IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Pma 430s Available
tux
post May 17 2007, 01:24 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 346

cool.gif If any UK members are interested in acquiring a new PMA430 then you should still be able to buy one from Morgan Computers Morgan Computers

I recently bought one from there and they still have them on offer. The current price is just under 200.

I should have posted earlier, hope this is of some use to somebody. biggrin.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
freizugheit
post May 17 2007, 04:59 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 811

BTW, any comments to Archos embedded devices' performance and reliability.

+Quote Post
arniel
post May 18 2007, 12:48 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 1,563

QUOTE(freizugheit @ May 18 2007, 12:59 AM)

Hi,
When I looked at the Archos some time ago, it looked perfect for my needs - playing multimedia files, surfing the web, driving USB devices etc. However, I found that it was slower than the 5500 that I already owned, and there are problems with way Archos have implemented Linux on it - some settings do not persist across reboots. Also, there are problems with e.g. supporting new codecs due to the sound driver and a collection of other issues that made me decide to get a dedicated multimedia player instead (the vivitar version of this). It's the usual case of the software not being implemented well.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings!

+Quote Post
tux
post May 18 2007, 03:45 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 346

QUOTE(arniel @ May 18 2007, 08:48 AM)
QUOTE(freizugheit @ May 18 2007, 12:59 AM)

Hi,
When I looked at the Archos some time ago, it looked perfect for my needs - playing multimedia files, surfing the web, driving USB devices etc. However, I found that it was slower than the 5500 that I already owned, and there are problems with way Archos have implemented Linux on it - some settings do not persist across reboots. Also, there are problems with e.g. supporting new codecs due to the sound driver and a collection of other issues that made me decide to get a dedicated multimedia player instead (the vivitar version of this). It's the usual case of the software not being implemented well.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings!

cool.gif Try looking for OpenPMA, I put their version of the software on. I'm having fun with this. Some of the Z ipks work without mods and some work with a bit of repackaging. You can still find the ARCHOS sdk and there are some helpful sites out there. smile.gif

No it isn't as fast as the Zs but a 30GB hard drive, built in wifi, usb host and the ability to record and play video out of the box is quite impressive. The lack of a 'backup' battery is a slight pain, if you hard reset you have to set the time again! rolleyes.gif

The biggest lack to me is the absence of a physical keyboard. But I think of this machine as more of a music player and pda than as a palm top computer. It also has its uses as a portable hard drive for the Zs which have usb host.

What a shame ARCHOS didn't follow the same route for the AV700. Carry a cheap usb keyboard and the umpc would have a cheap open competitor. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
pierro78
post Jul 22 2007, 07:45 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 2,743

just ordered one for US$199 at bhphotovideo.com :-)

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th July 2014 - 03:42 AM