OESF | ELSI | pdaXrom | OpenZaurus | Zaurus Themes | Community Links | Ibiblio

IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Forget The Zaurus - Itś Fujitsu Time!, Zaurus replacement 5 screen 7 hour batt
maximusz
post Apr 24 2007, 01:02 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,761

I have been looking for a replacement for the Z for a few months - this looks like a perfect match -

http://www.umpcportal.com/modules/news/art...php?storyid=524

I have no idea how it took us all so long to find this. On the 12th April, a date in Internet history and well before the Intel IDF, Hardspell published this image of the Fujitsu UMPC.

It looks like a rendering. They also published the following specs.

* Stealey processor - 800MHz
* 1GB memory,
* 40GB hard disk,
* SD reader,
* two cameras,
* 5.6 inches 1024x600 screen.
* Equipped two cell battery,
* Weight:499g.
* four cell battery can last 7 hours
[some spelling corrected from source]

The specs are in line with McCaslin/UMPC 2007. 3.5 hours for a two cell battery sounds good and slightly more than I had expected for a small screen device although this could be the best-case figure. Interesting to note the 1024x600 resolution on a 5.6" screen. Too high? In addition to those specs, I think there's a fingerprint reader in there somewhere.

I think it's time to get this device into the product database so we can track news, images and specs. Will do that later today.

VIdeo -- http://jkontherun.blogs.com/jkontherun/200...su_umpc_vi.html

letś just hope this gets out there in the next few months!!!
Attached File(s)
Attached File  image03.png ( 211.52K ) Number of downloads: 138

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZDevil
post Apr 24 2007, 01:13 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 2,882

Shall we also forget about our pocket? smile.gif

+Quote Post
maximusz
post Apr 24 2007, 01:29 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 10,761

QUOTE(ZDevil @ Apr 24 2007, 02:13 PM)
Shall we also forget about our pocket?  smile.gif

This is the best replacement that I have seen so far..... is there something better out there?

+Quote Post
cycle_55
post Apr 24 2007, 02:21 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 9,143

It definitely fits into the category of "interesting small laptop" but not in "Zaurus replacement". smile.gif

cycle_55

+Quote Post
HoloVector
post Apr 24 2007, 03:17 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 9,420

Too big for me. Looks like another vista unit so, no auto-resume. Pretty much a nonstarter for me.

+Quote Post
Ling
post Apr 24 2007, 03:37 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 3,563

Max,

I have had mine a few days now. Pocketsize isn't much good if you can't do what you need to do. I now have a useful device rather than one I HAD to constantly tinker with and never got quite right. If you must put it in your pocket, this isn't it. Good luck.

+Quote Post
Meanie
post Apr 24 2007, 03:50 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 6,686

QUOTE(Ling @ Apr 25 2007, 09:37 AM)
Max,

I have had mine a few days now. Pocketsize isn't much good if you can't do what you need to do. I now have a useful device rather than one I HAD to constantly tinker with and never got quite right. If you must put it in your pocket, this isn't it. Good luck.

just use the damn zaurus. it is still kicking ass! everyone who sees me using it is amazed about what it can do and wants to get one.

the Z is well designed hardware wise and will probably last a few more years by which time plenty of new devices will be out there. dont worry about all the new wannabes. give them a few years to mature before they are any good. the zaurus took several generations before it became this suprior mini pocketable laptop.

on the zaurus you either use a mature and stable distro which has eveything working, or those bleeding edge distros that use the latest kernels, etc... and are a bit faster but have half the features not working. its really up to you whether you want to actually use your unit productively or play around with it...

+Quote Post
Capn_Fish
post Apr 24 2007, 04:21 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 10,575

QUOTE(Meanie @ Apr 24 2007, 06:50 PM)
QUOTE(Ling @ Apr 25 2007, 09:37 AM)
Max,

just use the damn zaurus. it is still kicking ass! everyone who sees me using it is amazed about what it can do and wants to get one.

the Z is well designed hardware wise and will probably last a few more years by which time plenty of new devices will be out there. dont worry about all the new wannabes. give them a few years to mature before they are any good. the zaurus took several generations before it became this suprior mini pocketable laptop.

on the zaurus you either use a mature and stable distro which has eveything working, or those bleeding edge distros that use the latest kernels, etc... and are a bit faster but have half the features not working. its really up to you whether you want to actually use your unit productively or play around with it...

Hear hear!

+Quote Post
jfv
post Apr 24 2007, 04:55 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 202

QUOTE(Ling @ Apr 24 2007, 06:37 PM)
Max,

You mean you have one of these fujitsus? Are they for sale? More info, please.

+Quote Post
nilch
post Apr 25 2007, 07:38 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 1,034

While the specs are indeed impressive, nothing beats the Zaurus inthe price-performance comparison - Yet.

I mean the Fujitsu will probably sell for something like $2000 - thats too high a price for portability. The Zaurus wins hands down for this reason alone - for the price of a good portable solution, it does more than what you expected.

Really speaking who wants a portable device to run the whole gamut of word processing and spreadsheeting and picture editing in its full glory while on the move.
An on-the-move solution is wholly different from a desktop based (even laptop) solution. So just cramming in a desktop powered thingie in a portable package doesnt always make a winning solution.
This is where the price-performance issue comes in. Together. Not just price, not just performance alone.

My 2 cents.

+Quote Post
ralphrmartin
post Apr 25 2007, 07:53 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 5,192

QUOTE(maximusz @ Apr 24 2007, 09:02 PM)

That's overkill. There's no way anyone can read a screen that size of that resolution. This is about a specification war, not a usable device.

+Quote Post
raduga
post Apr 25 2007, 08:42 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 2,125

QUOTE(ralphrmartin @ Apr 25 2007, 07:53 AM)
QUOTE(maximusz @ Apr 24 2007, 09:02 PM)

That's overkill. There's no way anyone can read a screen that size of that resolution. This is about a specification war, not a usable device.

Dunno. Those pixels aren't a whole lot smaller than the Zaurus' 3.5" @ 640x480

I've found (poking at a sony UX-91) that downscaling its native 4.5" @ 1024x600
to 800x600 helps with readability considerably;
so if there's an option to downscale the Fujitsu screen, it could help;
if its not too fuzzy or artifacted.

+Quote Post
zmiq2
post Apr 25 2007, 11:43 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 1,038

I always see people complaining about too many resolution for a small screen; that's a wrong statement:

1) screen resolution, the more, the better (well maybe not but because of power requirements)

2) another issue is the font you use to display text, menus, ... which in moder UI is completely adjustable, so you can get your apps show at the size you want

So please, never complain about too much resolution and learn how to make your UI fonts at the proper size your eyes need !!

+Quote Post
ralphrmartin
post Apr 26 2007, 12:01 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 5,192

QUOTE(zmiq2 @ Apr 25 2007, 07:43 PM)
I always see people complaining about too many resolution for a small screen; that's a wrong statement:

1) screen resolution, the more, the better (well maybe not but because of power requirements)

2) another issue is the font you use to display text, menus, ... which in moder UI is completely adjustable, so you can get your apps show at the size you want

So please, never complain about too much resolution and learn how to make your UI fonts at the proper size your eyes need !!

In principle for (1) you are right. Agreed.

For (2), I know of NO modern operating system where you can change the onscreen resolution (i.e. you can tell the system I have x pixels per inch, please draw things accordingly). It is NOT just the font, but the size of the menubar, buttons, and all UI elements. There is some talk of resolution independence in Leopard, to some degree. I can see NO controls in Vista or Linux to tell the whole system of the dpi resolution.

+Quote Post
Meanie
post Apr 26 2007, 01:49 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 6,686

QUOTE(ralphrmartin @ Apr 26 2007, 06:01 PM)
QUOTE(zmiq2 @ Apr 25 2007, 07:43 PM)

In principle for (1) you are right. Agreed.

For (2), I know of NO modern operating system where you can change the onscreen resolution (i.e. you can tell the system I have x pixels per inch, please draw things accordingly). It is NOT just the font, but the size of the menubar, buttons, and all UI elements. There is some talk of resolution independence in Leopard, to some degree. I can see NO controls in Vista or Linux to tell the whole system of the dpi resolution.

have a look at project lookingglass

+Quote Post

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st December 2014 - 09:16 AM