OESF | ELSI | pdaXrom | OpenZaurus | Zaurus Themes | Community Links | Ibiblio

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Altboot Opie Hangs On Bootsplash, only happens to loop-image opie on sd
post Aug 11 2006, 04:08 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,607

I'm trying to setup a loop-image opie on my ext2-formated 1gb SD card.
Flashed opie, then I used altboot to setup a loop-image, it installed with no problem. But while the loop-image is booting, the OZ bootsplash comes up, I do an ALT+Left to see the boot messages. Then, right after it goes "Press any key to interrupt... 5 4 3 2 1... Starting opie" it goes back to the "Press ALT+Left to see boot messages" screen and hangs. No response even from unlocking the battery cover.

I formated SD card with FAT, reinstalled loop-image from rootfs.tar.gz, same thing. The same loop-image works on my FAT-formated CF card. Direct-install on SD works likes a charm. Same results on another SD card I have. No problems at all with GPE.

So here's a summary, opie hangs on bootsplash, happens only on a opie loop-image on SD card formated with FAT or ext2.

Bad SD cards? Anyone else encountered the same problem? Please help.

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
post Aug 13 2006, 04:29 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 10,774

Hi Kai!

First of all big cheers to the OZ crew for getting these wonderful zaurus devices closer to their real destination!
But still some miles to go...

I just got the same trouble:
OZ opie on akita C1000 via altboot from 128MB loop image file on a 1GB SD card, ext2 formatted, rootfs installed through altboot from

Booting hangs exactly the way you described. Sometimes hard reset and rebooting may work, but yesterday I tried resetting three times, without success. I then booted into the internal system, and afterwards successfully rebooted into the SD loop image. There already seems to be a bug report related to this topic at

Sometimes there is some kind of message from the boot process, but it lasts quiet too short to make out any content, before changing to the black "Press ALT+Left to see boot messages" screen.

So, does anybody know how to debug these issues? Is there a way to enable more debug messages? Anyway I would like to see more kernel output instead of a splash screen.

For now, I'll try disabling the oz-bootsplash and see what's happening, as this issue is quiet annoying.

+Quote Post
post Sep 4 2006, 12:06 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 6,068

I've tested on my poodle with 3.5.4.X RCX and happens to me too.

I've reported http://bugs.openembedded.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1285.

+Quote Post
post Dec 28 2006, 06:22 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 7,962

I also have this, running OZ on a C-1000. There are at least two corresponding bug entries, #1197 and #1285. Has anyone looked into this and maybe found a fix or workaround?
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th November 2015 - 11:28 AM