> Why My Hard Drive & Software Are Obsolete
freizugheit
post Apr 3 2007, 06:48 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 811

http://www.lifehack.org/articles/technolog...e-obsolete.html

Do you agree with the article?

Google Reader is strongly recommended!!!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
desertrat
post Apr 3 2007, 08:36 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 8,322

QUOTE(freizugheit @ Apr 4 2007, 02:48 AM)

No way! I would not trust my data to be potentially held hostage by a nameless corporation.

+Quote Post
Cresho
post Apr 3 2007, 08:59 PM
Post #3

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 809

It doesnt matter, windblows vista sends data to microsoft anyway!

+Quote Post
Meanie
post Apr 3 2007, 11:07 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 6,686

QUOTE(Cresho @ Apr 4 2007, 02:59 PM)

if they did that without consent, then they'd be violating several privacy laws..., but they can always force users to let them by making people click ok as the only option...

as for the obsolete things, i remember many years ago, when oracle announced that PCs would be obsolete in a few years and replaced by little boxes, ie network computers which were fancy little multimedia boxes that had no harddisks and software installled locallly....

this is just the same concept revamped but using the internet as the medium.... might be useful for those for whom privacy is not a concern, ie generation y, but for most businesses any other sane people who don't like letting people freely snoop through their private things, its a no brainer.

+Quote Post
Antikx
post Apr 4 2007, 04:30 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 6,127

QUOTE(desertrat @ Apr 3 2007, 10:36 PM)
QUOTE(freizugheit @ Apr 4 2007, 02:48 AM)

No way! I would not trust my data to be potentially held hostage by a nameless corporation.

You could have your own data storage server setup in your basement.

+Quote Post
Capn_Fish
post Apr 4 2007, 06:50 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 10,575

QUOTE(Cresho @ Apr 3 2007, 11:59 PM)

I'm glad I got rid of Windows on all of my systems yesterday, then. =)

I like having all of my data/programs stored locally. It makes me (more) certain that somebody's not digging through my files.

+Quote Post
Antikx
post Apr 4 2007, 07:12 AM
Post #7

QUOTE(Capn_Fish @ Apr 4 2007, 08:50 AM)

We had a "Windows-Free Home" ™ for 3 years.
Instead of spending time fighting viruses and spyware I was constantly tweaking the family Linux computer to do what Windows users expect a computer to do. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Capn_Fish
post Apr 4 2007, 09:52 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 10,575

QUOTE(Antikx @ Apr 4 2007, 10:12 AM)

Instead of spending time fighting viruses and spyware I was constantly tweaking the family Linux computer to do what Windows users expect a computer to do. rolleyes.gif

That's what I do for fun anyway.

+Quote Post
adf
post Apr 4 2007, 05:09 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 4,572

QUOTE(Antikx @ Apr 4 2007, 03:12 PM)

Had? Had?! Heretic! Apostate! Infidel! you loaded windows on something?

(actually my wife uses XP and I occasionally use win2k on vmware or qemu, and of course, I use Cedega )

+Quote Post
Antikx
post Apr 4 2007, 05:24 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(adf @ Apr 4 2007, 07:09 PM)
Had?  Had?! Heretic! Apostate! Infidel!  you loaded windows on something?

(actually my wife uses XP and I occasionally use win2k on vmware or qemu, and of course, I use Cedega )

smile.gif
We upgraded our aging Pentium II 350 for an Intel iMac on the employee purchase plan almost a year ago. It dual boots Mac OSX and XP MCE but Bill Gates doesn't see much of us due to Mac OSX doing almost everything we need.
I don't mind Windows, I just like OSX/BSD and Linux better.

+Quote Post
adf
post Apr 4 2007, 10:06 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 4,572

Ok-- I rfa'd.

I'd love to have web based apps running on the web server in my den. I might be interested in hosting them with my lunarpages account.

I really like gmail. I'd probably really like the other stuff, but I keep several email addresses because I don't entirely trust google. Why start with the other software, too?

I'm not exactly always online. At work I have a proxy server--I'm really not inclined to tunnel out just to use a word processor. And, as you might guess, a lot of Ak isn't well covered by wifi or even gprs. Dependancy on web based apps would get anoying pretty quickly, I bet.

Oh...and yeah--maybe putting all my data on somebody else's boxes might be kinda dumb.

OTOH if the web based apps could be easily hosted....well that could be a big win for IT anyplace with a large lan/wan setup.

+Quote Post
Meanie
post Apr 4 2007, 10:26 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 6,686

QUOTE(adf @ Apr 5 2007, 04:06 PM)
Ok-- I rfa'd.

I'd love to have web based apps running on the web server in my den. I might be interested in hosting them with my lunarpages account.

I really like gmail. I'd probably really like the other stuff, but I keep several email addresses because I don't entirely trust google. Why start with the other software, too?

I'm not exactly always online. At work I have a proxy server--I'm really not inclined to tunnel out just to use a word processor. And, as you might guess, a lot of Ak isn't well covered by wifi or even gprs. Dependancy on web based apps would get anoying pretty quickly, I bet.

Oh...and yeah--maybe putting all my data on somebody else's boxes might be kinda dumb. 

OTOH  if the web based apps could be easily hosted....well that could be a big win for IT anyplace with a large lan/wan setup.

gmail has backdoors whereby a hacker can access anybody's imap folder... plus googles does not backup their mailboxes and merely rely on raid. so far their hardware has been good, but with time, there will be failures so storing stuff on google is not so safe, but for stuff you don't care about or things you have your own backups anyway, like photos you just want to access easily, gmail is good enough...
as for a web based word processor, yeah, great idea for like composing birthdayinvites, but i wouldn't want to do my business plan somewhere that any entry level hacker has access to...

+Quote Post
freizugheit
post Apr 4 2007, 11:34 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 811

For confidentiality, one can think of using encryption before uploading the data.

For backup, one can store a copy of encrypted data in each of cyberspace storage sites. But do not forget to keep a copy in your own backup system at home and last but not least, do remember your passwords of private keys.

+Quote Post
desertrat
post Apr 4 2007, 11:54 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(freizugheit @ Apr 5 2007, 07:34 AM)
For confidentiality, one can think of using encryption before uploading the data.

That's feasible only for "general" data and "bulk" online storage facilities. For stuff like eg google calendar, how do you encrypt the entries? Although it's possible to rewrite the app so that the contents are encrypted before they're sent off to the server, but you still always have to keep some "plain text" meta data. Compare with a pgp encrypted mail, the contents are protected but the mail headers by necessity are plainly visible.

+Quote Post
desertrat
post Apr 4 2007, 11:56 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(adf @ Apr 5 2007, 06:06 AM)
OTOH  if the web based apps could be easily hosted

It would be nice if they made gmail open source then I could host my own smile.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st September 2014 - 02:13 PM