IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Replacing Microdrive With Cf
Matthewmongan
post Jan 11 2007, 04:55 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,863

im getting a cl3200 to replace my tired jornada 720, but i have reservations about microdrives.

i did a search and found some info on replacing the micro drive with a larger micro drive but nothing on a cf replacement. i have several questions:

is their any reason i should shy away from replacing the 6gig mcd with an 8gig cf and running cacko?

is the lowered power consumption and faster load times of a cf card really worth the time/expense/risk?

do i really need to worry about micro drive failure?

if anyone could answer these questions and provide some detailed information on exactly how to install a new cf card that would be wonderful.

i use mandriva linux so doing linux partitions are within my abilities.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
speculatrix
post May 12 2007, 12:03 PM
Post #2

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4,149

I think it depends on whether you're going to mainly store data on the drive which isn't being rewritten all the time... if you run cacko for example, you should be fairly safe unless you put swap on the CF.

if you really MUST put swap on the CF, partition it up such that you create the swap part'n right at the end of the CF card, so that if you do wear it out (you'd only create say 256MB swap anyway, any more is pointless) and get bad blocks, simply repartition and stop using that area of the card!

in fact, even if you did use OZ, provided that you ensured that the CF was formated jffs(2) which spreads wear, mounted it noatime/async and didn't have loads of file rewriting, you'd probably get away with it?

I've thought about this a lot, but would still prefer to try and get a hitachi 20GB microdrive which exist but aren't generally on sale.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2014 - 04:47 AM