5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Lack Of Intrest In Forums Lately
Cyberdoc1971
post Nov 9 2006, 09:59 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,316

Not trying to complain, I now a lot of the forums are set for the technicial and programming side of the Zaurus. However, lately I have seen little to no new threads for news information, Zaurus games, utlities, etc. There have even been fewer threads from new Zaurus owners. I just don't want this to becme a technician's-only site, I just feel there needs to be more interaction around here.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dougeeebear
post Nov 9 2006, 11:17 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 3,959

I've noticed that when I check new posts in the morning, there is hardly ever more than one page, where there used to be 2-3 pages of new posts every day.

+Quote Post
bluedevils
post Nov 9 2006, 11:58 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 1,633

most influx of new owners happen with the launch of a new zaurus and many current owners have their "setup". If an exciting new zaurus was announced, you would see more activity. Also many of the things people need answer for have already been answered.

+Quote Post
Antikx
post Nov 9 2006, 12:16 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 6,127

I'm almost ready to post something exciting. wink.gif

+Quote Post
adf
post Nov 9 2006, 12:31 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 4,572

Also new releases of OZ or pdax tend to produce a flurry of tests and posts and updates.

both distros have been doing incremental improvement lately, i think

+Quote Post
Meanie
post Nov 9 2006, 01:03 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 6,686

newbys used to be able to register and ask away newbyish questions which could had been answered if they searched the forums first. these days, when people register, it takes a while until they are allowed to post. during tjis period, they can search and read the forums and by the time they have permission to post, most of their newby questions are gone since they already found an answer to their question by reading past posts...

+Quote Post
kurochka
post Nov 9 2006, 01:52 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 1,740

I've noticed some decline too. I guess this is the time to systematize the information that is already in the forums. Create more how-to's. Address some old unresolved issues/problems.

Meanie's approach to things (creating proactive manual) is great. I think his manual is responsible for answering 70% of questions. Maybe we all could document our experiences with different software, hardware, tips like Meanie did without waiting for questions. We could search for old forgotten software and have a thread to bring it back to life/attention. Our "Essential Z Software Megapost!" is just a list of software that people used. Maybe it should be more systematized with some description and short notes on how to use it. Comparison of several similar programs could be helpful for newbies.

Also some software has reached usable and mature stage and developers moved on. Can we get new developers interested in continuing the existing programs?

+Quote Post
Cyberdoc1971
post Nov 9 2006, 04:07 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(kurochka @ Nov 9 2006, 04:52 PM)
I've noticed some decline too.  I guess this is the time to systematize the information that is already in the forums.  Create more how-to's.  Address some old unresolved issues/problems.

Meanie's approach to things (creating proactive manual) is great.  I think his manual is responsible for answering 70% of questions.  Maybe we all could document our experiences with different software, hardware, tips like Meanie did without waiting for questions.  We could search for old forgotten software and have a thread to bring it back to life/attention.  Our "Essential Z Software Megapost!" is just a list of software that people used.  Maybe it should be more systematized with some description and short notes on how to use it.  Comparison of several similar programs could be helpful for newbies.

Also some software has reached usable and mature stage and developers moved on.  Can we get new developers interested in continuing the existing programs?

I agree we need more comparisons on essential programs, and we need more developers especially on the games/multimedia side. Also, I love Meanie's pdf maual; it answers a lot of questions for the first-time user, and great as a pdf on your Z when you come to a "what do I do now?" issue.

+Quote Post
Cyberdoc1971
post Nov 10 2006, 12:10 PM
Post #9

Also, it hasn't been mentioned much, there needs to be more development/participation/intrest for themes and walpapers as well. After being with Mobility Site & 1Src for a while, I feel that this site could be a lot more.

+Quote Post
dougeeebear
post Nov 10 2006, 12:14 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 3,959

QUOTE(Cyberdoc1971 @ Nov 10 2006, 02:10 PM)
Also, it hasn't been mentioned much, there needs to be more development/participation/intrest for themes and walpapers as well. After being with Mobility Site & 1Src for a while, I feel that this site could be a lot more.

A lot of people here donate their services for FREE!!
Plus they also have a life.
I don't think you've got much to complain about.

+Quote Post
Fushnchupsh
post Nov 10 2006, 12:34 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 8,282

Perhaps I am over stepping my grounds here as I rarely post unless I have a severe issue... But here are my two cents. OESF wasn't created by some sort of business that is trying to battle with competetors. Instead, oesf was created as a way for all of us to get together and unite our minds toward the furthering of the embedded linux platform. As such, to touch on what Mr. Bear said, everyone who runs this site, programs for the various roms or writes fantstic guide books is doing it as a hobby. This is not a job for most of us. We do it because we enjoy it. Taking this into account I am pretty damn impressed at the amount of information that is held within these forums. I am sure if you turned the amount of hours used for programming, web design and answering questions into a monetary amount, we could feed a small country!:)

I don't think it's relly fair to state what type of themes you want in a forum that is comprised of people doing a hobby.

Maybe I'm wrong. It's happened before wink.gif

In the end, we all rock because we are using linux/bsd and sticking it to microshaft.

--Fish

+Quote Post
Cyberdoc1971
post Nov 10 2006, 01:02 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(Fushnchupsh @ Nov 10 2006, 03:34 PM)
Perhaps I am over stepping my grounds here as I rarely post unless I have a severe issue...  But here are my two cents.  OESF wasn't created by some sort of business that is trying to battle with competetors.  Instead, oesf was created as a way for all of us to get together and unite our minds toward the furthering of the embedded linux platform.  As such, to touch on what Mr. Bear said, everyone who runs this site, programs for the various roms or writes fantstic guide books is doing it as a hobby.  This is not a job for most of us.  We do it because we enjoy it.  Taking this into account I am pretty damn impressed at the amount of information that is held within these forums.  I am sure if you turned the amount of hours used for programming, web design and answering questions into a monetary amount, we could feed a small country!:)

I don't think it's relly fair to state what type of themes you want in a forum that is comprised of people doing a hobby.

Maybe I'm wrong.  It's happened before wink.gif

In the end, we all rock because we are using linux/bsd and sticking it to microshaft.

--Fish

I wasn't trying to say any of this, I just thought there needs to be more intrest/developmet in certian forums and not make some of us novice users left out. I mean I've been using Linux for the past 2 years, and I still feel like a newbie.

+Quote Post
Antikx
post Nov 11 2006, 08:01 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 6,127

QUOTE(Cyberdoc1971 @ Nov 10 2006, 03:02 PM)
I wasn't trying to say any of this, I just thought there needs to be more interest/development in certian forums and not make some of us novice users left out. I mean I've been using Linux for the past 2 years, and I still feel like a newbie.

I agree and as my boss tells me.. "If you see it, you own it!" A.K.A. If you announce a problem you gotta fix it, or find a way to fix it. wink.gif
But I see and can appreciate your enthusiasm and good intentions. Keep it up and make it happen.

I've been using Linux for 10+ years and feel like a newbie some times.

+Quote Post
Cresho
post Nov 11 2006, 09:03 PM
Post #14

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 809

It is quiet. We are waiting for the new zaurus release and then questions will rise again. We have less developers than before.

+Quote Post
Cyberdoc1971
post Nov 11 2006, 09:16 PM
Post #15

I know it's a little off my topic, but what do you think the new Z will be like and when? I have heard all the speculation, and it is a crying shame that we have so few developers.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd December 2014 - 10:26 AM