OESF | ELSI | pdaXrom | OpenZaurus | Zaurus Themes | Community Links | Ibiblio

IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> CF ethernet card on c860/tkcROM 2.5.1
raybert
post Feb 24 2004, 11:53 AM
Post #1





Group: Members
Posts: 233
Joined: 2-December 03
From: Boston, MA
Member No.: 1,029



I'm wondering if anyone might have an idea what's wrong:

I have a Hawking Technology CF ethernet card. It worked perfectly in my 5500 with tkcROM but I can't get it to connect on my c860 using tkcROM 2.5.1 (Sash Kernel).

The card is recognized correctly ("Unknown NE2000 Compatible Ethernet"; pcnet_cs; net/8390) and the network applet pops up. I can tell it to connect, etc., but the card seems to never turn on (no lights).

I've compared the environment to that on my 5500 and everything seems identical, as for the card ID and the /etc/pcmcia/config entry that it matches, etc. I can put the card back into my 5500 and it still works fine (so it's not the card).

I'm not sure where the pcnet_cs module comes from (is it built into the kernel?) so I can't compare the modules.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

~ray
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
JoPeters
post Feb 26 2004, 11:58 AM
Post #2





Group: Members
Posts: 17
Joined: 19-February 04
Member No.: 1,948



Hi,
I had the same problem with my c760/sharp rom.
After editing the smb.conf (and starting the samba-server if no usb connection) it works.

In the /etc/rc.d/init.d/samba/smb.conf add eth0 to the interfaces line.

Hope it helps...?!?

JoPeters
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
raybert
post Feb 26 2004, 09:31 PM
Post #3





Group: Members
Posts: 233
Joined: 2-December 03
From: Boston, MA
Member No.: 1,029



Thanks but I just found the problem a little while ago. It seems that my /etc/pcmcia/network.opts file got messed up. Long story, but I had some weirdness with the network app after I first installed the rom that may have been caused by some files that I restored but should not have. Anyway, I replaced network.opts and wlan_ng.opts with the versions from my 5500 and now the lan card works fine.

This is how I found the problem...

I had decided to diagnose it by trying the connection manually from the command line ("cardctl scheme x"). I looked in network.opts to find the scheme name but my lan settings weren't there!! I thought this was quite strange and I was stumped as to where the settings were being stored (the network applet had not forgotten my settings). I have a pretty good idea how the wireless stuff gets stored (because of my work with kismet_qt) but I have little experience with the straight lan stuff and I wasn't completely sure that it was stored the same way. I searched everywhere but couldn't find it. Yet the network applet remembered it. Very strange. (I've since deduced that the network applet must cache of all this stuff in memory -- I've found that I have to reboot for changes in network.opts to be seen. I didn't try it but I bet it would have forgotten my settings after a reboot.)

I immediately thought of the network applet weirdness that ocurred right after installation; I hadn't thought about that in a while because I had assumed it was all fixed (everything, including wifi, had been working fine, until this problem surfaced). So I started to suspect that network.opts was corrupted somehow.

Since the network applet still knew about the scheme I had defined, I knew there had to be a scheme name defined somewhere and I thought of a way to get it. I initiated a connection attempt and then cat'ed /var/lib/pcmcia/scheme, which yielded "qpelan1".

I then retried the connection manually using "cardctl scheme qpelan1". And this time I got an error that said (paraphrasing) "qpelan1/eth0 unknown interface". Apparently, cardctl couldn't find qpelan1 in network.opts (not surprising since IT WASN'T THERE!! wink.gif

At this point I was virtually certain that network.opts was corrupted. I made backups of network.opts and wlan_ng.opts and then copied the working ones from my 5500 (and rebooted).

When my c860 came back up, everything worked fine!

So, it seems that the weirdness that ocurred after installation had not been completely fixed. I suspect that the network applet was unable to save the new scheme data to network.opts because the corruption prevented it from recognizing the file contents properly and this prevented the connection from succeeding. I'm not sure exactly how this weirdness/corruption happened. I'm wondering now if I shouldn't re-flash the rom from scratch in case there are other unseen problems.

~ray
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

 



RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st August 2014 - 07:56 AM