OESF | ELSI | pdaXrom | OpenZaurus | Zaurus Themes | Community Links | Ibiblio

IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Question Concerning Authenticity Of Lexar Sd Card., Calling Lexar Platinum SD card owners.
gagware
post Jun 21 2006, 08:40 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,615

'Afternoon.
Have a simple question for Lexar SD card owners, especially the ones with the (1Gb) platinum model. I bought mine especially to use (ext2) in my SL6000 because I've read almost only good things about it - after a lot of bad experiences with Sandisk cards I just wanted to be sure. The only problem is...I still have problems, less, but still it suffers from data corruption etc. I've read somewhere that cards made in China are known to cause problems, and cards from Japan generally are functioning without problems. Furthermore it seems that from China comes a lot of cheap/imitated hardware lately.

Could some of you Lexar SD card owners please have a quick look at the back of your card and tell me in what way the text on your card is put? I've heard it's usual imprinted with laser, in my case it are white letters just 'printed' on the card itself (3401-1GBSB 5005C Made in China). Maybe, just maybe, my card is a fake - which would explain the errors.

Thanks in advance.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 5)
iamasmith
post Jun 21 2006, 10:19 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 3,928

http://www.valuemedia.co.uk/popparts.htm?part=SD1000LH

according to this site their Lexar card is made in China also... not quite the same part code but close.

+Quote Post
spartan
post Jun 21 2006, 10:53 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 5,501

QUOTE(gagware @ Jun 21 2006, 04:40 PM)
Could some of you Lexar SD card owners please have a quick look at the back of your card and tell me in what way the text on your card is put? I've heard it's usual imprinted with laser, in my case it are white letters just 'printed' on the card itself (3401-1GBSB 5005C Made in China). Maybe, just maybe, my card is a fake - which would explain the errors.

Thanks in advance.

Mine is imprinted by laser, reading:
LEXAR MEDIA
SD1GB-100M
A040607N
MADE IN U.S.A.

+Quote Post
sdjf
post Jun 21 2006, 12:32 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 8,551

I believe Lexar really does have their cards made in various places. I have two of their CF cards, bought from a reputable source (geeks.com), both lazer-printed on their edges, with one label indicating "Made in U.S.A." and the other "Made in Singapore". Neither has given me trouble, but I have not reformatted them and they are CF cards, not SD.

The lack of lazer-printing is an obviously bad sign, unless the card is very old and they used ink previosly.

sdjf

+Quote Post
TRIsoft
post Jun 22 2006, 01:57 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 3,587

Hi Gagware,

we don't think that you got a faked card. Like sdjf posted,
Lexar manufactures cards around the world.

It's not unusual that we receive a shipment of 10 cards, made
in three different factories. It's always a pain for export orders
that we have to look up the country of origin for every card unsure.gif

(But in the last months most 1GB Platinum were made in the USA)

///TRIsoft

Marc Stephan

+Quote Post
gagware
post Jun 22 2006, 05:59 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 6,615

Thank you all for your help so far.
In the mean time I have had contact with Lexar live support (chat on their website), which I have to say is absolutely fabulous. The guy in the chat couldn't help me right away, which didn't sound that strange to me since I had some sort of an unusuall question. Today however I received a phone call from Lexar support in the U.S.A. in which I was told that indeed my card came from a batch of Chinese manufactured cards, so it's not a fake. Lexar then offered to change my card (for a Japanese one) through a branch office in the U.K. which I am going to contact now*.
Thumbs up for Lexar support!

By the way, the whole Chinese/Japan thing concerning SD cards I found here.

*UPDATE: Had contact with Lexar in the U.K., they will indeed replace my card for a new one, have sent it yesterday.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th August 2014 - 03:13 PM