

+Quote Post
fennis
post May 12 2006, 08:04 AM
Post #5

Thanks!

Here it is:
Filesystem Size Used Available Use Mounted on
/dev/mtdblock4 14.1M 12.9M 1.3M 91% /
/dev/mtdblock6 31.0M 18.0K 29.4M 0% /media/ram
tmpfs 14.7M 0% /var
/dev/mmcda1 122.4M 29.4M 93.0M 24% /media/card

QUOTE(Greg2 @ May 12 2006, 06:31 AM)
You will have to let us know what kernel you are using for us to help you. Did you install the 64-0, 58-6 or which one?

Can you post the output of
CODE
df -h

Greg

+Quote Post
Greg2
post May 12 2006, 10:54 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 792

QUOTE(fennis @ May 12 2006, 12:04 PM)
/dev/mtdblock6            31.0M              18.0K        29.4M    0%    /media/ram

OK... that looks like you've installed the 32-32 kernel and /media/ram is full.

You 'could' use ipkg to uninstall some apps from ram and reinstall to your SD-card... I would suggest however that you reflash your Z with the 64-0 kernel and install 'everything' to your SD-card. This would give you 64MB of ram to use for running your apps.

Whatever you decide to do... you will have to reformat your SD-card with an ext2 filesystem to install and properly symlink the apps. Here's instructions if you need them:
http://www.oesf.org/index.php?title=Step-b...ing_for_newbies

As a side note, you've posted this in the Development section. It's OK this time, but in the future would you please post a user support question about OZ in the > Roms Support and Discussion> OZ sections. smile.gif

Let us know if you have any questions or problems.

Greg

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2014 - 11:57 AM