> Hardware, Add any hardware you want here
Da_Blitz
post Jul 27 2006, 08:19 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,806

Just post any hardware you want to see here and we will start discussing it

Suggested so far:
RFID - So far it looks like a No on thi s one, most people wont use it and thier are better ways to implement it
CIR/FIR - its in and alwas has been, should have the extended range that people want for TV
Abient light detector - unkown, there is a posibility but using the camera would be a better option as it has these built in for auto compinsation
Person detector - not feasiable but alternetives exsist
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
7 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 14)
adf
post Jul 27 2006, 10:06 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 4,572

QUOTE(Da_Blitz @ Jul 28 2006, 04:19 AM)
Just post any hardware you want to see here and we will start discussing it

Suggested so far:
RFID - So far it looks like a No on thi s one, most people wont use it and thier are better ways to implement it

are the current specs posted? if so where? I don't want to start going back over things decided on already.
oops..2 posts down.

+Quote Post
Da_Blitz
post Jul 27 2006, 11:51 PM
Post #3

Nothing really is laid in stone however refer to the faq post as that gives you a rundown of what is in it, i would consider that to be the minium or a bit more than the minimum at the moment

+Quote Post
Ferret-Simpson
post Jul 28 2006, 01:40 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 7,295

What do you mean the Minimum?

We're running out of I/O, internal physical space, and Battery power. XD

I'd say that was not the minimum but more the almost-limit. . . But sttill, post away any final requests, and I admit, RFID was a bad idea.

+Quote Post
Da_Blitz
post Jul 28 2006, 02:53 AM
Post #5

i dont think RFID is that bad however thier are 3 standards that are incompatiblo (as was pointed out) and it can be implemented in better ways

i dont belive RFID has been implemented well to begin with and has been hyped too much. then again i dont trust the goverment or a major company to implement anything in a secrue manner. smile.gif

almost limit: i guess however i have a strict set of features that i wont budge on, in terms of space compared to most PDAs i have seen we have lots left over providing we keep going for these all in one chips (the RPU, Wifi and Bluetooth are normally 2 or 3 chip designs)

+Quote Post
Ferret-Simpson
post Jul 28 2006, 06:22 AM
Post #6

Well, for the sake of throwing in extra hardware to at least discuss. . . Well, the only thing that hasn't either been officially rejected or included now. . is Serial. . Which seemed to mysteriously disappear.

Any chance of a Serial port for connecting to my Servers? That and an LED torch? (The Sony Erricson that I've been lent till I can get my new Universal has one which I find useful. .) Just a white LED beam torch. And obviously we won't be using a standard 9FD or DTE port. . . But some sort of RS232 IO onboard? That way I can use the PPZ as a Serial Terminal without having to hook up C3PO, my RS232<=>TCPIP translator unit.

+Quote Post
wsuetholz
post Jul 28 2006, 02:12 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 10,462

With regards to the display, I can't remember if this was asked before (and I don't want to go back through 29 pages worth of conversations), Is there anyway to get a source of the displays used in the Nokia 770, now that is a sweet display.

Bill

+Quote Post
Ferret-Simpson
post Jul 28 2006, 02:28 PM
Post #8

Too big. Not a "Pocket" device.

We're looking at the screen from the 6000, or as close as we can get to it.

ALSO a sweet display. ^^

+Quote Post
Ferret-Simpson
post Jul 28 2006, 02:54 PM
Post #9

Additional Audio socket for Nokia-Style headsets.

I got a couple of old-favourites that I don't wanna get rid of. My Bakelite Telephone for one.

+Quote Post
adf
post Jul 28 2006, 03:26 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 4,572

QUOTE(Ferret-Simpson @ Jul 28 2006, 02:22 PM)
Well, for the sake of throwing in extra hardware to at least discuss. . . Well, the only thing that hasn't either been officially rejected or included now. . is Serial. .  Which seemed to mysteriously disappear.

Any chance of a Serial port for connecting to my Servers? That and an LED torch? (The Sony Erricson that I've been lent till I can get my new Universal has one which I find useful.  .) Just a white LED beam torch. And obviously we won't be using a standard 9FD or DTE port. . . But some sort of RS232 IO onboard? That way I can use the PPZ as a Serial Terminal without having to hook up C3PO, my RS232<=>TCPIP translator unit.

why not just do a usb > serial adapter? the thing won't have any structural material left in the sides with all theses ports biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Ferret-Simpson
post Jul 29 2006, 04:40 AM
Post #11

How would I access that from minicom?

/dev/ttyUS0 Or something like that?

Wait. . . There's a new Driver access system under 2.6.x, isn;t there?

+Quote Post
Da_Blitz
post Jul 29 2006, 07:48 AM
Post #12

We do have a spare ttl-serial port free but a usb option is a better idea as it does the 10v and -10v as well as protecting your PDA

yeah it shows up as /dev/ttyUSB0

works well smile.gif

an LED flashlight is an ekcelent idea, at the moment i just display a white background on the screen and pump up the backlight

+Quote Post
Ferret-Simpson
post Jul 29 2006, 08:48 AM
Post #13

Most of the mobile phones I've seen have one these days. . . Not sure how to implement it, it's usually a bank of 1mm LED's. . .I count 6 on the Sony Erricson. (3 on each side of the camera lense)

+Quote Post
Da_Blitz
post Jul 30 2006, 05:04 AM
Post #14

depends where we put it (pocking out the side or on the bottom) if its on the bottom a bank works best otherwise i would think a standard LED would be better

+Quote Post
Ferret-Simpson
post Jul 30 2006, 09:22 AM
Post #15

Well, on the side is more practical, as far as torches go. It's a case of comparative brightness though, I guess.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th December 2014 - 04:19 PM