Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> too many guest in the forum....
post Mar 9 2004, 05:38 PM
Post #16

Group:
Member No.: 0

I think posts should REQUIRE ownership. Whether it's advice, flames, questions, or anything else, we should each be afforded the opportunity to guage the veracity of each post by our estimation of the accuracy/relevence of the poster's PREVIOUS posts. Anonymous flames are bogus, IMO, so is anonymous advice.

Just my $.02.

sriley
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
zmiq2
post Mar 10 2004, 12:38 AM
Post #17

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,038

Using mozilla, I get logout whitout knowing in about 1hr; also, the autologin feature doesn't seem to work => usually I end up posting as guest, since the quick reply option seems very useful to me.

zmiq2

+Quote Post
pakman
post Mar 10 2004, 01:49 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 2,204

n8a wrote:
As for z owners, I can't imagine why someone would prefer to stay guest (we're anonymous regardless)

... and for the really paranoid (like me :-) ) you can use a Spamgourmet e-mail address to register, so it doesn't matter too much if anyone breaks into the board's database and steals the addresses.

P.

+Quote Post
Foxdie
post Mar 10 2004, 02:51 AM
Post #19

Group: Admin
Member No.: 875

I rely heavily on the quick reply feature. I would prefer that we disable guest posting completely. It doesn't take long to register with the forums and your email address is never given to anyone, it's just for verification purposes.

+Quote Post
lardman
post Mar 10 2004, 03:04 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 464

I still think guest posting should be allowed. We don't have a particular troll problem and if people were forced to give some kind of description to themselves (but still be guests) that would be fine imho.

It's true that it doesn't take long to register but it's still a pain for people who are thinking about getting a Z but haven't got one yet and so are only after a quick question, etc.

Si

+Quote Post
n8a
post Mar 11 2004, 10:08 PM
Post #21

Member No.: 1,359

Since it seems that many would like to maintain the ability to post as guest (and there's no troll prob), may I suggest:
When you click submit in the quick reply and are not logged in, you get directed to a page to the effect of "You are not logged in. Please log in or click on GUEST to post this message as a Guest.
- Login fields
- GUEST button

That would at least stop the accidental guest posts. Of course, I don't have to implement this so it's easy to postulate!

+Quote Post
offroadgeek
post Mar 11 2004, 11:07 PM
Post #22

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

great suggestion... but since that would require more than a simple hack (basically beyond my php skills), I would like to know if there are any php/mysql developers our there that would be willing to work with me on this? I would be willing to pay a reasonable fee for their time. please pm or email me if interested.

thanks

+Quote Post
tumnus
post Mar 12 2004, 01:05 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 547

What about adding a name text box just above the Quick Reply box if you are not logged in?

So then it is easy to see whether you are logged in (no name box visible) or not when using the Quick Reply.

I'm not PHP developer either but I wouldn't have thought that would be a hard change and it's better than having yet another intermediate page. Plus you could stop people from posting without any name or names like 'guest' and give a brief explanation of why (so we can tell who's who when trying to help with problems/queries in a thread full of guests).

+Quote Post
Guest_tapjpa_*
post Mar 12 2004, 02:11 AM
Post #24

Guests

What about adding a name text box just above the Quick Reply box if you are not logged in?  

When I'm logged on I see the following:

FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups
Profile You have no new messages Log out [ tapjpa ]
Minimize Go to Administration Panel

At the top of the page. Notice it has my name following the logout option.
Isn't this basicly here already?[/img]

+Quote Post
hammy
post Mar 12 2004, 02:21 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 2,277

All this inspired me to sort out my username (was hamiltonpruim), sig, etc, etc, :wink:

Hamilton

+Quote Post
hammy
post Mar 12 2004, 02:26 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 2,277

Shame the sig didn't work first time :?

Hamilton

+Quote Post
tumnus
post Mar 12 2004, 02:48 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 547

FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups    
Profile   You have no new messages   Log out [ tapjpa ]    
Minimize   Go to Administration Panel    

Isn't this basicly here already?

Obviously some people are missing all this and just look at the Quick Reply box. If there's something right next to that box that indicates the person is not logged on it would be nice. But this is also about making it easy for guests to still post as guests, yet identify their posts.

+Quote Post
nilch
post Mar 12 2004, 06:48 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 1,034

I always use the quick reply too - its the best feature of this board maybe.
So Offroadgeek, don't take that away.

As for inadvertant logouts - it happens to me like once a week, or sometimes twice in a week. Otherwise it seems perfect (like this morning).

I wouldn't want the guest posting to go either, since its true that many first-comers to the forum would want to post without registering rightaway, but lets all follow and try to instill the etiqutte of logging in and posting.

On the other-hand I must say I love the guest feature for those times when I want to vent my anger and tongue lashing at some jerk who keeps repeating some banal arguments without making any points and adding aything to the discussion - those occasional monday-morning-blues induced aggresiveness and tendency to just snap at something for the heck of it - oh wicked me.
:mrgreen:

+Quote Post
Guest_tapjpa_*
post Mar 12 2004, 09:32 AM
Post #29

Guests

On the other-hand I must say I love the guest feature for those times when I want to vent my anger and tongue lashing at some jerk who keeps repeating some banal arguments without making any points and adding aything to the discussion - those occasional monday-morning-blues induced aggresiveness and tendency to just snap at something for the heck of it - oh wicked me.  
:mrgreen:

Exactly my point for wanting to kill guest posting, but at the same time I fully understand, it can be fun to take out ones agression for some poor unsuspecting newb wink.gif

+Quote Post
slocaus
post Mar 12 2004, 10:01 AM
Post #30

Member No.: 1,205

FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups    
Profile   You have no new messages   Log out [ tapjpa ]    
Minimize   Go to Administration Panel    

Isn't this basicly here already?

Obviously some people are missing all this and just look at the Quick Reply box. If there's something right next to that box that indicates the person is not logged on it would be nice. But this is also about making it easy for guests to still post as guests, yet identify their posts.

The above info is only obvious if you scroll to the top of the page. Since offroadgeek fixed the "go to new post" thingie, I never see the top of the page when I click on a link in the e-mail that notifies me of a new post. That is when I am often not logged in, since it is a new browser window started from my mail client.

I do think that warning/option to post as Guest is a good one. Since you are going to be hacking to get this, how about "Post as Guest and add Name"? You do not have to register to post, but allows you to be other than "Guest" (one of 6874932674682934689)? smile.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th September 2014 - 06:08 PM