Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Question Abt. Japanese Page Re Bluetooth Mod
daniel3000
post Mar 14 2007, 12:32 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,027

Hi huys.

I'm considering to upgrade my Zauri with USB Bluetooth modules.
Since I want to keep the hardware compatible with standard kernels and don't want to do too many modifications to the hardware, I'm looking into the simple solution:
Take a normal USB BT module, connect it 1:1 to the USB port with a power switch, which will probably be blocking the USB port when BT is used. This limitation is okay with me.

I think this method is described here:
http://www.piro.hopto.org/~piro/pukiwiki/p...%A2%B2%BD%5D%5D

But since I cannot read any Japanese, would anyone able to read that please let me know how the switch must be connected?
From the pics it seems the switch only switches one line. But which one?
Is it really enough to switch only one line (probably one of the power lines)?
When the data lines are still co nnected to the BT module, can other USB devices which are attached in a normal way to the USB port still work without a problem?

Once I know all this, I will begin with the surgery and take some better pictures to put them onlilne.
I think this is a great way of enhancing the functionality of a Zaurus!

aTdHvAaNnKcSe
daniel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
pelrun
post Mar 14 2007, 01:31 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 4,488

You need to switch two lines with a dual-pole (DPDT or DPST) switch. I suggest one pole goes between GND on the Z and GND on the module, and the other goes between GND on the Z and the ID pin in the Z's usb port. Which is next to the GND pin, btw.

If you were to permanently connect the ID pin to ground you would force the Z's usb port to always be in host mode, which will use more power even when nothing is connected.

+Quote Post
daniel3000
post Mar 14 2007, 04:20 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 7,027

QUOTE(pelrun @ Mar 14 2007, 11:31 AM)
You need to switch two lines with a dual-pole (DPDT or DPST) switch. I suggest one pole goes between GND on the Z and GND on the module, and the other goes between GND on the Z and the ID pin in the Z's usb port. Which is next to the GND pin, btw.

If you were to permanently connect the ID pin to ground you would force the Z's usb port to always be in host mode, which will use more power even when nothing is connected.

aha thanks...
so then comes to mind:
Wouldn't it be enough to wire the ID pin directly to ground on the module and only switch GND of the Z to GND of the module? That way the switch would interrupt module power AND the ID-GND-connection with just one pin...

Is there any picture or schematic where I can see the pin assignment of the Z USB port (backside, where I can solder)?
Can I solder directly to the legs on the back of the connector?

thanks
daniel

+Quote Post
pelrun
post Mar 14 2007, 06:20 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 4,488

QUOTE(daniel3000 @ Mar 14 2007, 12:20 PM)
Wouldn't it be enough to wire the ID pin directly to ground on the module and only switch GND of the Z to GND of the module?

Eek! blink.gif

Actually, I considered such a plan (that's the real reason I suggested switching GND instead of 5v) but rejected it when I realised it won't work.

ID and Z GND get shorted when a host cable is plugged into the port; that's how the usb host/client detection works. Which would cause the BT GND (already connected to ID) to be connected to the Z GND, and the BT would turn on. *Not* what you want when you already have another device connected smile.gif

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th July 2014 - 06:12 AM