2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 4.0 -beta Packages (and Asst C3200 Info) Available, perhaps useful to you
coreilly
post Oct 8 2006, 06:59 AM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,517

I got it going... I remember having a few freezing problems and went with Ion3. Since then, no problems. I'm only in X for dillo though. Try ion3 is my only suggestion. Sorry mate.

Anyone get dwm running on 4.0beta? It compiles fine, and works with the stylus (switches modes/desktops), but the moment I use any z keys it freezes.

I did try dwm out on laptop, and it's very cool! Right up my alley anyway. Could easily see using it full time on limited-resource devices. smile.gif

[/quote]
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
deluxe
post Oct 8 2006, 07:17 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 8,780

So, I can see using window managers that size windows to differing sizes and allow the user to move them about...........but only when they are displayed on a large (desktop) monitor. Otherwise, on a Zaurus, what's the point?? Whenever a smaller window pops up on the Z don't you guys wish the thing opened full-screen?? Or maybe my eyes are just too old, the eyestrain is getting to me...
Seriously, I'd like to know, what are the advantages, on the Z, of windows opeing up in less than full-screen size?

+Quote Post
coreilly
post Oct 8 2006, 07:20 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 8,517

I dunno? smile.gif

+Quote Post
mathemajikian
post Oct 8 2006, 09:22 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 10,349

Seriously, I'd like to know, what are the advantages, on the Z, of windows opening up in less than full-screen size?

You can't be serious? Look at this screenshot of ion3 in action:

Attached File  ion3_terms.png ( 368.41K ) Number of downloads: 121

If you cannot see the advantages of this then somethings wrong. I can have my windows open up to any size I want within ion3, it just depends on how my current workspace is configured. At any time I can open any window to fullscreen with a simple press of "META Enter".

+Quote Post
TronDD
post Oct 8 2006, 05:58 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 6,137

Well I made the switch from wmii to ion3. Wmii is a little simpler, which I prefer, but ion3 seems to just work more smoothly.

deluxe, Using wmii, and now ion3, I almost always have all my programs full screen. I'll do a horizontal split on the occasion that I need to see a couple terminals at the same time. Ion3 opens everything full screen (well, in tabbed mode) by default.

mathemajikian, Are you really playing Naruto with mplayer on the Z? One thing I haven't tried yet is video.

+Quote Post
mathemajikian
post Oct 9 2006, 03:10 AM
Post #21

Member No.: 10,349

QUOTE(TronDD @ Oct 9 2006, 01:58 AM)
One thing I haven't tried yet is video.

Video playback on the Z really isn't all that great; however, I found that if I encode the video with ffmpeg using the following settings the Z can handle it quite well:

ffmpeg -i anyvideo.mpg -s 320x220 -r 18 -an -b 276 -f avi anyvideo.avi

Here's an example video which I encoded with these settings and can be played via mplayer:

Attached File  redneck.avi.tar.gz ( 3.7MB ) Number of downloads: 21

And here's an image of it in action:

Attached File  screenshot.png ( 89.54K ) Number of downloads: 91

QUOTE(TronDD @ Oct 9 2006, 01:58 AM)
Well I made the switch from wmii to ion3.

Excellent choice! I'm sure you won't regret it. smile.gif

+Quote Post
TronDD
post Oct 10 2006, 05:14 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 6,137

Screenshots are handy. You've shown me the existance of pork. I couldn't get naim, my prefered ncurses AIM client, to compile and didn't know of a decent alternative. Pork seems to do the job and looks quite configurable.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th September 2014 - 08:55 PM