IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Upgrading Your Openbsd Zaurus, FAQ?
mathemajikian
post Aug 1 2006, 12:52 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,349

Since 4.0 is right around the corner I want to kind of prepare myself for a successful upgrade. From Andys guide I obtained the following

*Maintenance Step, On subsequent OpenBSD releases updating the initrd.bin*

When a new OpenBSD version is released for the Zaurus (or a snapshot) if you decide to install that release it is probably wise to update zbsdmod.o and zboot located in the flash of the Zaurus.

To achieve this update perform the following steps.

i. Copy zbsdmod.o and zboot to a storage card.

ii. Enter Emergency Linux as described earlier in this document.

iii. Enter the following commands..

mkdir /mnt/flashroot
mount -t jffs2 /dev/mtdblock2 /mnt/flashroot
cd /mnt/flashroot/bsd

iv. Insert the storage card and copy the new versions of zboot and zbsdmod.o to this location as follows (if using a CF card then substitute the path /mnt/cf for /mnt/card).

cp /mnt/card/zbsdmod.o .
cp /mnt/card/zboot .

v. Flag zboot as executable using..

chmod +x zboot

vi. Reboot the device using...

shutdown -r now

If I download the source can the kernel be built normally on the Z? If so how long would this take? I'm assuming x < 5 days! I know that during a normal install that the packges consisting of a base install are just pulled down and unpacked. Is there a similar way of doing this without going through the installation process?

Thanks in Advance!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
iamasmith
post Aug 2 2006, 12:57 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 3,928

actually there was a typo in my earlier response, top marks for anyone that spotted.

etcNN.tgz and xetcNN.tgz are the archives that are skipped during update (where NN = version number).

+Quote Post
mathemajikian
post Aug 17 2006, 05:31 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 10,349

HOW TO UPGRADE YOUR OPENBSD ZAURUS TO CURRENT SNAPSHOT

Warning! upgrades of OpenBSD are currently only supported from the
immediately previous release.

a. Copy the latest and greatest zbsdmod.o and bsd.rd from
ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/zaurus to sd/cf card.

b. Unplug Zaurus from AC power.

c. Remove battery cover from the SL-C3200

d. Leaving the Battery Cover OFF, return the battery cover lock to the LOCKED position.

e. Locate reset switch on the left side edge of battery compartment.

f. Open the unit so that the keyboard is accessible with one hand and the base of the unit is accessible with the other.

g. Hold down D+B on the keyboard and whilst these keys are held depress the reset button using the stylus.

h. Release the D+B keys and within a few seconds the unit should start to boot into Emergency Linux.

i. Reconnect AC power.

j. Return battery cover lock to unlocked position, Replace battery cover, Lock cover.

k. Log into Emergency Linux using the username root (no password).

l. Insert the SD or CF storage card.

m. Change directory:
# cd /mnt/card for SD card or
# cd /mnt/cf for a CF card.

n. Load kernel module:
# insmod zbsdmod.o

o. cp bsd.rd to the zboot proc entry:
# cp bsd.rd /proc/zboot

You should now be observing the OpenBSD kernel boot messages.

p. In the text below everything after a ? should be typed as is except for text in ( !@#$%^). Some options are already selected as the [default response] and will only require you to press enter. Alot of this is just commen sense but I have listed it anyway.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Term? vt200
(I)Install (U)Upgrade (S)Shell? U
Disk? wd0
Root partition? wd0a
Use the existing filesystems defined in /etc/fstab? yes
Edit fstab? no
Use network settings on root partition? yes
Manual network configuration? no
Location of sets? ftp
Http/ftp proxy URL? none
Display list of known ftp servers? no
Server? (IP address, hostname or 'done' ) ftp.openbsd.org
Does server support passive mode ftp? yes
Server directory? pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/zaurus
Login? anonymous
Set name? all ( etc.zz and xetc.zz will not be downloaded )
Set name? done
Ready to upgrade sets? yes
Getting bsd...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All BSD Sets should now begin to download... Time to complete download varies depending on the speed of your network connection and server usage at the time.

After all the sets have been downloaded you will be prompted once agian for the

q. locations of sets? done

OpenBSD will the begin making all device nodes and then ask you to Calibrate your touch screen.

After you have calibrated the touch screen you should see a message stating that you have now successfully upgraded your Openbsd zaurus system!

r. Type halt to reboot the system

It is strongly advised that you also download and unpack the corresponding etczz.tgz set found at ftp.openbsd.org/pub/snapshots/zaurus in a temporary directory and merge any changes by hand. Some components of your system may not function correctly until your files in `/etc' are updated. To accomplish this use a tool such as mergemaster. Mergemaster can be found in ports/sysutils/mergemaster

Finally you may want to rebuild some/all of your installed applications if they fail to operate correctly after upgrading. However, you will want to update your ports tree first.

s. Change to your ports directory:
# cd /usr/ports

t. Update your ports tree: ( This can take awhile )
# cvs -d anoncvs@anoncvs.openbsd.org:/cvs up -Pd
# make index

u. Update your ports via packages: (This is optional, you can rebuild your ports one-by-one from the ports directory)
# pkg_add -ui -F update -F updatedepends

+Quote Post
zogs
post Nov 9 2006, 05:00 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 5,953

for bsd.rd you can try on openbsd with:

# cd /
# wget ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/4.0/zaurus/bsd.rd
# reboot

and on the boot:

boot> bsd.rd

QUOTE(mathemajikian @ Aug 18 2006, 01:31 AM)
HOW TO UPGRADE YOUR OPENBSD  ZAURUS TO CURRENT SNAPSHOT

Warning! upgrades of OpenBSD are currently only supported from the
immediately previous release.

a. Copy the latest and greatest  zbsdmod.o and bsd.rd from
ftp.openbsd.org/pub/snapshots/zaurus to sd/cf card. 

b. Unplug Zaurus from AC power.

c. Remove battery cover from the SL-C3200

d. Leaving the Battery Cover OFF, return the battery cover lock to the LOCKED position.

e. Locate reset switch on the left side edge of battery compartment.

f.  Open the unit so that the keyboard is accessible with one hand and the base of the unit is accessible with the other.

g. Hold down D+B on the keyboard and whilst these keys are held depress the reset button using the stylus.

h. Release the D+B keys and within a few seconds the unit should start to boot into Emergency Linux.

i. Reconnect AC power.

j. Return battery cover lock to unlocked position, Replace battery cover, Lock cover.

k. Log into Emergency Linux using the username root (no password).

l. Insert the SD or CF storage card.

m. Change directory:
# cd /mnt/card for SD card or
# cd /mnt/cf for a CF card.

n. Load kernel module:
# insmod zbsdmod.o

o. cp bsd.rd to the zboot proc entry:
# cp bsd.rd /proc/zboot

You should now be observing the OpenBSD kernel boot messages.

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
mathemajikian   Upgrading Your Openbsd Zaurus   Aug 1 2006, 12:52 AM
iamasmith   Actually no, that updates the boot loader for the ...   Aug 1 2006, 01:05 AM
mathemajikian   ok, so to upgrade to the current snapshot what pro...   Aug 1 2006, 03:49 AM
Sequethin   QUOTE(mathemajikian @ Aug 1 2006, 07:49 AM)ok...   Aug 1 2006, 05:14 AM
iamasmith   actually there was a typo in my earlier response, ...   Aug 2 2006, 12:57 AM
mathemajikian   **************************************************...   Aug 17 2006, 05:31 PM
zogs   for bsd.rd you can try on openbsd with: # cd / #...   Nov 9 2006, 05:00 AM
mathemajikian   **************************************************...   Sep 3 2006, 12:14 PM
TronDD   What is needed to run mergemaster for the files in...   Oct 21 2006, 09:39 AM
mathemajikian   I always downloaded the entire cvsup tree and then...   Nov 8 2006, 01:03 AM
jpmatrix   help i've a little problem with the upgrade pr...   Nov 8 2006, 12:25 PM
TronDD   QUOTE(jpmatrix @ Nov 8 2006, 08:25 PM)is ther...   Nov 8 2006, 07:23 PM
jpmatrix   well, i used to download openbsd install files fro...   Nov 9 2006, 03:05 AM
mathemajikian   I just upgraded my Z to -current (which is pre-Ope...   Feb 9 2007, 01:39 PM
mathemajikian   4.1-beta is now available for testing.   Feb 13 2007, 04:09 AM
jpmatrix   QUOTE(mathemajikian @ Feb 13 2007, 02:09 PM)4...   Feb 13 2007, 09:16 AM
mathemajikian   QUOTE(jpmatrix @ Feb 13 2007, 05:16 PM)QUOTE(...   Feb 13 2007, 02:00 PM
jpmatrix   QUOTE(mathemajikian @ Feb 14 2007, 12:00 AM)Q...   Feb 16 2007, 02:13 PM
mathemajikian   $ dmesg OpenBSD 4.1-beta (ZAURUS) #5: Sat Feb...   Feb 17 2007, 05:48 AM
mathemajikian   QUOTEcan someone explain us the update news? From...   Mar 13 2007, 04:04 AM
mathemajikian   Anyone upgrading their Z to 4.1 should read the up...   Mar 13 2007, 04:17 AM
jpmatrix   i'm trying a cvs update. i'd like to say t...   May 13 2007, 12:43 AM
mathemajikian   QUOTE(jpmatrix @ May 13 2007, 08:43 AM)It see...   May 13 2007, 03:04 AM
jpmatrix   hmm i've just compiled and install a new kerne...   Jun 22 2007, 10:20 AM
mathemajikian   QUOTE(jpmatrix @ Jun 22 2007, 06:20 PM)hmm i...   Jun 26 2007, 10:58 AM
jpmatrix   QUOTE(mathemajikian @ Jun 26 2007, 08:58 PM)Q...   Jun 27 2007, 04:12 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th December 2014 - 09:59 AM