Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Unable To Detect Files On Memory Cards
jeevandras
post Sep 28 2006, 08:00 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,417

Hi,
I am still pretty new with my zaurus and linux trying to figure a lot out.

I m running OZ 3.5.4.1 Kernel 2.6.16 and Opie 1.2.1 on a C860.

I find that when I transfer a file from my XP through a card reader to my CF or SD card and then plug the card onto my Z, I don't see these files.

However, when I reboot Z, the files finally appear and whatever changes i have made on my cards are shown on my File Manager.

Does anybody know why this is happening? Do I need to reboot everytime I copy files over. I assume this has something to do with mounting the device. Is there someting I should do 1st before i plug and unplug my card.

I appreciate any advice you can give. Thanks!

Jeev
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
lardman
post Sep 28 2006, 08:59 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 464

I find that when I transfer a file from my XP through a card reader to my CF or SD card and then plug the card onto my Z, I don't see these files.

However, when I reboot Z, the files finally appear and whatever changes i have made on my cards are shown on my File Manager.

Are you talking about the doc tab, or the proper file manager here?

Check the output of 'mount' in the terminal after you insert the card to check that it has been mounted.

Si

+Quote Post
jeevandras
post Sep 28 2006, 10:29 AM
Post #3

QUOTE(lardman @ Sep 28 2006, 09:59 AM)

Check the output of 'mount' in the terminal after you insert the card to check that it has been mounted.

Si

Thanks Si and Xamindar,
I was just wondering, should the CF card be unmounted everytime I unplug it from my Z and remounted when I replug it?

I have reformatted the CF card with FAT on my XP. And then plugged it on Z and mounted on for example /media/cf by calling mount /dev/hda /media/cf

Then I suspend my Z and unplugged my CF card. Plugged it onto my XP copied a test file onto it. And unplugged it from XP and replugged it onto Z. Turn my Z on looked at the 'proper' File Manager software on Opie and went into the /media/cf but didn't find the file I copied over. The Z shows that CF is mounted on /media/cf

However, I then umount /media/cf and remount the CF onto /media/cf again and I see the transferred file!

I assume that there is an unmounting and remounting of the CF that needs to be carried out whenever i unplug and replug my CF but doesn't seem to be carried out.

Any idea what I can do?

Btw, how do I find out what ROM i have installed. The information I can gather so far from my Z is shown in my signature below. Is my ROM version one of them?

Sorry I am a newbie!

Once again, thanks for your advice.

Jeev

+Quote Post
brashley46
post Sep 28 2006, 09:59 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 7,227

jeevandras, I don't run OZ, rather CACkO 1.23; but I don't think it's a good idea generally to just pull out a memory card (or a camera or wifi card, for that matter) without unmounting it first. In CACkO there's a little icon on the taskbar which I can touch and bring up the mounted cards ... if I hit on the mounted card it will "eject" it (unmount it). Much easier than running a command I might mistype. Is there no GUI for this on Opie?

QUOTE(jeevandras @ Sep 28 2006, 01:29 PM)

Si

Thanks Si and Xamindar,
I was just wondering, should the CF card be unmounted everytime I unplug it from my Z and remounted when I replug it?

I have reformatted the CF card with FAT on my XP. And then plugged it on Z and mounted on for example /media/cf by calling mount /dev/hda /media/cf

Then I suspend my Z and unplugged my CF card. Plugged it onto my XP copied a test file onto it. And unplugged it from XP and replugged it onto Z. Turn my Z on looked at the 'proper' File Manager software on Opie and went into the /media/cf but didn't find the file I copied over. The Z shows that CF is mounted on /media/cf

However, I then umount /media/cf and remount the CF onto /media/cf again and I see the transferred file!

I assume that there is an unmounting and remounting of the CF that needs to be carried out whenever i unplug and replug my CF but doesn't seem to be carried out.

Any idea what I can do?

Btw, how do I find out what ROM i have installed. The information I can gather so far from my Z is shown in my signature below. Is my ROM version one of them?

Sorry I am a newbie!

Jeev

+Quote Post
jeevandras
post Sep 29 2006, 04:41 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(brashley46 @ Sep 28 2006, 10:59 PM)
jeevandras, I don't run OZ, rather CACkO 1.23; but I don't think it's a good idea generally to just pull out a memory card (or a camera or wifi card, for that matter) without unmounting it first. In CACkO there's a little icon on the taskbar which I can touch and bring up the mounted cards ... if I hit on the mounted card it will "eject" it (unmount it). Much easier than running a command I might mistype. Is there no GUI for this on Opie?

QUOTE(jeevandras @ Sep 28 2006, 01:29 PM)

Si

Thanks Si and Xamindar,

Any idea what I can do?

Sorry I am a newbie!

Jeev

Thanks Brashley.
I guess I figure what I was doing wrong. What you said was true. What I was doing is turning my zaurus off i.e. suspending it and then unplugging the cards. When I remove a card at such a manner, the OS is not aware of what happened. So when I turn Z on again, it still assumes the card is plugged in and does not update its file system. That explains why any changes I made to my card's content is not shown when i replug it in. However, when I reboot, the OS goes and remount the card, hence updating the filesystem as a result.
Great learning something new everytime I try to do something with this Z!!
However, to add... I have attempted to mount my cf card to a folder /media/cf using the command line it successfully mounts /dev/hda to that folder. However, whenever I remove the card (this time after unmounting it properly) and then replug it onto my Z, now.. instead of mounting the cf card to /media/cf, Z goes and automatically mount it on /media/hda. I assume it must be that there is somewhere I need to specify that Z should keep mounting my cf card onto my /media/cf folder everytime I plug it back in. Do you know how do I do this?

Anyway, next task... trying to get a video player running on my Z. At the moment my Z is still an expensive paper weight! Any idea on how to get one installed on OZ with a user interface that would work on Opie?

Once again, many thanks for your help. Deeply appreciated.

Jeev

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st August 2014 - 12:15 AM