OESF | ELSI | pdaXrom | OpenZaurus | Zaurus Themes | Community Links | Ibiblio

IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What Have I Done? - Clicked 'reboot' Now Japanese!, Help!
Guest_Zauri_*
post May 9 2007, 09:47 PM
Post #1

Guests

Just got my new C3200 and I clicked on 'reboot' in the Qtopia menu, & now it's in Japanese. How do I fix this back to English? I haven't got a backup. I am using Sharp ROM that came with the Z.
blink.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Snake
post May 9 2007, 10:06 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,836

QUOTE(Zauri @ May 9 2007, 09:47 PM)
Just got my new C3200 and I clicked on 'reboot' in the Qtopia menu, & now it's in Japanese. How do I fix this back to English? I haven't got a backup. I am using Sharp ROM that came with the Z.
blink.gif

Look at /home/zaurus/Settings/locale.conf what Language is set. If not en try to change to en and reboot again.

Regards,
Frank

+Quote Post
Guest_Zauri_*
post May 9 2007, 10:26 PM
Post #3

Guests

QUOTE(Snake @ May 10 2007, 05:06 PM)
QUOTE(Zauri @ May 9 2007, 09:47 PM)
blink.gif

Look at /home/zaurus/Settings/locale.conf what Language is set. If not en try to change to en and reboot again.

Regards,
Frank

Apologies, I don't know Linux so I don't know how to get into that path. I am surprisded I could mess it up by selecting something like reboot in the menu...

Is there a locale.conf icon I should be looking for in settings tab?

Regards,
Zauri

Ps. I look forward to getting Cacko on here sometime soon.

+Quote Post
sdjf
post May 9 2007, 10:45 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 8,551

Do you have a console installed? If you do not, there should be one on the CD that comes with Sharp ROMs, if Sharp included them the same as on the sl5500. If you do, then to look at that file, type:

more /home/zaurus/Settings/locale.conf

And look at the Language listed. On my early Sharp ROM, the language is not set, so I don't know the syntax to guide you. For orientation to Linux in general, you might check out the resources on my newbies page http://www.sdjf.esmartdesign.com/new.html for some simple command-line resources.

I am sorry you had to end up with this problem so early, and hope you can resolve it without too much difficulty.

Also type:

cat /proc/deviceinfo/locale

My Z shows "US" on the above, although the locale.conf file has no language info

Post your results and hang in there!

sdjf

+Quote Post
Guest_Zauri_*
post May 9 2007, 10:51 PM
Post #5

Guests

QUOTE(sdjf @ May 10 2007, 05:45 PM)
Do you have a console installed?  If you do not, there should be one on the CD that comes with Sharp ROMs, if Sharp included them the same as on the sl5500.  If you do, then to look at that file, type:

more /home/zaurus/Settings/locale.conf

And look at the Language listed.  On my early Sharp ROM, the language is not set, so I don't know the syntax to guide you.  For orientation to Linux in general, you might check out the resources on my newbies page http://www.sdjf.esmartdesign.com/new.html for some simple command-line resources.

I am sorry you had to end up with this problem so early, and hope you can resolve it without too much difficulty.

Also type:

cat /proc/deviceinfo/locale

My Z shows "US" on the above, although the locale.conf file has no language info

Post your results and hang in there!

sdjf

CD's are in Japanese for C3200. I don't know where to find a console in it. I thought I had one up on the screen before I messed it up, but I can't remember the icon.

Zauri

+Quote Post
sdjf
post May 9 2007, 10:59 PM
Post #6

It should look like a television screen, maybe in black? They usually do.

sdjf

+Quote Post
Guest_Zauri_*
post May 9 2007, 11:10 PM
Post #7

Guests

QUOTE(sdjf @ May 10 2007, 05:59 PM)
It should look like a television screen, maybe in black?  They usually do.

sdjf

I managed to download and install a terminal. I typed in those commands for locale.conf & it says 'Language = ja'
How do I change it to en?

+Quote Post
sdjf
post May 9 2007, 11:16 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(Zauri @ May 10 2007, 12:10 AM)

sdjf

I managed to download and install a terminal. I typed in those commands for locale.conf & it says 'Language = ja'

First, make a backup of the file so you can retrieve it if editing goes whacky:

cp -p /home/zaurus/Settings/locale.conf /home/zaurus/Settings/locale.conf.bak

I'd like you to look at the LearnUnixIn10Minutes article on my newbie page because I can't teach you all of vi here. I'm running out of lines, so will try to give commands in a second post, but please get that article.

back in a second,
sdjf

+Quote Post
Guest_Zauri_*
post May 9 2007, 11:26 PM
Post #9

Guests

QUOTE(sdjf @ May 10 2007, 06:16 PM)
QUOTE(Zauri @ May 10 2007, 12:10 AM)

sdjf

First, make a backup of the file so you can retrieve it if editing goes whacky:

cp -p /home/zaurus/Settings/locale.conf /home/zaurus/Settings/locale.conf.bak

I'd like you to look at the LearnUnixIn10Minutes article on my newbie page because I can't teach you all of vi here. I'm running out of lines, so will try to give commands in a second post, but please get that article.

back in a second,
sdjf

My battery has gone flat so I'll follow your instructions after I get some power back. Thanks for all your help sdjf & snake smile.gif

+Quote Post
sdjf
post May 9 2007, 11:28 PM
Post #10

Okay, someone else will have to tell you the best method to reboot or reset after the editing as our Zaurii are different and I don't want to give wrong advice. But here goes for the editing.

Of course, it also may be easier if someone else with a 3200 would give you their file, but here's what I can try to explain for vi. Put the file into vi with the following line, and then move your cursor inside the file to the same line that language is on:

vi /home/zaurus/Settings/locale.conf

Then type a colon followed by what I've typed below and hit enter or return. You should see the change appear on that line.

:s/jp/en/

and then save the file with a "wq" to write and quit:

:wq

And that's it. I don't think it will take effect until you restart the system but someone else had better tell you how to do that. And I'm not sure it's the only place to make a change, but we need 3200 owners to confirm that.

You can also check your new file with the original command you used to display it.

sdjf

+Quote Post
Guest_Zauri_*
post May 10 2007, 01:50 AM
Post #11

Guests

QUOTE(sdjf @ May 10 2007, 06:28 PM)
Okay, someone else will have to tell you the best method to reboot or reset after the editing as our Zaurii are different and I don't want to give wrong advice.  But here goes for the editing.

Of course, it also may be easier if someone else with a 3200 would give you their file, but here's what I can try to explain for vi.  Put the file into vi with the following line, and then move your cursor inside the file to the same line that language is on:

vi  /home/zaurus/Settings/locale.conf

Then type a colon followed by what I've typed below and hit enter or return.  You should see the change appear on that line.

And that's it.  I don't think it will take effect until you restart the system but someone else had better tell you how to do that.  And I'm not sure it's the only place to make a change, but we need 3200 owners to confirm that.

You can also check your new file with the original command you used to display it.

sdjf

Nope, for some reason it didn't work. I still hope I can upgrade to Cacko and get out of this situation. And I hope Cacko has that audible text reader in it too smile.gif Here's a hoping newbie.

+Quote Post
Meanie
post May 10 2007, 02:17 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 6,686

QUOTE(Zauri @ May 10 2007, 07:50 PM)
Okay, someone else will have to tell you the best method to reboot or reset after the editing as our Zaurii are different and I don't want to give wrong advice.  But here goes for the editing.

Of course, it also may be easier if someone else with a 3200 would give you their file, but here's what I can try to explain for vi.  Put the file into vi with the following line, and then move your cursor inside the file to the same line that language is on:

Then type a colon followed by what I've typed below and hit enter or return.  You should see the change appear on that line.

And that's it.  I don't think it will take effect until you restart the system but someone else had better tell you how to do that.  And I'm not sure it's the only place to make a change, but we need 3200 owners to confirm that.

sdjf

Nope, for some reason it didn't work. I still hope I can upgrade to Cacko and get out of this situation. And I hope Cacko has that audible text reader in it too smile.gif Here's a hoping newbie.

you will lose that text to speech app if you install cacko!

for your current problem type the following in your terminl./console

cp /home/zaurus/Settings/locale.conf /home/zaurus/Settings/locale.conf.bak

sed -e "s/ja/en/g" /home/zaurus/Settings/locale.conf.bak > /home/zaurus/Settings/locale.conf

reboot

and once its fixed, make a backup of your nand

+Quote Post
Guest_Zauri_*
post May 10 2007, 02:39 AM
Post #13

Guests

QUOTE(Meanie @ May 10 2007, 09:17 PM)
QUOTE(Zauri @ May 10 2007, 07:50 PM)

sdjf

you will lose that text to speech app if you install cacko!

for your current problem type the following in your terminl./console

cp /home/zaurus/Settings/locale.conf /home/zaurus/Settings/locale.conf.bak

sed -e "s/ja/en/g" /home/zaurus/Settings/locale.conf.bak > /home/zaurus/Settings/locale.conf

reboot

and once its fixed, make a backup of your nand

And presto! Thanks meanie. It's all back to English. Now I don't have to learn Japanese. Thanks for all your help - much appreciated smile.gif

+Quote Post
Meanie
post May 10 2007, 02:51 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 6,686

QUOTE(Zauri @ May 10 2007, 08:39 PM)
And presto! Thanks meanie. It's all back to English. Now I don't have to learn Japanese. Thanks for all your help - much appreciated smile.gif

yeah, you can learn chinese instead. much more people speak it...

anyway, you should install pico so that when you have problems in the future, you cn use pico to edit files (similar to old DOS edit program) instead of vi....

+Quote Post
speculatrix
post May 10 2007, 01:18 PM
Post #15

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4,149

just use the echo command thus

echo en > /home/zaurus/Settings/locale.conf

no editor required?!

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd August 2014 - 05:25 AM