2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Swap File Problem
Capn_Fish
post Oct 2 2006, 06:39 PM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,575

As far as I know, you want to keep the file as small as you can. This will cause more RAM to be used (there is a larger amount of RAM available than swap, so more is available for use and will be used) and will wear on your card less. It will also decrease the effect on speed that swap has.

Once again, corrections are welcome.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
desertrat
post Oct 2 2006, 07:38 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 8,322

QUOTE(uMP2k @ Oct 3 2006, 02:17 AM)
Actually, I was just wondering if what the advantages of a bigger swap file (maybe 64mb) might be?

The bigger it is the more programs you can run. I have a 256MB swap partition and usually have these programs running: dillo, mozilla (or firefox), abiword, stardict (with a number of large dictionaries), mrxvt, ka/pi, pwmanager, xmms ...

+Quote Post
uMP2k
post Oct 2 2006, 07:45 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 10,104

QUOTE(desertrat @ Oct 3 2006, 01:38 PM)
QUOTE(uMP2k @ Oct 3 2006, 02:17 AM)
Actually, I was just wondering if what the advantages of a bigger swap file (maybe 64mb) might be?

The bigger it is the more programs you can run. I have a 256MB swap partition and usually have these programs running: dillo, mozilla (or firefox), abiword, stardict (with a number of large dictionaries), mrxvt, ka/pi, pwmanager, xmms ...

Hmm - I will give "bigger" a go then.

I am addicted to running lots of stuff at the same time on my computers and that includes whatever my mobile device of the day is.

I am currently trying to get freeciv 2.10 beta 2 running and not having much luck, maybe a bigger swap will help!

+Quote Post
karlto
post Oct 2 2006, 08:30 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 8,243

QUOTE(Capn_Fish @ Oct 3 2006, 03:39 PM)
As far as I know, you want to keep the file as small as you can. This will cause more RAM to be used (there is a larger amount of RAM available than swap, so more is available for use and will be used) and will wear on your card less. It will also decrease the effect on speed that swap has.

Actually, any modern OS should utilise swap correctly regardless. Often forcing programs to use RAM can degrade performance and proper use of swap/virtual mem is much better. It shouldn't put something needed fast on slow swap, but it will significantly increase the amount of available memory.

Now someone much more knowledgeable will come along and tell me I'm wrong smile.gif

+Quote Post
Meanie
post Oct 5 2006, 06:05 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 6,686

QUOTE(karlto @ Oct 3 2006, 02:30 PM)
QUOTE(Capn_Fish @ Oct 3 2006, 03:39 PM)

Actually, any modern OS should utilise swap correctly regardless. Often forcing programs to use RAM can degrade performance and proper use of swap/virtual mem is much better. It shouldn't put something needed fast on slow swap, but it will significantly increase the amount of available memory.

Now someone much more knowledgeable will come along and tell me I'm wrong smile.gif

swap will always be slower than real physical memory but when we dont have enough physical memory then we need to use swap at the sacrifice of speed. cacko/sharp rom have an applet that can monitor available memory and enable/disable swap depending on need. this does not exist on pdaXrom but would be a great app for someone to port over.

also, remember the general rule of thumb. swapfile should be around 2-2.5 times the amount of physical ram. ymwv

+Quote Post
bluedevils
post Oct 5 2006, 07:47 AM
Post #21

Member No.: 1,633

I've learned that is not always true. If you are using a system with 4GB of ram and you are constantly swapping a 1GB of hard drive space, then there is something wrong and 8GB of swap is not the solution.

You have to be carefull of swap when you use the Z as a usb reader.

+Quote Post
bluedevils
post Oct 5 2006, 07:50 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 1,633

Sorry meanie, I didn't see the word "general"

+Quote Post
InSearchOf
post Oct 5 2006, 07:58 AM
Post #23

Group: Admin
Member No.: 8,961

Actually... I thought the general rule of thumb was 1.5... but on the Z I used 256.. just because I compile native apps and to much is never to much...

Late

+Quote Post
uMP2k
post Oct 5 2006, 02:34 PM
Post #24

QUOTE(bluedevils @ Oct 6 2006, 01:47 AM)
You have to be carefull of swap when you use the Z as a usb reader.

Please explain....

I use my Z as a card reader quite a bit at work and would like to know more about this.

+Quote Post
Capn_Fish
post Oct 5 2006, 03:09 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 10,575

I'd like to know how to use the Z as a card reader.

+Quote Post
karlto
post Oct 5 2006, 04:20 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 8,243

QUOTE(Meanie @ Oct 6 2006, 03:05 AM)
swap will always be slower than real physical memory but when we dont have enough physical memory then we need to use swap at the sacrifice of speed. cacko/sharp rom have an applet that can monitor available memory and enable/disable swap depending on need. this does not exist on pdaXrom but would be a great app for someone to port over.

also, remember the general rule of thumb. swapfile should be around 2-2.5 times the amount of physical ram. ymwv

Obviously swap is much (much) slower than real memory, but it is quite curious that adding more swap will cause it to be used instead and degrade performance. Is this Linux-arm in general, or is it pdaXrom specific?

+Quote Post
uMP2k
post Oct 5 2006, 04:21 PM
Post #27

QUOTE(Capn_Fish @ Oct 6 2006, 09:09 AM)
I'd like to know how to use the Z as a card reader.

As far as I know this only works with the Cxx00 series which have USB host built in.

Of course I may be wrong....

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd November 2014 - 10:46 AM