OESF | ELSI | pdaXrom | OpenZaurus | Zaurus Themes | Community Links | Ibiblio

IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pdaxqtrom, do you leave apps running?
How Many of you leave your most used applications running in the background to avoid the slow starts?
How Many of you leave your most used applications running in the background to avoid the slow starts?
Preffer to leave applications running In the background [ 2 ] ** [40.00%]
Do not preffer leaving applications running in the background [ 3 ] ** [60.00%]
Total Votes: 5
Guests cannot vote 
Cresho
post Aug 23 2006, 10:55 AM
Post #1

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 809

so far, I run mozilla, abiword, galculator, gftp, gnumeric, epdfview running in the background with no problems. I even launch games within the sharprom and notice no problems with it(maybee some slowdownat times with the ZemuEX).

I'm curious about how you guys manage with the slow start of the applications like mozilla. What exactly are the pros and cons of leaving apps running in the background?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
adf
post Aug 23 2006, 03:48 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,572

QUOTE(Cresho @ Aug 23 2006, 06:55 PM)
so far, I run mozilla, abiword, galculator, gftp, gnumeric, epdfview running in the background with no problems.  I even launch games within the sharprom and notice no problems with it(maybee some slowdownat times with the ZemuEX).

I'm curious about how you guys manage with the slow start of the applications like mozilla.  What exactly are the pros and cons of leaving apps running in the background?

If I leave firefox running a whole lotta stuff gets dumped into swap, and changing active tasks gets a little slow. As a rule I don't leave the pdaxqt stuff open. Where possible I use the qtopia stuff in cacko, and only switch over when there is something that really can't be handled in qtopia. I suffer through the slow startup on firefox by only using it if I know I NEED its features, or if I'm doing a long session on the Z--- I'll go fix a drink or something while it loads. My experience with pdaxqt is that m ost of the time I don't need or use it. If I did I'd flash back to pdaXrom beta3 (which I really, rreally liked) I have pdaxqt for those few times when cacko just won't do.. like running firefox, or a remote x session. For those things alone, it is invaluable, though--the Zaurus is incredibly more capable with it.
btw... is cups in pdaxqt anyplace?

+Quote Post
gr8ful
post Aug 23 2006, 08:42 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,307

Since I mainly use pdaXQTrom for Gnumeric and Abiword, I endure the slow startup when I want to use them. I like the snappy performance of Cacko, so I try not to do anything that would impact response time.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 09:12 AM