IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Replacing Microdrive With Cf
Matthewmongan
post Jan 11 2007, 04:55 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,863

im getting a cl3200 to replace my tired jornada 720, but i have reservations about microdrives.

i did a search and found some info on replacing the micro drive with a larger micro drive but nothing on a cf replacement. i have several questions:

is their any reason i should shy away from replacing the 6gig mcd with an 8gig cf and running cacko?

is the lowered power consumption and faster load times of a cf card really worth the time/expense/risk?

do i really need to worry about micro drive failure?

if anyone could answer these questions and provide some detailed information on exactly how to install a new cf card that would be wonderful.

i use mandriva linux so doing linux partitions are within my abilities.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
BarryW
post Jan 11 2007, 05:10 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 3,570

QUOTE(Matthewmongan @ Jan 11 2007, 03:55 PM)
im getting a cl3200 to replace my tired jornada 720, but i have reservations about microdrives.

i did a search and found some info on replacing the micro drive with a larger micro drive but nothing on a cf replacement. i have several questions:

is their any reason i should shy away from replacing the 6gig mcd with an 8gig cf and running cacko?

is the lowered power consumption and faster load times of a cf card really worth the time/expense/risk?

do i really need to worry about micro drive failure?

if anyone could answer these questions and provide some detailed information on exactly how to install a new cf card that would be wonderful.

i use mandriva linux so doing linux partitions are within my abilities.

The force required to kill a microdrive will render the Zaurus to dust. Microdrives also don't lose data size over time like cf cards will.

+Quote Post
Matthewmongan
post Jan 11 2007, 06:21 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 13,863

thanks for the fast reply.

that is very good to know. i hear horror stories about laptop hds failing and such, but i guess with the smaller moving mass the micro drive is more robust.

+Quote Post
BarryW
post Jan 11 2007, 10:58 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 3,570

QUOTE(Matthewmongan @ Jan 11 2007, 05:21 PM)
thanks for the fast reply.

that is very good to know. i hear horror stories about laptop hds failing and such, but i guess with the smaller moving mass the micro drive is more robust.

All drives eventually fail. The microdrive is no different. Since we (cacko users) aren't actually running the os off the drive, they will last longer.

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd July 2014 - 01:53 AM